The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Korean bbq is proof appropriation is a good thing. It's lineage.

Native Americans -> Spaniards -> English -> Freed Slaves -> Pan-America -> ... -> Korea

Each step adding to the glory. Hallelujah.

Korean Barbecue is awful though.

video

am embarrassed to admit we watched a couple more o' the videos made by the folks who created shady's korean girls video.  

the one we link below were kinda interesting (to Gromnir) as it had a north korean pov including insights 'bout north korean life.

as an aside, the korean girls also liked chicago pizza bestest... for whatever such is worth.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as far as we can tell, koreans like non-korean food very much. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's no secret have have very little respect for police. There are some decent genuinely conscientious people in law enforcement who are trying to do good. But the large majority are little more than armed thugs too stupid to comprehend or too arrogant to be troubled to learn the laws they enforce. Here is another example of the latter: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/utah-nurse-arrested-refusing-give-patient-s-blood-police-n798021

Yep, which is why I roll my eyes and laugh any time one of them get shot or dies in any other way and get the funeral for a fallen hero. Thank God for the proliferation of video cameras these days.

I certainly don't want to see any of them injured or killed. Even the asholes are still human beings with families that love them. But I certainly am uncomfortable with extending military decorum to law enforcement. To call it apples and oranges is still too close a comparison. Joining the police force or even the military does not make someone a hero. Sometimes cops do heroic things. Military members often do heroic things when in a situation that calls for it. But military service is a sacrifice.  The pays sucks, the conditions you are in usually suck. The work is long, hard, complex, stressful, and often done with no tolerance for error. There are no "shifts" in the military, You work when you are told to work and stop when you're told you can stop. If a cop has to work on Christmas at least 1/2 of that day will be spent with his family. Not even close to being the case in the service often enough. And if you don't like being a cop you can do something else. Be a cop somewhere else. If you don't like the military, tough s--t. You are in until your contract runs out. Maybe even longer if stop-loss is in effect. 

Police are paid a decent salary. They have better than average benefits. The government goes out of their way to cover for them when they make mistakes. i assure you military members get no such coverage. They are routinely thrown under the bus. It's not the same thing. And it annoys me when I see the equation of the two.

Mark my words, this detective will not get fired. They will hide him until this blows over and it will be business as usual again. It happens all the time.

Nah, waste of energy wanting cops to die or something, I just don't really care that much when they do - it's another death in the city. But yeah, cops really want to be military, most glaring of all is their use of 'civilian' to refer to people (what do they think they are?). Which isn't all that helpful. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

More details on the Salt Lake City cop vs nurse/Constitution story: http://reason.com/blog/2017/09/01/every-cop-involved-in-the-arrest-of-this

The patient, William Gray of Idaho, was driving a semi truck in Northern Utah when he was struck head-on by a man who veered into oncoming traffic on a highway in Wellsville on July 27. That driver, who died in the crash, was fleeing from the police in a high-speed chase. Utah Highway Patrol officers were responding to calls about an erratic driver, and the man, Marco Torres, 26, led police on a chase rather than get pulled over and detained.

So Gray's terrible injuries were a consequence of a police chase that he had absolutely nothing to do with. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. According to the coverage of the arrest, Payne said that he wanted to draw blood from Gray to check for drugs in order to "protect" him in some fashion, not to punish him, and that he was ordered to go collect his blood by police in Logan. It is not made clear in any coverage what exactly the police would protecting him from by drawing his blood without his consent while he was unconscious. Payne also said it was his watch commander, Lt. James Tracy, who told him to arrest Wubbels if she refused to draw blood.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Penzance world record attempt failed due to pub

An attempt by Penzance to beat the world record for 14,000 pirates in one place failed after a group accidentally stayed in the pub and missed the count.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I lol'd at the assertion that Clown phobia started with the original IT miniseries. Nothing to do with it or the book it was based on and everything to do with them painting themselves with corpselike pale faces, screaming eyes and red gaping mouths. If that is the face you paint for children, how bad is the one you had to hide under all that? Their very image is an inhuman monster packed in garish colors trying incredibly hard to be friendly. To children.

Fear of clowns signifies that your child knows enough not to trust the stranger offering candy from a van. Encourage it. The more trouble clowns get from this, the better. Drive some more of them out of business.

*shudder*

first read of title were not what were intended.  we saw something closer to, "american fools say information technology film costing them money," and were perplexed.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

first read of title were not what were intended.  we saw something closer to, "american fools say information technology film costing them money," and were perplexed.  

HA! Good Fun!

I am glad to know that I wasn't alone in this. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Seems like we should have significantly more stringent psychological screenings for police recruits.

if you wanna dig through some o' the old police violence threads on this board you will be able to find a few discussions 'bout the correlation 'tween various police qualities and excessive force complaints and convictions.  am knowing a few boardies who is dismissive o' the value o' education, but the most significant police attribute resulting in decrease in violence claims and convictions is the level o' education o' the officer.  yes, is correlative, so perhaps education level is not the reason for the decrease in abuse o' force 'mongst cops, but am thinking it doesn't much matter if one is simple looking for a way to avoid such problems.  

hire cops with at least college degree, and a large % of such events don't happen.

'course the resulting difficulty is almost nobody can afford to hire a force o' all college educated cops.  the pay for typical municipal cop with only high school education requirements is already excellent.  nevertheless, major cities still have trouble fulfilling hiring needs even with an extreme large pool from which to draw.  increase education requirement and you need increase pay as well, no? 

there is a solution to the problem.  sure, have only cops with university degree won't complete stop abuse o' law enforcement power, but it will great reduce. unfortunate, as with so many problems, money is a practical barrier to adopting the obvious solution.

HA! Good Fun!

Given the number of vets who decide to go into law enforcement after their enlistment is over, would probably convince more to take advantage of their GI Bill.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Seems like we should have significantly more stringent psychological screenings for police recruits.

if you wanna dig through some o' the old police violence threads on this board you will be able to find a few discussions 'bout the correlation 'tween various police qualities and excessive force complaints and convictions.  am knowing a few boardies who is dismissive o' the value o' education, but the most significant police attribute resulting in decrease in violence claims and convictions is the level o' education o' the officer.  yes, is correlative, so perhaps education level is not the reason for the decrease in abuse o' force 'mongst cops, but am thinking it doesn't much matter if one is simple looking for a way to avoid such problems.  

hire cops with at least college degree, and a large % of such events don't happen.

'course the resulting difficulty is almost nobody can afford to hire a force o' all college educated cops.  the pay for typical municipal cop with only high school education requirements is already excellent.  nevertheless, major cities still have trouble fulfilling hiring needs even with an extreme large pool from which to draw.  increase education requirement and you need increase pay as well, no? 

there is a solution to the problem.  sure, have only cops with university degree won't complete stop abuse o' law enforcement power, but it will great reduce. unfortunate, as with so many problems, money is a practical barrier to adopting the obvious solution.

HA! Good Fun!

Given the number of vets who decide to go into law enforcement after their enlistment is over, would probably convince more to take advantage of their GI Bill.

One of the best benefits of military service. That coupled with the fact the government pays tuition for classes taken while on active duty and the education value of the training you receive in and of itself makes a tour of military service one of the best educational opportunities in the US. If you take full advantage f everything it offers.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I suppose in a sense this could go up in Politics, but eh, it might be more for the conspiracy theorists...

- Why are so many Russian diplomats dying?

Russian ambassador Migayas Shirinskiy has become the eighth Kremlin diplomat to die since the election of Donald Trump in November 2016, sparking conspiracy theories.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

D'oh. Gfted already posted this

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

am not a rodeo fan, but an intriguing bit o' history nevertheless.

ONeal-Browning.jpg?xid=PS_smithsonian

"At six feet 180 pounds, he was an imposing presence. He had witnessed his first prison rodeo event as a free man in 1946. Three years later, he’d have the opportunity to compete after being sentenced to life in prison for murdering his father with an axe.

"By the 1970s, he had won the Top Hand Buckle a record seven times, despite having only one thumb. In one interview, Browning was matter-of-fact about the injury: He explained that while steer roping, his left thumb got caught in the rope loop and “When the steer jerked, it pulled it completely off.”"

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/desegregation-came-early-texas-prison-rodeo-180964672/

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

And she'll have "I gave up my nobility for you" to hold over him

• Like 2

:lol:  Wow, I never considered that. That poor guy has lost every argument they will ever have before they even have one.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

by the same token, every time they get in an argument he can point out how she ain't a princess no more, even if she continues to act like one.

HA! Good Fun!

by the same token, every time they get in an argument he can point out how she ain't a princess no more, even if she continues to act like one.

HA! Good Fun!

That would be a weak comeback though.

Thomas Sowell

truth to tell, am not thinking "i gave up my nobility" means much.   gave up the responsibility after getting all the benefits o' having been raised royal?  am suspecting there will now be a few noble-only hot springs she cannot visit or some such similar nonsense, but she already got the benefits o' the best medical and educational resources yen could buy.  is not as if she is being disowned or reduced to pauper status neither.  "i gave up my appendix for you." meh.

'course we may be showing personal bias as we thinks hereditary nobility in a modern nation is as stupid and wasteful as an ejection seat on a helicopter. 

HA! Good Fun!

'course we may be showing personal bias as we thinks hereditary nobility in a modern nation is as stupid and wasteful as an ejection seat on a helicopter. 

HA! Good Fun!

Perhaps I'll come off as at least a little pedantic but the Kamov design bureau did come up with one for the Ka-50/52 attack helicopters. Perhaps a better analogy is a military maintaining seven different types of land-based ICBMs, three types of SLBMs, and having two new strategic bomber designs in the pipe.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling