The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Hm, so is this PETA just being PETA?

PETAs death squad arrives in Houston

That is a little sensationalized... but only a little. PETA is bad news for many reasons, not the least of which they do kill animals by the score.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In early June, Japan’s parliament enacted a one-time change in the law which will allow the 83-year old Akihito to abdicate in favor of his eldest son Crown Prince Naruhito, 5, for Japan’s Chrysanthem Throne.

I'm pretty sure Crown Prince Naruhito is 57 not 5, MSN & Time...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'm sorry, but I can't really picture this crashing into Starkiller Base II. 

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Cop shoots news photographer. Thought camera on a tripod was a weapon:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/09/ohio_deputy_shoots_news_photog.html

I would give the police in this country a choice: Give up your firearms while on duty or give up your qualified immunity. Pick one. You cannot have both.

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Woman trapped in window trying to retrieve poo after Tinder date.

What the hell....are toilets in the UK the same as toilets in France....just a hole in the ground that don't flush?

I love that he crowdfunded to fix the window, ended up with more money, and is donating it to a charity that helps with plumbing in 3rd world countries. :p  Oh and they are still seeing each other!

• Like 1

Cop shoots news photographer. Thought camera on a tripod was a weapon:

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/09/ohio_deputy_shoots_news_photog.html

I would give the police in this country a choice: Give up your firearms while on duty or give up your qualified immunity. Pick one. You cannot have both.

Send then overseas to fight ISIS or something. Win-Win no matter what

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Their Empire is reduced from what it was when Palpatine led it, yet they have the resources to build biiiigger superweapons.

I mean, okay, Palpatine tended to do it on the sly, so all of his superweapons had to be built behind cover, and use of resources that could be hidden from the Senate and such, so that could technically be why he couldn't just go big constantly. From the sound of it, Snoke doesn't have to worry so much about that, just keeping spies and rumours from kicking off about his secret superweapons and the like. But still, how does he have the resources and logistics for managing all of this?

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I believe so but they've already tried to outdo the Death Star with Starkiller base which was a whole planet turned into a weapon

Sure but that is arguably a stationary gun that uses the resources of the planet itself to power the weapon. I mean, I think it is silly and the range is dumb, but it could be a much cheaper project than a moving moon.

Maybe that was why I liked Empire best. Not only did it make the Empire seem dangerous it didn't rely on a "superweapon".

In practical economics though the cost of building the Death Star would have been ruinous. The cost of losing it more so. They would not have been able to build a second one. And the writers would have needed to put a little more effort into Return of the Jedi which would not have been a bad thing. 

It sucks growing up and seeing all the major plot holes and logic fails in the stories you loved as a kid doesn't it? 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why the New Republic armed forces are called "the Resistance" when in fact that title is more appropriate for the First Order all things considered. 

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I just hope the next movies are a lot better storywise

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed TFA the first time I watched it but subsequent viewings became rough to sit through as the shininess and spectacle of it wore off

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm still a bit puzzled as to why the New Republic armed forces are called "the Resistance" when in fact that title is more appropriate for the First Order all things considered. 

Yeah me too. Didn't the rebellion win the war in Ep 6? How is the Empir.... excuse me First Order a thing?

Maybe they really had no ideas and just copied A New Hope. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

The novel trilogy by Chuck Wendig is canon set between Jedi and Force Awakens explaining the origin of the First Order.

Although even I have to agree about coming down to earth after watching VII enough times. Same with Rogue One. I'm content to wait for VIII.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

The Death Star still seems to be the more expensive project though. Wasn't it the size of a small moon?

If I recall my statistics, the first Death Star was 90 km in diameter, and then the 2nd Death Star was about 120km in diameter. But you also have to think, the original Death Star was slowly built over about 20 years. I don't think anyones said the timeline on when the 2nd one was started...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2nd one used non union labour, obviously.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Maybe that was why I liked Empire best. Not only did it make the Empire seem dangerous it didn't rely on a "superweapon".

In practical economics though the cost of building the Death Star would have been ruinous. The cost of losing it more so. They would not have been able to build a second one. And the writers would have needed to put a little more effort into Return of the Jedi which would not have been a bad thing. 

It sucks growing up and seeing all the major plot holes and logic fails in the stories you loved as a kid doesn't it? 

Star Wars probably has an cRPG economy, where the merchants have infinite gold to buy things, and the Emperor and Darth Vader just did a couple of dozen dungeon crawls, carried every single piece of armor and weapons out of the dungeons, sold it to the merchants and used the gold to fund the Death Star.

The reason why the Emperor doesn't show up until Empire is that he was doing a massive 99 level dungeon crawl to fund the second Death Star during it.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man