The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

This seems like a self correcting problem here.

• Like 6

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wonder what happened with his Obamacare?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Obamacare isn't free. Even if he was enrolled in some sort of program, he would still need to pay for the insulin.

I think the story is from this article: https://www.thenation.com/article/alex-azar-trumps-hhs-pick-has-already-been-a-disaster-for-people-with-diabetes/

It's clearly a very biased site, although it does look like insulin prices are on the rise.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/several-probes-target-insulin-drug-pricing-n815141

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

23795164_468550070207868_389805968422228

Sure there is. Involves bootstraps.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Obamacare isn't free.

Isnt the monthly Obamacare cost based on your income and family size? I don't know as I don't use it.

EDIT: My bad, just looked it up. Costs around the same as a car payment (for an individual): How Much Does Obamacare Cost in 2017?

That doesn't seem like a good deal. How is the minimum wage worker to afford that on top of everything else in life? Probably better to just eat the penalty. :lol:

Just got back from a quick look at the codex. Highlights include calling any women warriors "trannies", describing Pelligrina as a "negress", a giant anti-Beamdog circlejerk, and some bizarre assumptions on history. Why is it a place with great articles, and some pretty decent place in games is filled with such **** people

Typical emotional response. Show you guys an article or a picture and you are ready with pitchforks and torches to tear down society.

Typical emotional response, you see an article or a pircture and you're with ready with pitchforks and torches to blame the individual.

Snark aside, you're right in that we should always consider all options. A person dying though, requires more scrutiny.

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

Well that is why I tend to throw in a bunch of this random stuff. To see what conversation it starts, and get people thinking about all sides of the equation.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

23795164_468550070207868_389805968422228

Sure there is. Involves bootstraps.
Just because a guy died we are to assume he was a poor, good fellow?

How about he couldn't afford for the insulin because he blow all his money on booze and drugs?

Or he refused to work because he was "to good" for work?

Typical emotional response. Show you guys an article or a picture and you are ready with pitchforks and torches to tear down society.

Nope not that. Just a snark at the typical unsympathetic response to the tweet. Point isn't really about the individual, in any case Edited by Malcador

most of them are there by their own design, but still... 

I don't think I'll ever really understand that sentiment.. Most of the people you find on the street are there because their support network was a drain on them, rather than an actual support. Getting your life in order is next to impossible completely on your own and many are saddled with abusive parents, ptsd or a host of other disabilities.

Just having constructive friends is clearly a luxury most of us take for granted.

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't think I'll ever really understand that sentiment.. Most of the people you find on the street are there because their support network was a drain on them, rather than an actual support. Getting your life in order is next to impossible completely on your own and many are saddled with abusive parents, ptsd or a host of other disabilities.

Just having constructive friends is clearly a luxury most of us take for granted.

I mean, most of them are in that situation due to substance abuse. Which is "of your own design", imo.

I mean, most of them are in that situation due to substance abuse. Which is "of your own design", imo.

including the children who make up 1/4 o' all homeless in the US?  physical disabled also account for a startlingly large % o' homeless-- without family/friends to supplement, fed/state disability money typical ain't sufficient to keep people housed and fed.  also, anywhere 'tween 10% and 20% o' homeless adults is serious mental ill, though admitted a large percentage o' the mental ill homeless is alcoholics or abusing controlled substances.  even so, is kinda souless to use the "of your own design" bit to describe the alcoholic schizophrenic who cannot pull himself out o' his situation.

based on our observations, hopelessness is the biggest problem facing most homeless.  for a person w/o hope, even if they is able-bodied and mental capable o' improving their lot in life, making positive changes is impossible.  

given the amount o' time we spend at the local catholic food bank/soup kitchen/school for homeless children, we can get a bit preachy on the subject o' homelessness.  sure, not everybody who needs help deserves it, but for Gromnir it has never been 'bout deserve. 

• Like 6

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Hmm, so is anybody actually responsible for any of their actions? Every problem is splained away with; cray cray, mistreated, mentally scarred, physically scarred, failure of "the system" or failure of "friends and family". Alrighty then. :thumbsup: Just so I have a good starting reference point, can anyone provide me any example of a bad situation that is the fault of the individual?

including the children who make up 1/4 o' all homeless in the US?  physical disabled also account for a startlingly large % o' homeless-- without family/friends to supplement, fed/state disability money typical ain't sufficient to keep people housed and fed.  also, anywhere 'tween 10% and 20% o' homeless adults is serious mental ill, though admitted a large percentage o' the mental ill homeless is alcoholics or abusing controlled substances.  even so, is kinda souless to use the "of your own design" bit to describe the alcoholic schizophrenic who cannot pull himself out o' his situation.

based on our observations, hopelessness is the biggest problem facing most homeless.  for a person w/o hope, even if they is able-bodied and mental capable o' improving their lot in life, making positive changes is impossible.  

given the amount o' time we spend at the local catholic food bank/soup kitchen/school for homeless children, we can get a bit preachy on the subject o' homelessness.  sure, not everybody who needs help deserves it, but for Gromnir it has never been 'bout deserve. 

I wish there was a "gild this post for posterity" option, but I sure as heck liked it with a vengeance!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Hmm, so is anybody actually responsible for any of their actions? Every problem is splained away with; cray cray, mistreated, mentally scarred, physically scarred, failure of "the system" or failure of "friends and family". Alrighty then. :thumbsup: Just so I have a good starting reference point, can anyone provide me any example of a bad situation that is the fault of the individual?

I think the reasoning is rather than wash our hands after saying "it's their own damn fault", you try to symptathize with "why?" - but perhaps that asking too much?

Fortune favors the bald.