The Weird, Random and Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

in-n-out appears to be coming to colorado. 

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/in-n-out-colorado/

a reason to visit colorado again... well, other than the scenic vistas and excellent outdoor sports.

will probable wait for an in-n-out to open. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

in-n-out appears to be coming to colorado. 

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/in-n-out-colorado/

a reason to visit colorado again... well, other than the scenic vistas and excellent outdoor sports.

will probable wait for an in-n-out to open. 

HA! Good Fun!

Keep going east In n Out. 800 more miles or so!

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Amazing story. Voyager 1 is 13.1 billion miles from Earth and travelling away at a velocity of 11 miles/second (2.09x10^10 km & 17 km/s). It has not used it's main thruster for an trajectory correction since Nov 8 1980. But, with it's small attitude thrusters starting to fail the JPL activated the main thruster after a 37 year cold soak. And it worked. They do NOT build them like that anymore. https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-turns-voyager-dormant-thrusters-233207049.html

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It was one of the other deep space probes that we lost contact with I believe. Anyways, not sure if we keep overengineering our probes and rovers and keep getting surprised by it or we are just that good and we are underestimating ourselves. Or possibly a combination of the two.

Of course, the probes do have to survive the harsh environment in space, so, they're pretty hardy to start with.

Edited by smjjames

New electronics are far more sensitive to damage than older solutions, and the more complex your systems the more points of failure there are.

I also think that funding as shrunk relative to what it had been, and far more bright people are pursuing other avenues.

It was Pioneer 10 we last heard from in 2003. It was launched in 1972. Believe it or not both voyagers are actually travelling much faster. Voyager 1 passed it as the farthest object a few years ago. Voyager 2 will surpass it in 2019. If Pioneer does not hit anything along the way is will pass near the star Alderbaran in 2 million years or so. Pioneer 11 we are still hearing from I believe, Voyager 1 & 2 have already passed it. I don't think it has passed through the heliopause yet. If it continues on it's path it will reach Alpha Scuti in 6-7 million years. Voyager 1 will not pass near any known star, maybe ever. Voyager 2 will pass within a light year of Ross 248 in 300k years or so.

Suddenly i feel like playing Stellaris.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...