RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

I am so hyped!!! so much warhammer goodness.... WH:Total War, Battlefleet Gothic Armada and now Dawn of War 3... I am full of warhammer hype.... the only good thing missing is some good RPG in any of these universes.... Obsidian, why you not do this?!

I disliked DoW 2. Having liked DoW 1 a lot, being presented with a game that only had the name and universe in common with the previous one was not something I appreciated. So I'll hold back on 3. After it goes on sale and I have read enough proper reviews.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I only enjoyed DOW2 enough to get through the campaign. DOW1 was an addiction.

I'm glad they're bringing back base building, but they're going to need to reveal more than just a large unit to keep my excitement levels.

• Like 3
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The issue with DW1 was that it brought nothing new to the genre and apart from the setting and story it was pretty bland gameplay wise (it was just a standard rts), where as DW2 was very unique and memorable.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If we get a RTS not a MOBA-wannabe that would be great.

How on Earth was DoW2 a MOBA-wannabe?

Commanding single heroes with abilities. I guess, is a stretch though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If we get a RTS not a MOBA-wannabe that would be great.

How on Earth was DoW2 a MOBA-wannabe?

Cut down macro mechanics, huge hero focus, no 1v1 mode. 

I could go on but the trend was clear from the get go.

I really hope for something much different for DoW3.

Edited by pmp10

I could go on but the trend was clear from the get go.

Cut down macro mechanics, huge hero focus, no 1v1 mode. 

I really hope for something much different for DoW3.

Nah, I think you're really stretching it.

As long as they don't completely go back to DW1 I'm happy.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

(What kind of genre is MOBA anyway? Unreal Tournament is also an multiplayer online battle arena. It's the stupidest name ever.)

Even in pong you're playing a role in a game!

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

As long as they don't completely go back to DW1 I'm happy.

Pretty much, yeah. I wouldn't say the original DoW was completely unremarkable, after all there's a reason as to why I have hundreds of hours played on that game, but it really did not bring anything particularly new to the genre - it's just an extremely well executed RTS with some amazing attention to detail. There's nothing else quite like DoW II tho, with its weird mix of tactical strategy and ... Well, Diablo.

• Like 1

"THREE DEVASTATING FORCES"

And here I was thinking they were saving Chaos Marines for a later reveal.

I was also hoping that the Necron Lord release for Last Stand meant they were starting with Necrons this time around.

The epigraph for the trailer was a quote pertaining to the Necrons and there seems to be a fixation on the theme of "Death comes for all", so perhaps they will feature as a non-playable hostile faction in the game much like they did in the Winter Asssault expansion so as to tease their playable status in an expansion. That said, should be interesting to see how Relic handles the Necrons story-wise; there hasn't been a faction that has had its fluff so drastically and fundamentally changed as the Necrons have.

I should also note that the imagery of the trailer as well as this promotional image just screams "Khorne" to me.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I can play as Orks (sadly for only portions of the campaign), so I'm happy.  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I can play as Orks (sadly for only portions of the campaign), so I'm happy.  WAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Yeah, I don't really care for the race swapping campaign. I'd rather have separate campaigns for each race

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I wouldn't mind a remake of the Winter Assault add on. Imperials ftw. Kinda annoying to see dumb space muhrins all the time. And then ofc Blood Angels...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

From a gameplay perspective, I hate the Imperial Guard.  They're too squishy, their only non-squishy unit was restricted to one at a time in DOW1, and the units are all very one dimensional.  I'm also not a fan of Orks gamplay-wise.

I'd like to see the Tau return.  I liked the Tau.  Sisters of Battle were pretty good, Chaos Space Marines were okay, Eldar and Dark Eldar were pretty decent.  Necrons units weren't terrible, but I found their mechanics a bit strange (admittedly, I didn't play them a lot.) 

As long as we don't get campaigns that are like Dark Crusade or Soul Storm (an endless string of essentially random skirmishes doesn't do much for me) I'll be pretty happy.

Shadow of the Beast is now officially a 'day one buy'  for me: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-04-shadow-of-the-beast-remake-will-include-amiga-original

I remember playing both Shadow of the Beast 1 & 2 on the Amiga 500. Respect your elders ya'll!  :geek:

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I liked Shadow of the Beast the original. The trailer for the remake seemed...gory?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man