RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

True... It's ironic swedes are behind the Battlefield series as they've been very absent from all wars in the last 200 years.

Everyone likes Bofors guns though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Really tempted to get this now, rather than waiting for sale. Hm.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

First game I've preordered ever, but then I really like Pdx games so...

It's fantastic to see them attempt sci fi grand strategy, as it is a genre that have been lacking a good open emergent game, most other developers seem to saddle their games with this mediocre story revolving around their 6 only races, instead of customizable and random aliens.

Fortune favors the bald.

I've never actually played a Paradox grand strategy game, but I just ordered Stellaris based on the reviews, the premise, and the assurances that it's well written. Also to get that spider race. Don't you judge me.

Now, that's not to say that I don't own any PDX GSGs. Crusader Kings 2 is sitting in my Steam library from some sale.

How fair are their games, anyway? My 4x background is limited to Civilization and Galactic Civilation. And there the non-player civs always seem like they have advantages, allying with each other, hating everything you do, never having internal struggles unless I'm intentionally culture blasting them.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I've never actually played a Paradox grand strategy game, but I just ordered Stellaris based on the reviews, the premise, and the assurances that it's well written. Also to get that spider race. Don't you judge me.

Now, that's not to say that I don't own any PDX GSGs. Crusader Kings 2 is sitting in my Steam library from some sale.

Not sure where you are from but if you are from OUTSIDE of Europe you will probably enjoy CK2 more, i have always problem that I tend to drift toward my home country :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Only one I have played heavily was EU4 as Russia. I will hold off and wait for one of y'all to give an opinion. :p

I've always struggled to get into Crusader Kings due to the overwhelming options, and I haven't played a EU since the first one.  That video makes it sound like Stellaris might have an advantage as far as learning curves and easing into it are concerned, so I'm thinking about getting it as well.  

Crusader Kings 2 is easily my favorite "chill after work" game, these last couple of years. It takes some time getting into, but once you get to a certain point it's a rewarding experience.

The thing with CK is that each game is so different. I've had 10 boring saves in a row at times that I've ended quickly, and then the next time you can be lucky and get a really interesting one. I had a save where I started as a measly count of west-Francia, and somehow ended up as the Emperor of Italia, with Africa, Jerusalem, and most of the mediterranean under my command. The less successful ones can be fun as well, like the time I started up as a count of Sicily, was stripped of all titles by the Byzantine Emperor, and somehow ended up in Caucasus fighting the various riffraff there for control over parts of the Silk Road.

Anyways, selling Dota 2 items as we speak to buy Stellaris.

Edited by Thingolfin
  • Like 3

How fair are their games, anyway? My 4x background is limited to Civilization and Galactic Civilation. And there the non-player civs always seem like they have advantages, allying with each other, hating everything you do, never having internal struggles unless I'm intentionally culture blasting them.

As someone, who's last 4xgame was MoO2, I can highly recommend you to play any PDox games. They are crazy fun, especialy, when you master the steep learning curve. I am far far far away, from mastering it, but I really love their games. Well with the exception of Victoria 1, which looks to steep for me to learn atm :-P

But started to play EU3 game yesterday, just for fun, no LP this time. I have picked France, and it is so far harder than EU1 and EU2. You have no chance to find some "special" rules/events/stuff without going from time to time onto Pdox wikis.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

For most games, the wise decision is to wait for all DLCs and such to be released and matured before picking it up. This is *not* true for Paradox games, and I think the enthusiasm for Stellaris encapsulates that feeling nicely. I haven't yet picked it up myself, but the prospect of playing a Paradox title without the accumulated cruft of a dozen major DLC and accompanying patches (and scores of minor ones) is attractive.

CK2 at this stage is a game that's creaking under the weight of its own changes, made haphazardly over the past four years like a patchwork quilt. Maybe that's being too kind - recently it's been looking more like a dog's breakfast. C'mon Paradox, time to end its suffering and start clean with CK3.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Wistful of your school days doodling B-1B Lancers in your composition books? Ever wanted to be in the shoes of RED CROWN in the Tonkin Gulf as USAF and USN aviators went "Downtown" over Hanoi? Does your inquisitive mind demand answers to such pressing questions like "How many La Combattante IIa fast attack craft can an Iowa take on?"

Then head on down to Steam and grab Command 60% off for only $32 USD.

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Not sure where you are from but if you are from OUTSIDE of Europe you will probably enjoy CK2 more, i have always problem that I tend to drift toward my home country :)

Check out the mod After the End...

Ironically in CK2, less fair now than a few patches ago- they've introduced something called a 'threat mechanic' to curtail massive player expansion, so now the AI will try to forge alliances to counter you if you're too much of a threat. Sounds good on paper, but it gets a little stupid when the Papacy allies themselves with muslim kings to counter a christian duke.

As for Stellaris and EU, less so - but there are some articial mechanics similar to this, not near as stupid as that though or what you know from CIV and the Total War games.

For anyone wanting to play Crusader Kings 2, but don't know where to start- I can strongly recommend rolling back to the 2.45 patch (via beta in steam) and just play as a duke under an emperor, you learn all you need to in a safe enough enviroment, while not being threatned by the big boys.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Check out the mod After the End...

Ironically in CK2, less fair now than a few patches ago- they've introduced something called a 'threat mechanic' to curtail massive player expansion, so now the AI will try to forge alliances to counter you if you're too much of a threat. Sounds good on paper, but it gets a little stupid when the Papacy allies themselves with muslim kings to counter a christian duke.

As for Stellaris and EU, less so - but there are some articial mechanics similar to this, not near as stupid as that though or what you know from CIV and the Total War games.

For anyone wanting to play Crusader Kings 2, but don't know where to start- I can strongly recommend rolling back to the 2.45 patch (via beta in steam) and just play as a duke under an emperor, you learn all you need to in a safe enough enviroment, while not being threatned by the big boys.

I know about this mod, also interesting one could be Game of Thrones one, but I dont have all DLCs and I am not sure they would work with my version and I am too lazy to fiddle with it :shrugz:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

http://www.masseffect.com/news/an-update-on-mass-effect-andromeda.html

Andromeda stuff

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

• More Freedom: One of our biggest ambitions is to give players an unprecedented level of freedom for a Mass Effect experience –where you’ll go, how you’ll get there, and how you’ll play.

• New Uncharted Worlds: We’re leaving the Milky Way behind and headed to Andromeda, where we’ll meet new allies, confront new enemies, and explore fascinating new worlds.

• The Next Great Mass Effect Experience: Mass Effect: Andromeda will be the first Mass Effect game for today’s consoles and the first built on the Frostbite engine. We’re pushing the technology to deliver visuals, story, and gameplay that have never been done in franchise history.

I dearly hope this does not mean they're making Mass Effect: Inquisition - revenge of the checklist

• Like 3

• More Freedom: One of our biggest ambitions is to give players an unprecedented level of freedom for a Mass Effect experience –where you’ll go, how you’ll get there, and how you’ll play.

• New Uncharted Worlds: We’re leaving the Milky Way behind and headed to Andromeda, where we’ll meet new allies, confront new enemies, and explore fascinating new worlds.

• The Next Great Mass Effect Experience: Mass Effect: Andromeda will be the first Mass Effect game for today’s consoles and the first built on the Frostbite engine. We’re pushing the technology to deliver visuals, story, and gameplay that have never been done in franchise history.

I dearly hope this does not mean they're making Mass Effect: Inquisition - revenge of the checklist

Mass Effect: Shard Search.

More like Mass Effect: Kill 20 rats and bring me their pelts :-P

If we get lucky, they'll be at least some kind of mutated rats.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Wistful of your school days doodling B-1B Lancers in your composition books? Ever wanted to be in the shoes of RED CROWN in the Tonkin Gulf as USAF and USN aviators went "Downtown" over Hanoi? Does your inquisitive mind demand answers to such pressing questions like "How many La Combattante IIa fast attack craft can an Iowa take on?"

Then head on down to Steam and grab Command 60% off for only $32 USD.

Go for the package deal and get CMANO and Northern Inferno together for 36$.      :biggrin:   

• Like 2

Disney "quitting video game publishing", Disney Infinity also being discontinued. Don't have a proper article yet - only have this fiscal report that says:

"Items affecting comparability during the quarter ended April 2, 2016 included a $147 million charge in connection with the discontinuation of our self-published console games business, principally Infinity (Infinity Charge)"

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Sounds like Zenimax has not sent out review copies of Doom 4 to anyone.  Their BS excuse is that without the servers being up it's impossible to experience and critique the whole game, but, let's face it, the vast majority of people care about single player which could be experienced without servers.  Seems like Zenimax doesn't have confidence in the game, which doesn't bode well.  On the other hand, review copy shenanigans don't always translate to a bad game.  WB pulled review copy shenanigans with Shadow of Mordor and that game was awesome.

:shrugz:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Disney "quitting video game publishing", Disney Infinity also being discontinued. Don't have a proper article yet - only have this fiscal report that says:

"Items affecting comparability during the quarter ended April 2, 2016 included a $147 million charge in connection with the discontinuation of our self-published console games business, principally Infinity (Infinity Charge)"

That's a real shame.  I liked Disney Infinity a whole lot and was looking forward to the next year.  I wish I'd been able to spend more time making things in the game like I had in the beginning, but I was enjoying playing the existing sets and with trying some of the fan content.

That's good news, Disney Infinity was rubbish compared to Skylanders and Lego Dimensions.

Yeah, great news that Avalanche is being shut down because Disney is ending DI production and thus people are losing their jobs.  And that fans of the series won't receive anything new in a game they liked - particularly after the line up had been semi announced through the end of the year and the expectations that created.  And its wonderful that possibly all the fan created content will disappear from the online servers because Disney won't want to maintain that for a product they're not making money on.

But the only truly important thing is that a game you don't like - and therefore weren't spending time/money/thought on - won't exist any longer so you don't have to...what? Be hassled by seeing it as you walk past it to stuff that interests you?  Be troubled by ads for it?  Be worried that someone might talk to you about it?

I'll never understand people's glee when something they have no interest in ends or fails.  I really never will.  I saw it when SEGA got out of the console business and people were cheering because they only bought Nintendo with some people expressing anger that Sega didn't go under completely.  Mystifying.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man