RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

So apparently GameTrailers is being shut down.  Recall the site being linked a few times here by members.

https://twitter.com/GameTrailers/status/696858020215586816

I promise to try really really hard at caring. GT failed to impress when they tried being anything other than a collection of trailers.

I really didn't know they were anything other than a collection of game trailers until reading about them.  I mostly mentioned it because I recall about 2-3 years ago several users linked game trailers from them.

It's not like I'm complaining, just saying that they're not a big loss. Between Jeoff Keigleigwhatever (and their award show in general), their bad reviews - they didn't rate Lonesome Road low because of it's flaws, they threw a hissy fit because it wasn't Old World Blues 2.0 - and not subtly at all implying that the viewers are morons when Halo 4 wasn't high on their viewer voted Most Anticipated Game list, contrary to the staff's #1 spot, the only good thing they did was the Level series, where they talked about memorable video game levels and what made them good. But that one had an episode every blue Moon.

Especially fine, classy establishments for those with discerning standards, like the Spearmint Rhino.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Waste of money. Should have bought top of the line GPUs.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/697785062889115648

Quantum Break comes to Windows 10 same day as it comes out to Xbox One. 

MS actually puts money on PC game development? Has world gone mad? :)

Seeing as it's directx 12 only I think it's obvious why it's being pushed on PC.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Seeing as it's directx 12 only I think it's obvious why it's being pushed on PC.

It was originally using Xbox One's DX11. Change to DX12 and releasing it to PC has happened in past 6 months. 

Is Consortium bad game or did it developer screw up something or is there some other reason why it sequel don't interest people? Anybody know or have educated guesses?

No, but it is free so I'm going to give it a shot after I'm finished with Shadowrun Returns.

Is Consortium bad game or did it developer screw up something or is there some other reason why it sequel don't interest people? Anybody know or have educated guesses? 

I really liked Consortium. It was short and initially pretty buggy but the C&C was top notch

Free games updated 3/4/21

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/quantum-break-will-be-exclusive-to-windows-store.html

Quantum Break also Windows store exclusive, go figure...

Microsoft did the same thing with Windows 8 initially.  There were a few games that had exclusivity deals with Windows 8 at first.  Nothing much became of it and some of the few Win 8 exclusive games eventually wound up getting out of that deal and releasing elsewhere.  Microsoft does this every few years where they make a big announcement about how they're getting behind PC gaming again then push one or two games to their latest iteration of Windows as a show of "see we're serious this time" then a couple months down the line they return to the status quo of completely ignoring gaming on PC and concentrating on XBOX.  We'll see how this go round pans out.  I imagine it will be much the same as every previous go round.

The fear of Microsoft trying to ape Apple and lock people into their own version of a walled garden is one of the reasons GabeN and Co. are pushing SteamOS (not particularly quickly or successfully so far, but then, Valve always does things at a snail's pace).  As a former Microsoft employee, I guess GabeN is privy to the inner workings of that company, granted that was a long time ago and leadership has changed multiple times since then.  Honestly, not too much has seemingly come of Microsoft's supposed push toward a walled garden so far.  Only time will tell, I guess.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/quantum-break-will-be-exclusive-to-windows-store.html

Quantum Break also Windows store exclusive, go figure...

Microsoft did the same thing with Windows 8 initially.  There were a few games that had exclusivity deals with Windows 8 at first.  Nothing much became of it and some of the few Win 8 exclusive games eventually wound up getting out of that deal and releasing elsewhere.  Microsoft does this every few years where they make a big announcement about how they're getting behind PC gaming again then push one or two games to their latest iteration of Windows as a show of "see we're serious this time" then a couple months down the line they return to the status quo of completely ignoring gaming on PC and concentrating on XBOX.  We'll see how this go round pans out.  I imagine it will be much the same as every previous go round.

The fear of Microsoft trying to ape Apple and lock people into their own version of a walled garden is one of the reasons GabeN and Co. are pushing SteamOS (not particularly quickly or successfully so far, but then, Valve always does things at a snail's pace).  As a former Microsoft employee, I guess GabeN is privy to the inner workings of that company, granted that was a long time ago and leadership has changed multiple times since then.  Honestly, not too much has seemingly come of Microsoft's supposed push toward a walled garden so far.  Only time will tell, I guess.

Microsoft also tries to push their Xbox/Universal Apps environment, where PC, Console, Tablet and Phone applications share common code bases and functionalities and user can move freely using same application/game from one device to another (they started this idea with Win 8, but that was hampered by their not so good decision with XAML and how they didn't then support it on all their platforms, etc.) . Quantum Break seem to be one of their show case games that will demo their cross platform technologies, like save game/progression sharing between console and pc version and achievement sharing, cross platform buy feature (when you buy it for console you get it also PC and vice versa and they also show how this is possibly to limit only to preorders) . Quantum Break also will show case DX12.

More you look it more you see that MS has decided that Quantum Break will be their demo product for their new technologies so that they can sell them to other companies. So I would guess that tying it to their own store on pc is more byproduct of their other ambitions than their actual desire to compete with Steam, because I don't see Quantum Break as game that one would use if they seriously want to challenge Steam's hegemony, but maybe Remedy is just their only developer with enough PC experience to make the first product and then future they will bring their big guns like Halo series (if so this year E3 should be interesting in terms of MS strategy change).