What you did today

Blarghagh

Brought my bicycle to the repair shop for a complete overhaul. It gets a brand new high quality chain because after 5000 kilometers -half the distance uphill- the old one is a bit out of spec (it held up well though!), the gear assembly will be checked, it gets new rear brake shoes (the old ones are fried), an entire new front brake assembly, new slicks with new tubes, new bearings, also all the critical parts will be checked for damage.  So its basically going to be 40% new. 

I'll do the adjustments, lubing and the fine tuning.

Can't wait to jump on my old overhauled warhorse to climb some awfully steep seemingly never ending mountain roads. Its strange to miss that kind of pain so much, my legs get uneasy and my blood pressure climbs just from thinking about hard uphill cycling.   :dancing:

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Luckily I only had to pay like 63€ for the fixes of my bike. I'd thought after my crash there would be more broken. Just got new breaks and a new front wheel / inner tube and that pretty much was it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My uncle recently told my mother that Inonotus obliquus is supposedly some kind of cureall with loads of antioxidants and great for things like psoriasis, so I've spent hours and gotten a headache trying to tell her and show her the evidence that it is likely a load of bull.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I watched "Going Clear" on HBO this morning. The truth is no matter how absurd something is, someone will buy it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Didn't Molyneux teach us that years ago?

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'll tell you one thing. L Ron Hubbard was a genius. And not in the way these folks think. Here is a guy with what looks like bipolar disorder and paranoia who's writing crappy science fiction stories for a penny a word in a crappy magazine, so broke he can't even buy a car. He get's involved with a group of Satanists, dates one of the girls in their group and sees how into they are so he decides to invent a religion. Well, all he does is write science fiction so he writes a pseudo-science fiction psychology book that ridicules psychology and sells it to people a s religion.

The he gets people to give him thousands of dollars to teach them the crap he made up. He takes that money writes another book with an even wackier backstory and brings in more people who give him more money. I wonder is he ever started believing his own stuff himself? I think he probably did.

We should invent a religion. It's easier than working for a living.

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'll tell you one thing. L Ron Hubbard was a genius. And not in the way these folks think. Here is a guy with what looks like bipolar disorder and paranoia who's writing crappy science fiction stories for a penny a word in a crappy magazine, so broke he can't even buy a car. He get's involved with a group of Satanists, dates one of the girls in their group and sees how into they are so he decides to invent a religion. Well, all he does is write science fiction so he writes a pseudo-science fiction psychology book that ridicules psychology and sells it to people a s religion.

The he gets people to give him thousands of dollars to teach them the crap he made up. He takes that money writes another book with an even wackier backstory and brings in more people who give him more money. I wonder is he ever started believing his own stuff himself? I think he probably did.

We should invent a religion. It's easier than working for a living.

It's not uncommon for people like psychic mediums and other phonies and quacks to start believing their own hype, so it is likely that he did.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I started to go through my shelves of pen-and-paper games and cull the ones I would likely never actually play...

Sigh...

It's hard but something that had to be done. :(

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Must have slept "funny" because I feel horrible this morning. It's "errand" (and friend lunch-date) day and I'm trying to peer through the malaise to get ready to run out and about.

I'll tell you one thing. L Ron Hubbard was a genius. And not in the way these folks think.

That's pretty much how I view him. ;)
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Easter Monday, rather surprised at the reduction in traffic - can't be that many government workers in my area, but there we go. Quiet day and hopefully a nice quiet commute.

For my next time wasting project I'll try to get a bite of Unity and Cities modding, will have to think up something or perhaps just steal another's idea to learn it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Painted easter eggs with my motorized LEGO egg spinner contraption. I used to hate painting easter eggs, but its so easy now that I like it.  w00t.gif

20150404_21523912_zpswazlg39q.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Me: *points to cart* "I have 3 of those."
Cashier: "3? Not 4? You don't get the deal with only 3."
Me: "That's fine."
Cashier: "You sure? 3, get the 4th free."
Me: "Yes, I'm fine."
Cashier: "It's $5.99 each if you only get 3."
Me: "I understand. It's fine."

(this goes on for like 5 minutes, I swear, the cashier just did NOT want to let it go, until finally)

Me: "I ONLY WANT THREE, IF I WANTED FOUR I'D HAVE FOUR. THANKS."
Cashier: *silence* "Ok then...if you're sure."

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

...For pete's sake, some people.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Spent way too many hours arguing about who would win in a fight between Darth Vader and Gandalf

Vader is just a goon, Gandalf would find a way to win the fight before it even happened.  Now the Emperor might be a better face off.

• Like 2

What a long weekend, wowzers I was busy. Drinking, partying, shopping, social events, clubbing, barbeques....you name it I did it

Now I'm  off to Cape Town for 9 days for work. I am flying at lunch time. I love Cape Town. There are excellent wine farms in Cape Town, beaches, restaurants and of course great outdoor activities 

I will be working but I will have most of the weekend off to do some site seeing :dancing:  :dancing:  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Given that Gandalf basically has force powers anyways (see the Fellowship of the Ring, fight between Saruman and Gandalf in the Orthanc) and that Gandalf is much more limber than Darth Vader in general AND has a wide variety of other powers, I'd have to give it to Gandalf pretty easily, too.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'd say Gandalf. Here's why. You know what Vader's got. There is no secrets there. Gandalf doesn't look lime much but he always seems to come up with whatever he needs right when he needs it. Gandalf wouldn't let it come to a fight with Vader unless he knew his hole cards were winners.

Thomas Sowell

Gandalf the Grey or Gandalf the White? Grey was kinda weak imo.

Yeah, Gandalf the Grey kept needing people to save him.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Great job Shady. Now look what you've started!

• Like 4

Thomas Sowell