What are you playing now?

Just a lot of WoW lately, got the urge to get one more character to max level before the end of the month for some reason, rather enjoy that process even if it does involve silently playing along with 4 other folk from time to time.

Might nab Gray Matter and give that a run through once I feel more burnt out.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Xcom Enemy Within.

Four false starts on Enemy Unknown and I'm finally getting the hang of this although my panic levels are high.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

After a day of not playing anything I went back to Wasteland 2. But there seems to be some bug issue with leaving Damonta. Now every time I try to exit the map, I get a loading screen with a full yellow bar.. and the music and sound effects of already having loaded.. and a cursor you can move around the screen that will change as if it's on a normal map.

Upon looking across the internet, the best advice is to apparently kill Red, and be unable to finish his quest off... Pondering whether I should try that or look for other things first...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Slowly making my way through Chapter 1 in Neverwinter Nights.  I've defeated the Intellect Devoured and the Yuan-ti so far, so I guess I'm about halfway though the chapter.  I'm doing the docks now, just started in that district.  My druid is up to lev 7, so I can unleash a decent bit of damage now with my magic.  I scooped up Zen Archery making me more accurate with my sling, though it's only a small difference at this point, it will get more pronounced as I continue to pump up my wisdom score at higher levels.  I still haven't bothered with a henchman, probably never will.  Between my bear companion and summoning a creature, I basically have 2 free henchmen at all times.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

After a day of not playing anything I went back to Wasteland 2. But there seems to be some bug issue with leaving Damonta.

good to know, that's where I'm headed, better turn around I guess :D

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Picked up Max Payne 1 and 2 on sale on Steam after remembering the unadulterated joy the mods for those games gave me, in particular the Cinema mod for 2:

http://youtu.be/HwYVWTnp18w

I suppose enjoyed Max Payne 3 well enough, even if Dan Houser's less than subtle writing had kind of corrupted the noir, hard-boiled atmosphere of the first two (I could go at length at the problems I had with its narrative, but I won't here).

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Watch_Dogs

Gameplay-wise it's okay but MY GOD does the city feel lifeless!

Wish I had bought Battlefield 4 :(

Edited by Cat Food

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I got an invite to the ArcheAge 3rd Closed Beta, will be playing from Aug 14-18 (Thursday-Monday) whenever I can and posting pics and commentaries here. The game is installed, I'm waiting for the server opening.

It's got a strong sandbox foundation, with a player-driven economy including building ships and non-instanced (!) houses and castles, bringing a strong Ultima/EVE Online vibe. It has flying (gliders), which is awesome on its own, and the build-your-own class system from Titan Quest/Grim Dawn.  I'm really curious about it, this is the first time I'm excited about an MMO beta since GW2. Finally something to challenge the theme park crowd.

More info: Classes and CraftingHousing and Farms, Traversing the World (staggering amount of travel options, it deserves an article of its own!)

black_pearl.jpg

Edited by Endrosz

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Guest Slinky

Still roaming around in Skyrim. Next stop is Markarth, from there towards north all the way to Solitude and then I have gone through the whole map. And by "gone through" I mean I have just visited most of the places so they appear in my map, I've cleared only a small fraction of them. Theres so many of them I would probably die out of old age before going through them all.

After Solitude I'll probably finish the main story and then see do I still have the will to start the dlc's. Which is not given, the more I play Skyrim the more I want to switch to New Vegas.

More XCOM Long War while D:OS is on ice. Classic kicked my butt in the strategic layer (an aspect of XCOM I'm largely disinterested in), I had one game where I got in a death spiral by the start of the third month, and a followup game where I crashed and burned at the start of the fourth - they took about a week each to play out that far, so definitely painful losses, such is Ironman.

So I figured I'd try Normal, which is the easiest difficulty level available in LW, and supposedly tuned to roughly the same as Classic in the unmodded game. It's definitely easier in that I find I have a fair bit more cash, but hard to tell what the other changes are. Unlike unmodded Normal, the game never outright cheats in your favour (unmodded, the game does stuff like give you silent hit bonuses, and limits the number of enemies that can actively fire at you), so it's probably subtle things like alien research and resource gathering rate scaled down. Yes, in LW alien progression is not dictated by time passed, but by a simulation of them developing new stuff and harvesting resources using UFO missions, just like XCOM needs to. They even research your soldiers' corpses, i.e. if you lose a mission, all the dead or left behind soldiers give research boosts to the aliens.

Enemy count is kind of funky though, just came off a 'moderate' mission with 11 aliens, so when I got a 'swarming' mission, I prepared for the worst, took my best troops, and played ultra defensively, essentially camped at the start and exploring a few tiles at a time with the Scout. There were only 14 aliens, and none of the Mutons despite it being mid-May. Huh. But just prior to that I did a medium landed UFO which had 19, and a shot down small UFO with 7. But then apparently how many enemies you get in a mission, and what type they are, are dictated by the alien resource level. It's a sort of point-buy system where they spend X credits worth of aliens and send them at you, so I guess they spent a fair chunk on the UFO and had to cheap out on the abduction mission.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'm playing classic and I find I'm forced to reload a lot. Before I got power armor it was practically every round. Normal ironman is probably the better choice. 

I'm down to four remaing council countries largely because there have been no spare resources to develop better interceptors so I get terror attacks which always cost panic. If I cant build the firestorm in time I will lose. Countires come back with an almost full panic bar so I can't do very many base missions. This is due to a bug where after 20 messages of a country leaving the council the game will crash on message nr 21. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I was doing mostly okay in classic in the ground war, losing only four soldiers by the end of the third month is reasonable going I thought. But yeah, got hopelessly outclassed in the air war, and lost all 3 of my satellites. Then two of those countries subsequently were lost to panic before I could build new satellites, I instead opted to put the sole spare I had over a different continent. But too little too late, barely any income at the start of that fourth month, and Exalt (which are officially overpowered: they're being toned down in the next beta) finished me off.

Main misplay was probably trying to rush Beam Lasers but finding I didn't have the alloys to actually research it (terrible luck with shooting down UFOs in the first month), thereby having to do Xenobiology instead anyway. That's a net loss because rushing aside, you want Xenobiology as the absolute first research, since it enables trading sectoid corpses for scientists.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I pretty much always forgo lasers for mechs instead and maybe a shiv or two. It's a dead end after all once you start on gauss. I think there should be some kind of reward for doing laser, like a bonus scope. It did help a bit that long war made lasers more accurate like in the original game so they still have their uses for soldiers with very low aim.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I just beat Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together doing the Law route.

That was good fun.

No to finish Kingdoms of Amalur and Puppeteer.

I'm thinking of actually setting up the PS4. Haven't even opened the box other than to check that everything came with it.

Went back to Wastelands 2, had to reload from before I arrived in Damonta and redo it all. Went through it in slightly different order, and then it fixed things so I was able to leave and exit to the wasteland again. So, no clue what was causing that bug.

You don't seem to have any really good choices with the Diamondback Militia and the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud. All choices lead to screwed situations it seems.

The DBM's are hardcore versions of the Rangers, but in a crappy, oppressive, and rigid way. Plus, for a group that's basically copying the Rangers, they talk crap about them.

The Priests are.. bug nutz crazy, but they do care about keeping the valley "safe'ish" to travel, and have a hospital accessible by all. But they do like to do suicide mini-nuke grenades to "protect" themselves and those that have paid tribute.

So if you side with the DBM's and let them have the nuke, they basically kick you out of their territory, and because rigid law and order to their spec's with no real thought of justice or mercy.

If you side with the Priests, someone will end up setting the nuke off and wiping out the canyon.

If you dismantle the nuke, the whole situation goes to pot, turning it into a three way stand off of Raiders, DBM's and  Surviving priests and it becomes a no-man's land in general.

You don't seem to have any really good choices with the Diamondback Militia and the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud. All choices lead to screwed situations it seems.

I first I thought this was W2's gimmick: make players face hard choices at every location. I liked the way they handled Ag Center and Highpool, where you still feel you did some good (although I wonder if it's possible to save both settlements)

but then Rail Nomads showed me it wasn't the case. maybe it's just an inconsistency stemming from the various writers each doing their own thing 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Went back to Wastelands 2, had to reload from before I arrived in Damonta and redo it all. Went through it in slightly different order, and then it fixed things so I was able to leave and exit to the wasteland again. So, no clue what was causing that bug.

The DBM's are hardcore versions of the Rangers, but in a crappy, oppressive, and rigid way. Plus, for a group that's basically copying the Rangers, they talk crap about them.

The Priests are.. bug nutz crazy, but they do care about keeping the valley "safe'ish" to travel, and have a hospital accessible by all. But they do like to do suicide mini-nuke grenades to "protect" themselves and those that have paid tribute.

So if you side with the DBM's and let them have the nuke, they basically kick you out of their territory, and because rigid law and order to their spec's with no real thought of justice or mercy.

If you side with the Priests, someone will end up setting the nuke off and wiping out the canyon.

If you dismantle the nuke, the whole situation goes to pot, turning it into a three way stand off of Raiders, DBM's and  Surviving priests and it becomes a no-man's land in general.

I dismantled the bomb, because even though you will bring chaos now, the situation still can be stabilized again. Siding with the DBM probably will generate a new strong enemy for the Rangers (they want to take control over all of Arizona after all), and siding with the Monks means destruction of everything anyway. So yeah... no bomb for anyone = probably the best for everyone in the future.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

but then Rail Nomads showed me it wasn't the case. maybe it's just an inconsistency stemming from the various writers each doing their own thing 

The Rail Nomads..  the only time you can actually interject your own word into a conversation to have an effect on the storyline.  Or least it seems the only one I've seen so far. By putting in one word in a conversation rather then selecting the choices they give you,  you get to make peace between the tribes.

And it takes a bit of odd thinking to get there. Or just pounding your head trying to figure it out.

that's odd, I got the right option in the dialogue on my first attempt, just needed a proper skill to pick it

Walsingham said:

I pretty much always forgo lasers for mechs instead and maybe a shiv or two. It's a dead end after all once you start on gauss. I think there should be some kind of reward for doing laser, like a bonus scope. It did help a bit that long war made lasers more accurate like in the original game so they still have their uses for soldiers with very low aim.

I've never gotten as far as mechs, or genemods, or even gauss in Long War. But Gauss weapons in themselves don't seem particularly attractive: on a one to one basis, sure, it's 1 damage vs 7-10 aim, but when the Gauss weapon costs 3 times more? Not so much. Exception for the Recoilless Rifle for obvious reasons, and the Alloy Cannon (but even then it's mostly because the Scatter Laser sucks). Fortunately this has been recognised, and the next beta will reduce their cost, while also having them ignore 0.33 damage reduction. But above all I think the power of the Laser Cannon for the air war is what makes Beam Lasers most attractive.

EDIT: Just reading the tech tree now admittedly, I hadn't really looked at it and was mostly going by instinct.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G