What are you playing now?

Quick summary for PoE:

+writing is top notch

+music is impressive

+art is excellent

+scripted interactions. Major points!

-Combat is too frenetic.

-monk and ciphers classes = Micromanagement.

I agree with all of that. So far the combat has been the least enjoyable part of the beta for me.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Quick summary for PoE:

+writing is top notch

+music is impressive

+art is excellent

-Combat is too frenetic.

I agree with all of that. So far the combat has been the least enjoyable part of the beta for me.

I am trying to avoid too much information about PoE but when you say combat is frenetic can you not pause the combat to plan your strategy, or is this not how it works?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hopefully it's just a matter that of the default speed setting being a bit too optimistic as opposed to a fundamental design thing of inserting too many active abilities to manage (like in RTSes).

Don't have any real feedback myself, all I'm doing is creating a character, seeing how they level, then immediately trying another character, literally without even moving the previous one.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I am trying to avoid too much information about PoE but when you say combat is frenetic can you not pause the combat to plan your strategy, or is this not how it works?

Not only you can pause the combat, you can slow down the game from normal. That actually helps a little in following combat.

The biggest problem (imo) in combat at the moment is that it doesn't give enough feedback. You are never sure who is attacking who, if your commands went through, etc. Not to mention the bugs in combat (e.g. auto-attack does not always work).

• Like 1

I'd say if the frequency of pausing becomes too overwhelming, even in short fights, that's frenetic. I mean I don't know if it's actually happening or not, but I can see a situation in an RTwP game where you're pausing multiple times in the time it takes to get one weapon swing or spell in (to give orders for the other party members for example) being problematic. Even if the action was going on at a glacial pace, that's way too much micromanagement.

Again, hypothetically.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I'd say if the frequency of pausing becomes too overwhelming, even in short fights, that's frenetic. I mean I don't know if it's actually happening or not, but I can see a situation in an RTwP game where you're pausing multiple times in the time it takes to get one weapon swing or spell in (to give orders for the other party members for example) being problematic. Even if the action was going on at a glacial pace, that's way too much micromanagement.

Again, hypothetically.

Wait, are people saying PoE plays like an MMO with pause? :(

Sorry I'm not going to the backer forum because spoilers.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

i'm currently catching up on some console games. 

I've been playing God of War Ascension. I think I'm almost done. Pretty typical GoW fare, which I enjoy. The only gripe is sometimes the action is so frantic and the camera pans so far out, that I can't keep track of what I or the enemies are doing, which has lead to some cheap deaths. Overall a good experience for what I paid. 

Next up is Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge. I had heard bad things about vanilla NG3, but read that Razor's Edge brings it closer to the NG 1 and 2 experience, so I'm eager to play it. 

After that, I'll probably sink my teeth into The Last of Us. I got it for my birthday last year, but never got around to it. 

I have to get into the Beta for PoE too. I've anticipated the game for so long, I'm almost afraid to actually play it, if that makes sense. 

Guess turn-based combat would have made the game better. :>

I don't think Obsidian can come up with a good TB system on such a short notice (and no, Original Sin isn't an example of a good TB system, before you bring it into the discussion), so it would've made PoE even worse.

I mean, games with no firearms for the most part and mages that take a long time to cast spells are too slow during combat to justify a TB system. it's too simple of a game, just look at IE games. they would've suffered from it rather. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Playing some Dishonored. I'm only in the first "proper" mission so far, but I'm not *really* feeling it so far. First impressions are that I kinda wish they had done away with the magic powers, they feel so... unneeded somehow. Fun to play around with I suppose but I would've much rather had it be a "pure" stealth game, just based on my immediate first impressions. The story seem kinda bland so far also and I'm not a fan of the graphics. I love steampunk aesthetics but this game just looks kinda boring.

Maybe I'll get sucked in more as I play more. Not bad by any means so far, but kinda meh.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The game most likely doesn't regenerate random seed at reload.

You could load a 1000 times and that shot would always be a miss.

that's what I thought at first, but I did hit the target on my sixth reload. so that's hardly the case. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Quick summary for PoE:

+writing is top notch

+music is impressive

+art is excellent

-Combat is too frenetic.

Repost from another thread:

"I'm about halfway through the the beta and I haven't had a party wipe yet. But the combat still needs significant tune up. Yes, it's a crutch that we are not familiar with the ruleset/skills/spell mechanics etc but the primary problem is lack of useful visual and tactile feedback in terms of what's going on."

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Got into the Warlords of Draenor beta, so am tooling around with that for a bit.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing two alpha/beta games at the moment...

PoE - which I really like, and I'm excited to see what changes/improvements will be made in the next few months. The forums remind me why I don't like to participate in betas.

Darkwood (Steam) - I haven't gotten very far into it but it's pretty atmospheric. Controls are kinda clunky, though... something I'm sure will be improved. 

I tried D:OS but couldn't finish it - it was okay for the first map but after that it went downhill. 

The more I play Eternity, and the more familiar I'm getting with the game system, the more I like it - combat included. With tuning, they can get the combat to the right state. Aside from a dearth of adequate feedback (tactile and visual), the other major concerns are pathfinding and auto attacks. Both should be receiving fixes in the next build or two. Slow mode doesn't help as much as I would like it to -in fact it's too slow for me.

Overall, I'm really liking the game. The bugs aren't a concern to me because I know they'll eventually get fixed, but the potential for this game to be special is there.

PS

Scripted interactions are cool.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Real time WITH PAUSE. Not playing the beta, but I can't see how a game with pause can be too frenetic.

The first time you play it, it will most certainly feel frenetic, even when you pause. But now, when combat decides to work, I'd rate it over the Infinity Engine combat.

Disclaimer: I was never a huge fan of BG or PST combat.

• Like 1

The problem with slow mode for me is that it slow everything way down, including recovery timers. Bugs (auto attack, auto pause, no action on command, pathfinding, clustering - I don't think that's a bug) aside the problem I have with combat being too "frentic" is the fast movement speed in such a small area which plays a little funny with the slowish timers and a lot of ability heavy characters. I do think (hope) it will turn out fine in the end with a little tweaking and ranged characters seem to be spared some of the difficulties except the move speed issue if your front line doesn't hold and mine rarely seems to

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Guest Slinky

Does PoE have any kind of command queue? Can you pause the game and then order a guy to do this, then that and then go there automatically after you unpause?

Does PoE have any kind of command queue? Can you pause the game and then order a guy to do this, then that and then go there automatically after you unpause?

No action queue. Atleast not that I'm aware of.

I reached level 20 in WoW with my Pandaren monk, and I got a cool looking turtle to run around with.  Boy, gold is sure easier to come by now than it was when I played a decade ago.

I'm really enjoying the streamlined quests, there is no sense of grind right now as I move through the early areas.