What are you playing now?

After having wrestled with a crashing Risen 3 almost all day (with several hungover pauses), I finally found out that Risen 3 does not play well with more than 10 CPU cores. When I disabled a few of my cores, the game suddenly started. Oh well.

The initial impressions are very good. It's a little bit annoying that they've made it so much easier in the beginning, but I can understand their reasons for doing it and I can tolerate it.

Other than that it's a classic Gothic/Risen game. You explore a beautiful land, pick up everything that's not nailed to the floor and beat the crap out of the local wildlife.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I've gone back and given Neverwinter a second chance. It's still a little too arcadey for my tastes but I'm going to see how far I can get before I lose interest this time. Currently my scourge warlock is level 17.

Also bought Rome 2:TW and gave that a quick few minutes and lost already. I think I'll move the difficulty back down to normal for a while.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've moved on to Port Llast in Neverwinter Nights. I had forgotten how insane a difficulty spike the Desther fight is.  That battle had to be at least 3 or 4 times as hard as any battle previous to it.  I suppose if I was playing a cleric it would have been relatively easy.  Oh well, I got through it and I'm on to the next part of the game.  At least I'm not cooped up in the city any more. 

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm going to wait for the Director's Cut of Shadowrun Dragonfall before revisiting the game. I wonder if people will bother with user made campaigns for that one. The ones for the current DF version will not work with the Director's Cut and vice versa.

That's why I don't want to play Dragonfall till the new release.

About the mods, they said they will provide information on how to port them over. Though, I'll be more worried about the Seattle assets- if the stand alone release of Dragonfall won't have them includet, I'll guess mods who use them won't work either.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I've moved on to Port Llast in Neverwinter Nights. I had forgotten how insane a difficulty spike the Desther fight is.  That battle had to be at least 3 or 4 times as hard as any battle previous to it.  I suppose if I was playing a cleric it would have been relatively easy.  Oh well, I got through it and I'm on to the next part of the game.  At least I'm not cooped up in the city any more. 

Now that you mention it, I remember this, too. Last time I played the game, I played at like 3x speed with Cheat Engine everywhere, even in real time battles, 'cos everything was so easy. I recall Desther kicking my butt a good 5-10 times at normal speed before I lucked out and was able to win. Then I got to Port Llast and stopped playing because gosh, what a boring game.  :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Played a lot of Firefall.

It's kind of a weird game. On one hand, it's a bit too light on content (just launched, but still). OTOH what is there is pretty fun. 5 classes with unlockable "prestige" variants that you can swap at almost any time. (Though the graphical design of some are pretty hideous.) The main story and other instanced mission are pretty darn good and doing related achievements adds a nice bit of extra challenge.

Also, you can be a healer and still facetank stuff and murder your way through a horde. Though the game does demand that you play well. :lol:

A free to play model that is so free to play, I have no idea how it could possibly work outt for them.

The main story is intriguing and the questlines/areas have good storylines too and most characters are memorable. The voice acting is pretty good as well. On the flip side, storylines are dropped so suddenly sometimes that I barely noticed. I still don't know what the hell the Midas is supposed to be. - _ - Or when during a ration distributing mission I was randomly got an objective to kill a group of enemies. Neither the dialogue that sent me there nor the follow-up chat had mentioned that fight. Others appear without mention (Ophanim). Or the psychics introduced in the prequel comic that are absent from the game for now (though you could explain that part at least.)

Well anyway, it's a fun game for now, though I'd recommend bringing friends.

I tried it for a bit and found the story intriguing (though not necessarily all that original) but I thought the gunplay felt.. off. Can't put my finger on what I think is wrong with it I'll have to test some more.

On another note I started and finished Resident Evil Revelations. It was a fun romp, and I liked the setting (abandoned ship, yay!). Some (well, most) of the bossfights were just simply annoying though and often disproportionally hard (especially the final boss, ugh).

It's obviously a console port and it shows, though the only thing that really annoyed me was how the camera was locked in the horizontal plane except when you are aiming, it made looking around more annoying than necessary and they could easily have done away with that limitation on the PC.

So, I just killed Ganon in Neverwinter Nights.  Whodathunkit, theGreat King of Evil defeated by a half-orc druid.  And I didn't even need the Master Sword.  :lol:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Come on, guys, Desther isn' hard. He's not even the 'hardest' encounter in ch1 despite beingt eh final battle.

It was BY FAR the hardest battle I had in Ch1, and, to the best of my knowledge, I did every single quest.  I absolutely steamrolled every battle before that, and never died once in battle (I did die a couple times from traps on chests, including getting hit for an ABSURD 97 damage once).  What makes that battle hard isn't so much Desther himself, though he is fairly powerful, it's the metric ****ton of undead in the room with him, including specters that instantly made my companion bear flee in terror.  I'm sure with certain builds that battle is much easier.

Who is Ganon in NWN?

He's one of Maugrim's underlings combing the countryside in Ch2.  He's in the caves in the room with the Ogre Mage.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Protection from evil would stop the fear.

How did you handkle the 4 swords in one of the tombs? A LOT of people had trouble with that one when it first came out.

Ah. Been a while since I play the OC. I remember now this Ganon guy.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

How did you handkle the 4 swords in one of the tombs? A LOT of people had trouble with that one when it first came out.

That is potentially a difficult fight, I've had trouble with it in the past, but it was a piece of cake this time.  The trouble with the floating swords is that they're rather hard to hit physically and they hit hard themselves, so if you're a melee character, like I often play, it can be really difficult to take them down.  For my druid it was a easy.  My meat shields (companion bear and summoned spider) kept them busy while I cast call lightning > call lightning > call lightning.  Battle over.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Having fun with Risen 3.  It feels a lot like Risen 2 so far, which for me isn't a bad thing since I enjoyed that game.  Probably because the islands I've visited so far were either from the previous game, or involves tribes like the previous game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Playing Sacred 2 and Sacred 3 still.

Sacred 3 really reaches for humor a lot.  They don't seem to take a lot seriously, particularly the "Weapon Spirits" which are all pretty OTT (but the voice-over commentary from the base also gets a bit out there - and a lot of the villains are comedy villains).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Guest Slinky

Finally got enchanting to 100 in Skyrim, so a little power gaming ensued:

Enchanters elixir potion (+50% enchanting for a minute) on and enchant four armor pieces with fortify smithing +31%. Those on and a blacksmiths elixir (+50% smithing) down the hatch. Result: Dragonbone War Axe with 143 damage and full Daedric Armor set with 1320 combined armor. Without the 80% damage reduction hard cap my DR would be 173.4% and that 143 damage isn't shoddy at all for one-handed weapon.

Then a little more enchanting with enchanters elixir on: four pieces with +50% one-handed damage, three pieces with +25% resist magic and one +58% resist fire and one +58% resist shock. I already have +50% resist frost from nords racial bonus. That takes my one-handed damage to absolutely ridiculous 428 and pretty much takes me to one notch from immortal. Say I come across a dragon with a bad scale day and it blasts me with fire for 100 points. I have 75% resist magic from gear and extra 15% from a quest. That's 90% but the hard cap is 85%. Thus only 15% gets through resist magic, only 15 points of that original 100. Then that 58% resist fire jumps into the ring, taking it further down to 8.7 points. And I think I have about 470 hitpoints. Edit: Forgot to say that's without blocking... while blocking there's another +50% resist fire, so down to 4.35 it goes. Unless it stacks with the resist fire I already have, then its only ~2.2.

I don't think I've ever been as overpowered in any game before and I haven't even enchanted my weapons yet  :blink:

Edited by Slinky

WoW- Geez, I haven't played this in like 4 years.  I'm a bit lost, but it's been a fun trip back to Azeroth.

It can be daunting to see all the hotkeys and learn the mechanics for each class, after a break. They are pruning abilities in WoD, hopefully not too much.

Finally got my rogue to 90, huzzah. Though I guess having six at max (ok, only levelled 4) is enough.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's been two-and-a-bit years for me since I quit, doesn't feel like even half of that. Biggest benefit has been the excuse to throw away my silly Logitech G-thing keyboard and get a normal one. If they do a 10-day 'trial' for WoD I guess I might poke my head in, but no real incentive as of yet. 7 years and 10 85s will do that.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Guest Slinky

I dunno, do you consider compound interest to be a glitch? :)

No if it ends up in my bank account.

I settle being a lesser god :p

I was away from WoW for close to 8 years.  I dipped in here and there, but I never stuck around long.  I'm not sure if this will be different, but so far I'm really enjoying my Pandaren monk, and the hero's call questlines make levelling and moving through the areas pretty quick.  I also ran through the Deadmines and it was a nice little trip through time, although I missed Van Cleef.

I might see if I can remember how to play my level 58 paladin, but that's really the highest character I have from back in the day.

I don't think 'remembering' would be of much value there. :p Eight years ago the paladin mechanics were "toggle on self buff and right click enemy once, make a sandwich". Last I remember them on the other hand, they were getting GCD-locked, i.e. have more abilities available to use than there is time to use them.

The paladin class really worked out weirdly for me, I don't like paladins thematically and never thought I'd end up playing mine much at all. But in the end I actually ended up doing the most challenging hard mode raid bosses with the paladin more than any other class (to the point of doing Spine of Deathwing HM on literally my last day of WoW).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

They keep changing them a lot. I like the TBC mechanic of different seals but different judgments as well. Right now as Holy, there's not much to it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra