Spill your blasphemous opinions on CRPGs here

At least JRPGs dare to utilize uncommon settings (Germanic mythology, WWII, WWI) with that unique Japanese twist whilst CRPGs are 90% generic fantasy. And the few CRPGs with unique setting have dreadful gameplay (Arcanum, Septerra Core).

I agree with that, for sure. CRPGs definitely could dare to try something else. I think that is partially why I invested as much as I did for Tides of Numenera. I love Book of the New Sun and that kind of setting, and I have thoroughly enjoyed my few pen and paper sessions with Numenera. Now I just hope Numenera has great gameplay.

I have tried time and again to get into JRPGs just for the settings, but time and again I fail to get invested from a character, story, and/or for sure gameplay.

I hate when CRPGs put a limit on how many characters you can have on your party but makes you fight hordes of enemies. What the hell is the rest of the party doing; parking the wagons? Why do the bad guys get to have a bigger party?

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

The cornucopia of CRPGs can get depleted!

In another thread, someone said, you can never have enough CRPGs. Well, I beg to differ. I've never just played CRPGs, I like all kinds of pc game genres. The more that gets made, the more the original premise loses a bit of its soul, so let's broaden our horizons and play Candy Crush! *Runs for cover*

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I hate when CRPGs put a limit on how many characters you can have on your party but makes you fight hordes of enemies. What the hell is the rest of the party doing; parking the wagons? Why do the bad guys get to have a bigger party?

One of the things I liked about the Suikoden games. 6 member parties in JRPGs were unheard of, but they did things like combo moves between groups and such that let you do really interesting things. Seems like 3 members is the standard now.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Guess thinking "modern" crafting is a blight upon cRPG's isn't that blasphemous after all...

Makes me wonder why modern games seem to strive more and more to outdo each other with 'better' crafting systems (read; more crap to collect, more crap to make, and worse balance in the crafting/finds department).

@ Guard Dog; There's not a single 3D RTS I like. Unless they can make 3D RTS like Red Alert or Age of Empires II, the genre is dead to me.

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

When I said sequel, I was referring to Invisible War.  I'll take my chances with you.  You threaten strangers over the internet to compensate for your cowardice in the real world.

Yes, he's clearly out for you blood. Call the cops. :rolleyes:

Helz he is just joking, no need to take it seriously :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I think barely any of the opinions in this thread were blasphemous at all. : /

Do you care to offer a more scandalous one?

No more scandelous than some of the humdrum things offered in this thread.

- I've enjoyed romance in CRPGs on occassion.

- I prefer playing first CRPG playthroughs on easy mode so I can immerse myself in the story without having to crunch numbers to figure out why I'm dying and taking me out of the story. Challenge comes after story for me.

- Though Obsidian wrote my favourite companions, on average I've enjoyed more Bioware companions.

- The influence system in KotOR 2 was absolutely dumb.

• Like 1

They so badly need to remake Red Alert on a next-gen console.

TBH I'd love a RPG that has the Empire of the Rising Sun units as playable classes. Rocket Angels and the bow-wielding ladies, etc.

They so badly need to remake Red Alert on a next-gen console.

Don't RTS games tend to fail horribly on consoles?

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Well, I played Red Alert on the original PS:1. Which, coincidentally, had a mouse. I also loved the original X-Com on PS:1.

I played that game to death with the guy I used to share a flat with. Like weekend long Red Alert marathons with beer and pizza.

But yeah, RTS's have a mixed history on consoles.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Pssh. Merely one angry mob?

I can just see it now...

Meanwhile at the Electronic Arts corporate headquarters:

Soulless Executive #1 - "What's that noise outside?"

Soulless Executive #2 - "It's an angry mob."

Soulless Executive #1 - *looks at clock* "It's almost lunch time, is this really the first one today?"

Soulless Executive #2 - "As far as I know."

Soulless Executive #1 - "I guess we're just not trying hard enough."

Soulless Executive #2 - "Well, we're already planing on day 1 DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition, what else can we do?"

Soulless Executive Overlord - *appears in black puff of smoke* "We'll add microtransactions." *disappears in black puff of smoke*

Soulless Executive #1 - "That's why he gets paid the big bucks."

• Like 9

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have no clue where it was actually developed, but Septerra Core is as jRPG as jRPG gets, whether it was developed in Japan or elsewhere.

It's a CRPG with JRPG elements. Call it a JRPG and you must do the same with Anachronox and Planet Escape: Tournament.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I see it's reverse day today.

In a thread that's just begging for trolling/flamebaiting like this one, it's important to give it your all.

Chris Avellone should only write romances from now on.

Because it'd be like indirectly romancing Chris Avellone, he's so dreamy. *swoon*

Edited by AGX-17

Well, except that the confessions are reflective of what one personally believes.

To which it's safe to now assume that AGX-17 loves romance content and prefers that Avellone writes only that type of content.

I wouldn't agree, but I'm not one to judge you. Bruce will probably be a fan and talk up the topic with you, however.

Well, except that the confessions are reflective of what one personally believes.

To which it's safe to now assume that AGX-17 loves romance content and prefers that Avellone writes only that type of content.

I wouldn't agree, but I'm not one to judge you. Bruce will probably be a fan and talk up the topic with you, however.

I'm sorry, but don't you work for that company with all the romance simulators? It seems to me that you should be the romance authority on this forum.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

When I said sequel, I was referring to Invisible War.  I'll take my chances with you.  You threaten strangers over the internet to compensate for your cowardice in the real world.

He never threatened you ("prepare to be purged" is an obvious joke regarding his zest for the game series), but you wasted no time attacking his character.

• Like 1

1) Dungeons, parties and combat in general don't add to an RPG, they're just filler to pad out time, consequently:

2) All the stalwart RPG series of the 80s and early-to-mid 90s suck, except Ultima; specifically seven:

3) Single button resolve is the best combat system ever,...

#1 pretty much ½ of the reason to play.

#2 is absurd; ½ of those are better than most we have now.

#3 was tried by a silly person at SSI and they ruined 'Eye of the Beholder 3' for it.  The games are designed around timing and multi-tasking in combat... To reduce it to an "okay everybody... get'em!!" button, negates the entire concept of most of these games, and is only useful to those estranged souls stuck playing the wrong type of game for them, either by mistake or bad circumstance.

the whole RTwP vs TB debate is choosing between two lame horses

Not so... it's choosing between visiting ponies, or dolphins... these are not directly comparable. Turn based is not RT/w [a longer] pause; and RT/wPause is nothing like turn based... and neither try to copy or excel at the other's style of offered experience. These are something to seek out ~each for its own sake; not something one has to settle for, or presume inferiority of. :lol:

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

Dude..... again no need to get defensive in the "Spill your blasphemous opinions" thread....

We could all come up with responses too all of these posts.  Unless you're suggesting that YOUR post is the blasphemous one...

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

Romance discussions are like mold; unless you regularly clean the thread and keep it dry, the stuff just keeps showing up... :p;)

But this entire thread is just flamebait to begin with; if pro-romance discussion on forums.obsidian.net isn't trolling, then I don't know what is. I've got substantial experience in that field (I'd actually prefer to live up high in a tower rather than under a brige, however. But beggars can't be choosers, right?)

Edited by AGX-17