Spill your blasphemous opinions on CRPGs here

I see -- I suppose I might have some ideas & opinions now to share. Thanks for clarification!  :yes:

You shouldn't get bogged down by semantics, just spill your general RPG blasphemous opinions here. You will feel better, like when I say things like :

Bioware's suspension of disbelief relies on lowering the viewer's IQ, and that explains the condition of the BSN. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Stats and leveling aren't needed for a good crpg.

The KOTOR games have such terrible combat that the thought of replaying them is cringe-inducing.

Low-level gameplay is boring as hell.

Balance should come before ego stroking magiphiles.

• Like 6

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Blasphemy..

- Planescape Torment was boring as hell. 

- Turn based is boring as hell.

- 3D is overrated.

- Most homegrown world/campaign-setting created by crpg developers are just cheap FR rip-offs.

- IWD1 was the best game ever.

- NWN2 blew.

- Everyone loves powergaming.

- Everyone wants another 100+ hour long D&D cRPG.

J.

• Like 2

...got lots, but one major one...canna take anyone seriously in a cRPG discussion who didna enjoy/understand Planescape: Torment...jus' canna...

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Blasphemy..

- Planescape Torment was boring as hell. 

- Turn based is boring as hell.

- 3D is overrated.

- Most homegrown world/campaign-setting created by crpg developers are just cheap FR rip-offs.

- IWD1 was the best game ever.

- NWN2 blew.

- Everyone loves powergaming.

- Everyone wants another 100+ hour long D&D cRPG.

J.

I always liked you.

sonsofgygax.JPG

I always liked you.

Guess that's the end of the romance ;)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I thought it did happen... or did I just black out? Did I get some? :blink:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Stats and leveling aren't needed for a good crpg.

Stats and levelling don't necessarily need to be part of the UI, but there does have to be some form of numerical progression working under the bonnet in order for a game to even be considered an RPG. Without that, you're playing an action game or an adventure game. And if the progression is too basic, you're playing an action/adventure game with RPG elements.

Stats and leveling aren't needed for a good crpg

This is actually the reason I can't play through Fallout 3/New Vegas. I absolutely detest the leveling/stat system. I think they're "okay" for non-combat skill checks - like determining if you can defuse the bomb in Megaton - but for active gameplay, like (and especially) combat? I can't stand a weapon artificially being absolute garbage - both in terms of accuracy and damage - at the beginning of a game, and then becoming absolutely awesome in both by the time you've maxed out your "skill" in whatever relevant stat dump. I would love to play with a more Stalker-esque system, where a weapon is what a weapon bloody well is, exactly the same for everyone - for better or for worse - and you can't do squat to change it, except aim better.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

An RPG is just an adventure game where you get to choose options not because they're correct but because they're in character.

You want some degree of persistence in an RPG, but it need not be in the form of stats or any other numerical scale, it simply needs to track those past options, be they binary, ternary or n-ary.

• Like 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Because MC is dating KP now. I saw 'em in the back of the pub.

He cheated with Walsingham.

Stats and levelling don't necessarily need to be part of the UI, but there does have to be some form of numerical progression working under the bonnet in order for a game to even be considered an RPG. Without that, you're playing an action game or an adventure game. And if the progression is too basic, you're playing an action/adventure game with RPG elements.

An RPG is just an adventure game where you get to choose options not because they're correct but because they're in character.

You want some degree of persistence in an RPG, but it need not be in the form of stats or any other numerical scale, it simply needs to track those past options, be they binary, ternary or n-ary.

I feel Humanoid's response is close enough to what I would've wrote.

This is actually the reason I can't play through Fallout 3/New Vegas. I absolutely detest the leveling/stat system. I think they're "okay" for non-combat skill checks - like determining if you can defuse the bomb in Megaton - but for active gameplay, like (and especially) combat? I can't stand a weapon artificially being absolute garbage - both in terms of accuracy and damage - at the beginning of a game, and then becoming absolutely awesome in both by the time you've maxed out your "skill" in whatever relevant stat dump. I would love to play with a more Stalker-esque system, where a weapon is what a weapon bloody well is, exactly the same for everyone - for better or for worse - and you can't do squat to change it, except aim better.

I have to agree, even though I enjoyed New Vegas quite a lot. It just doesn't make sense to have stats determine weapon power in a game with action based combat.

Morrowind was much worse at this though.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

- Dragon Age 2, while flawed in some respects, was a very good game.  It's up there with BG2 in the games I replay the most.

Same here. Along with Deus Ex, Deus Ex HR and Red Alert 2.

Been a year and a half since my last Mass Effect 1-2 playthroughs and I'm not sure how likely I'm to approach them again, but they are quite high in the amount of playthroughs as well...

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

If you're referring to storyline or dialogue choices, then I don't really consider that to be a defining or essential feature of the genre. All RPGs have to have some kind of numerical progression in place, but not all of them have to have storyline and dialogue choices. A lot of the old RPGs didn't even have much of a storyline or dialogue at all, let alone choices to make.

Choices are just something that has been taken from the adventure genre  later on and added to RPGs in order to give them more flavour and complexity. It doesn't matter how you interpret such choices, they are by no means a defining feature of an RPG on their own.

Edited by Piccolo
  • Like 1

- D&D is only relevant to people desperately clinging to childhood memories of sweaty nerds spending the summer in their mom's basement.

- People who claim they understand Planescape: Torment and accuse everyone who don't like it of not are usually the ones blinded by the pseudo-philosophical writing in Torment because they've never read a real book. No, your fantasy crap literature doesn't count.

• Like 3

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

- People who claim they understand Planescape: Torment and accuse everyone who don't like it of not are usually the ones blinded by the pseudo-philosophical writing in Torment because they've never read a real book. No, your fantasy crap literature doesn't count.

That might sting some of the people here like a whip, but that doesn't mean it ain't true.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

If you're referring to storyline or dialogue choices, then I don't really consider that to be a defining or essential feature of the genre. All RPGs have to have some kind of numerical progression in place, but not all of them have to have storyline and dialogue choices. A lot of the old RPGs didn't even have much of a storyline or dialogue at all, let alone choices to make.

Choices are just something that has been taken from the adventure genre  later on and added to RPGs in order to give them more flavour and complexity. It doesn't matter how you interpret such choices, they are by no means a defining feature of an RPG on their own.

Those old games were rubbish and something I'm glad we've left behind.

Less bluntly and therefore less in keeping with this topic title, plenty of PnP RPG sessions end without a single dice being rolled. That's not to say they have no conditionals or element of chance, but the variables aren't really numerical as such. I mean technically you could have a gender stat that's either 0 or 1 I guess - or indeed 0.5.

(Perhaps disconcertingly, I'm enjoying indulging my inner Volourn in this way)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I can't help but notice that a game within the genre we're supposedly discussing would be called a Roleplaying Game, not an Increase Your Meaningless Stats Game. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Is that statement intended to be one of praise for those two games, or a subtle damning of the third game? :p

Both, I guess. I haven't spent nearly the same amount of time with ME3 as with the other two.

I thought the way the entire Quarian-Geth situation was dealt with was pretty weak (in fact, I thought the way they dealt with most situations in ME3 was rather weak, except for Tuchanka I guess which I thought was pretty great) Though I should probably play through the game again to see what they changed after I played it (and to refresh my memory).

- D&D is only relevant to people desperately clinging to childhood memories of sweaty nerds spending the summer in their mom's basement.

That might sting some of the people here like a whip, but that doesn't mean it ain't true.

Or they are people that are not entirely focused on being He-man and want an impartial gaming system with time tested rules for representing a balanced experience; one that really excites when things go their way ~because they know it doesn't have to (and because they know it might not continue to).

Games like Skyrim & Oblivion are the very antithesis of D&D and all it represents... [How's that for a blasphemous cRPG opinion?]:fdevil:

That may sting like a whip to some, but that doesn't mean it ain't true.

Some jokes you have to understand the reasons behind the humor ~or it's not funny. With Planescape it helps to understand the setting and the concepts involved... If you don't then the game is a wordy mess... if you do; (or even think you do)... It can be a masterwork. Planescape is a better RPG than Fallout 1 IMO. Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 3

I've read Kant, Spinoza, Deleuze, Nietzsche, what have you, and Torment is still a superb experience. It's certainly better than most ham-fisted philosophising in popular culture (e.g. Ghost in the Shell).

• Like 7