Spill your blasphemous opinions on CRPGs here

And now, for the most blasphemous statement in the history of blasphemous statements:

• I honestly don't miss cloth maps in the slightest bit
  • Like 7

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And now, for the most blasphemous statement in the history of blasphemous statements:

Never had a cloth map in my life.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Never had a cloth map on my life.

Oh sure, had to one-up me with an even more blasphemous statement.  Show-off!  :p

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

:bat:

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Barbaric heathen, you shall be punished by all the Gods of the Gods for such treacherous blasphemy! :biggrin:

...I miss them a little, but I don't remember using one for reference while playing or anything. They were like cool wallpapers ... for your actual wall.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Digital distribution must be a godsend to game companies, especially small to mid-size.  I imagine the money saved with digital distribution compared to burning discs must be quite significant.  Heck, even after Uncle GabeN and... (/looks up GOG wiki to see who runs the show) Uncle Guillame take their cuts, it's still gotta be a heck of a lot cheaper than burning discs, printing boxes, manuals, code wheels (ah, good ol' code wheels :biggrin: ), etc.

The fixed cost is minimal which removes barriers to entry.

IMO digital has been huuuuuuuuuuge. Even for larger studios.

...I miss them a little, but I don't remember using one for reference while playing or anything. They were like cool wallpapers ... for your actual wall.

Were the 'mapkins' ever that accurate?; I liked them, I still have the one from NWN.

The Ultima 7 one was genuinely useful, both for general use and for ....copy protection. But the same can't be said of those games lacking open world exploration. U8's was completely useless. The Baldur's Gate 2 one, in addition to being useless, had dodgy paint that came off onto the CD case when I stored them together, ruining both.

I heard there was some controversy when Bethesda initially promised cloth maps with some Skyrim editions, only to change it late on. Now that's a game where a nice durable map would have been handy.

At least useless cloth maps still have some reasonable value as collectibles. Useless paper maps - and I mean cheap crappy paper - like that which came with IWD2, are just plain baffling.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Digital distribution must be a godsend to game companies, especially small to mid-size.  I imagine the money saved with digital distribution compared to burning discs must be quite significant.  Heck, even after Uncle GabeN and... (/looks up GOG wiki to see who runs the show) Uncle Guillame take their cuts, it's still gotta be a heck of a lot cheaper than burning discs, printing boxes, manuals, code wheels (ah, good ol' code wheels :biggrin: ), etc.

And more importantly, most of what you pay the digital distributors is paid after a sale has been made. So you don't have to front all the cash required for distribution.

So even if you ended up paying more to a digital distributor (which you don't) not having to spend the money up front would still make it worth it I think, at least for smaller developers.

I heard there was some controversy when Bethesda initially promised cloth maps with some Skyrim editions, only to change it late on. Now that's a game where a nice durable map would have been handy.

The map that came with the standard edition of Skyrim is pretty nice. It's paper, but it's thick and has a nice cloth texture to it. Pity the game holds your hand so much that there's really no practical need for it, but it certainly looks great on the wall.

I prefer the paper maps over the cloth ones.  The paper ones usually have cool art at least.  I have a nice Baldur's Gate one that has a really detailed layout of the city. 

I miss old time manuals a lot more than any of the cheap memorabilia though. 

Another blasphemy: Deus Ex is one of the most overrated games of all time, but I liked the sequel quite a bit.

Here's yet another: Truth be told, I think I've always hated trainers in CRPGs.

I don't, but I prefer savegame editors or console commands. ;)

• Like 3
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Sims 2 is a good RPG.

Boom.

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think barely any of the opinions in this thread were blasphemous at all. : /

Do you care to offer a more scandalous one?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Another blasphemy: Deus Ex is one of the most overrated games of all time, but I liked the sequel quite a bit.

If by "the sequel" you mean the prequel, I'd reluctantly have to agree (crappy storyline or not, smoother gameplay is smooth). Otherwise, prepare to be purged.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

The Sims 2 is a good RPG.

Boom.

If that's what we're doing... Stand back guys, I've got this.

My favorite RPG is Angry Birds.

Activision is at the cutting edge of originality, creativity and artistic freedom in the gaming industry.

Saving the best for last.

darksouls_vs_elderscrolls.jpg

Edited by AGX-17