Spill your blasphemous opinions on CRPGs here

I don't see why we need to stop at "Star Wars is a bad RPG setting". Star Wars is just bad, everything about it, it's just a terrible property that should have been forgotten in the year that spawned it.

Then repeat that sentence and replace all instances of "Star Wars" with "Lord of the Rings".

P.S. Superheroes are a dumb concept.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I don't see why we need to stop at "Star Wars is a bad RPG setting". Star Wars is just bad, everything about it, it's just a terrible property that should have been forgotten in the year that spawned it.

Then repeat that sentence and replace all instances of "Star Wars" with "Lord of the Rings".

P.S. Superheroes are a dumb concept.

The flames of hell are too good for you.

• Like 9

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Some fantastic stuff in this thread. Here's my contribution. Blasphemous is considered something that most I'd talk to would disagree with, not necessarily what's against or in line with this forum. 

• Any Final Fantasy game has just as much right to call itself a true and solid RPG as the Mass Effect series.
    • Also, FFXII has one of the best stories of any RPG ever. 
  • Reactivity is one of the most important parts of an RPG. 
  • Therefore, Alpha Protocol is one of the best RPGs of all time, in terms of catching and fulfilling the essence of what an RPG is. 
  • I'll throw in my two cents agreeing with everyone saying AD&D is atrocious. 
  • In fact, the adaptation of any table-top RPG ruleset to a computer game will make the game worse for it. 
  • Dark Souls tells its story better than any other game, ever. 
  • Like 2

I expect to be tarred and feathered for this, but...

BG2 is the worst IE game.  My personal rating is PS:T>IWD>BG>IWD2>BG2.  IWD2 would be above BG if I hadn't encountered a game-killing bug my first playthrough.

Consequences are unnecessary in an RPG.  All that matters is choices, and how those choices define your character.

Real-time with pause combat is awful, and can never be legitimately difficult, as it's too easy to correct your mistakes.

4E D&D is the only edition that's been remotely playable, and it is also sadly the only edition that hasn't gotten a noteworthy game made based upon it.

Class-based systems are awful, and are only acceptable in an RPG because non-class systems give you no idea what potential skills your possible companions might have, and therefore no decent way to determine in what direction to build your character.

Level scaling is good, but only when enemies scale upwards, and not down (i.e. you can still encounter enemies who will trounce you out of hand, but should never encounter enemies that you just walk all over...those are only boring wastes of time.)

Every Bioware game since BG1 has been good(Well, I can't comment on the Sonic one), and romances enhance an RPG.

Graphics matter. I have never played a Spiderweb game, and until they up their graphics to the level of 1998 or better, I never will.

Balance isn't that important. Rogues shouldn't be just as effective as fighters in combat.

I agree with Jennifer Hepler. Combat is the worst part of RPGs. I generally set it to easy and cheat to get through it faster.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't know why but this thread makes me feel like a perverted priest taking confession.

• Like 7
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Here are a few blasphemous opinions of mine concerning CRPGs that I've merrily listed here:

-RTwP is better for CRPGs than turn-based (even if I voted turn-based for ToN)

That's like an Evangelical Christian conservative walking into a sunday megachurch service held by Pat Robertson and declaring their opposition to gay marriage.

Here's a controversial opinion on cRPGs (in the cRPG community, the vast majority of other gamers and essentially all norps don't give any ****s):

Turn-based is better than RTwP. RTwP is just a middle ground for the sake of pussies who can't handle RTS gameplay. BAM! Check.

Some fantastic stuff in this thread. Here's my contribution. Blasphemous is considered something that most I'd talk to would disagree with, not necessarily what's against or in line with this forum. 

Any Final Fantasy game has just as much right to call itself a true and solid RPG as the Mass Effect series.

Isn't that just a dig at Mass Effect/Bioware? Not that I oppose any digs at ME/Bioware.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

Games as an online service is the future.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Just had to bring up religion and politics at the bar, thanks a lot, now there is more than one patron here, who is dead to me. I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that George Lucas has got a sick sense of humor, and when I die, I expect to find him laughing. 

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

* DA:I will be better than TW3

* Piranha Bytes makes better games then Bethesda

* Playing Evil is more fun than playing good

* Mages are the only class worth playing

* Deus Ex is better than BG

* I enjoyed Deus Ex:IW

* Star Trek would be the best licensed RPG setting

* Sci-Fi>Post Apocalyptic>Steam Punk>Fantasy

* VTM:B was better then BG1&2

* Malkavian is the best class ever made

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

A hearty +1 to every person who thinks that CRPGs have almost universally failed to provide role-playing.

So my heretical thoughts:

-Nethack is pretty much the height of RPG design for an electronic device.

-An RPG with a pre-determined plot isn't really an RPG.

-An RPG writer trying to tell a story in a game is probably just a frustrated novelist and 99.9% of them should probably just try to write bad fiction instead.

-A (good) live DM, running adventures and dynamic events on a NWN persistent-world, hardcore server, was often about a million times better than any single-player CRPG ever made.

Computers are awesome at procedural generation, math and graphics, but they suck at what makes tabletop RPGs so great - they can't wing it, when your players ask if what happens if they cast ray of frost on those wet rocks at the feet of the cyclops, standing next to the edge of that cliff.

That said, I still can't stop playing the CRPGs that fake it well.

• Like 1

Not necessarily. It just depends on whether or not the advantages of aiming for a market subset are considered worth it.

I liken it to some places requiring a credit card for purchase, for instance. Those that will only pay cash won't go there, but if the business finds it benefits from the decision then it works.

(You could probably also make arguments for things like computer hardware and how it inevitable goes obsolete, whether console or PC)

Just had to bring up religion and politics at the bar, thanks a lot, now there is more than one patron here, who is dead to me. I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that George Lucas has got a sick sense of humor, and when I die, I expect to find him laughing. 

You, Sir, win the Internet for the day as far as I am concerned.

Majestic.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Games as an online service is the future.

Hell.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I liked the mass effect response wheel, and it always said something along the lines of what I intended it. I didn't get everyone's whining about it.

• Like 4

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors, but I think that George Lucas has got a sick sense of humor, and when I die, I expect to find him laughing. 

I see what you did there...  O.o

That's basically a line from the chorus for the tune Blasphemous Rumours by Depeche Mode, and yes it was somehow the inspiration for my using that weird word in the firs place.  :yes: 

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I really liked Dragon Age 2, I found it to be the best fantasy rpg since Bg2. The only thing I didn't like was the cave recycling, but I found all the good bits to make up for it.

Meanwhile, I thought DAO represents a lot of the bad things in RPGs, namely everything running on for too long and a grindyness and sluggishness in the combat.

I love the Mass Effect series and felt the ME3 ending took the proverbial dump in my cereals. (finnish proverb, that is)

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif