In keeping with the design a god thread, and the creatures in project eternity thread. I present the Design a monster thread.

I'll start:

-----

The Ragman

Ever wondered "Why does no-one do something to help those poor souls?" When the beggars come calling. I mean, not you, obviously, you'd love to help. Sometimes you even donate. But why isn't anything really done?

The Ragman is why. Help the ragman and he'll take your place. And you become the Ragman.

A shambling ragged creature, he looks like a pitiful man, down on his luck, shaking with a small cup. He's a true picture of sadness, engineered to play the heartstrings of those bleeding hearts. The weak. He seems just sad. quiet and sometimes mumbling. You never actually listen, you give him a coin and then leave.

Big mistake.

The moment you put something in his cup, he will latch on to you, first your arm, then something hooks your legs, and before you know it more limbs, nay tentacles are grabbing on. His raggedy cloak envelops you, you feel yourself squeezed into it. gasping, the clothes fit you now, but they are ever so tight. You can hardly breathe, only maybe made the sounds of a soft mumble. the constricting grip of the clothes make you shake, shake the cup in your hand...

And as you get up from your prone position, you see yourself, walking off...

The Ragman has stolen your body.

You are The Ragman now.

But there is one hope...

Maybe if someone puts a coin in your cup...

Maybe.

Thriving in the back-alleys in the poorest sections of big cities, no-one has ever done much about the issue. I mean, there are stories, sure, but they are to prevent the kids from going to those places.

The Ragman preys on the weak, he will not attack groups but a single member, provided he's isolated enough (or seems that way), may find him or herself targeted by the constricting tentacle-monster.

More likely, the player will encounter the rag-man preying on someone else, if the player is observant enough.

• Like 13

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

In keeping with the design a god thread, and the creatures in project eternity thread. I present the Design a monster thread.

I'll start:

-----

The Ragman

Ever wondered "Why does no-one do something to help those poor souls?" When the beggars come calling. I mean, not you, obviously, you'd love to help. Sometimes you even donate. But why isn't anything really done?

The Ragman is why. Help the ragman and he'll take your place. And you become the Ragman.

A shambling ragged creature, he looks like a pitiful man, down on his luck, shaking with a small cup. He's a true picture of sadness, engineered to play the heartstrings of those bleeding hearts. The weak. He seems just sad. quiet and sometimes mumbling. You never actually listen, you give him a coin and then leave.

Big mistake.

The moment you put something in his cup, he will latch on to you, first your arm, then something hooks your legs, and before you know it more limbs, nay tentacles are grabbing on. His raggedy cloak envelops you, you feel yourself squeezed into it. gasping, the clothes fit you now, but they are ever so tight. You can hardly breathe, only maybe made the sounds of a soft mumble. the constricting grip of the clothes make you shake, shake the cup in your hand...

You are The Ragman now.

But there is one hope...

Maybe.

Thriving in the back-alleys in the poorest sections of big cities, no-one has ever done much about the issue. I mean, there are stories, sure, but they are to prevent the kids from going to those places.

The Ragman preys on the weak, he will not attack groups but a single member, provided he's isolated enough (or seems that way), may find him or herself targeted by the constricting tentacle-monster.

More likely, the player will encounter the rag-man preying on someone else, if the player is observant enough.

How is this a good idea, precisely? An arbitrary stonewall to progress? And how exactly is the game meant to progress once "you" have rag-raped some NPC? If "the ragman" is "you" then who are "you" once "you" have rag-raped some NPC? Once you're that NPC how are you supposed to become "you" again?

It sounds more like you're just expressing your fantasies about being tentacle raped like a Japanese schoolgirl.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 3

Name: Void Viscera

Description: A void viscera in a black coalescent ooze of a decaying mass from the corpse of a being whose soul was torn from its body before the body itself had died. When the husk dies, the resulting carrion remains traumatized by the premature loss of soul, and becomes a ravenous vacuum of survival instinct, attempting to salvage itself with the essence of whatever souls it can find.

Abilities:

• Culvert: The void viscera possess animal-like opportunism, and will reflexively latch on to the heightened energy state of a soul when it attempts to utilize magic or a supernatural power. There is a X% chance that any magic or supernatural ability will fail in the presence of a void slime, healing the void slime proportionately to the power nullified.
  • Assume: When struck by a void slime, there is an X% chance that the void slime will assume the highest attribute or resistance of the character struck. The victim simultaneously suffers Y penalty in whichever attribute or resistance was assumed. This effect persists for Z "rounds" for both the victim and the void viscera.
  • Coalesce: Void Viscera may merge with any void viscera within X meters. Merging void viscera assume the total remaining health, fatigue, and highest attributes and resistances of each individual void viscera.

Attributes: The traits of whatever victim it has most recently slain, retaining the highest value traits when a newer slain creature is assumed. The void viscera does not sleep, breathe, or think. The void viscera has no senses other than the supernatural ability to detect souls within X meters. Void Viscera make no sounds and are difficult to visually detect, but emit a potent stench of rotting death.

• Like 5

I was going to make one called Mr. Jack based upon a Cracked.com article I read one time. There is something called Mr. Jack's Mustache in a list called The 25 Most Disturbing Adult Toys of all time. The appearance of this thing is downright frightening and it would be hilarious to see a monster themed on it. But, I can't really figure out what it would do, without being in the same realm as it's intended purpose. If I could think of an RPG purpose for it then I'd have done it.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I'll start:

-----

The Ragman

Big mistake.

You are The Ragman now.

But there is one hope...

Maybe.

How is this a good idea, precisely? An arbitrary stonewall to progress? And how exactly is the game meant to progress once "you" have rag-raped some NPC? If "the ragman" is "you" then who are "you" once "you" have rag-raped some NPC? Once you're that NPC how are you supposed to become "you" again?

It sounds more like you're just expressing your fantasies about being tentacle raped like a Japanese schoolgirl.

Come now AGX, you need to use your imagination a  bit more and see how this type of concept would apply in a fantasy setting. Its not hard.

The party in PE could be approached by the monster Rag Man and ask for help in retrieving his body  or what about a member of the party that is the Rag Man, and you discover that he is in fact not human. You could even extend the idea where your Rag Man party member keeps killing people when you visit towns, and you realize that someone in your party is a murderer.

Its a good idea and has some exciting possible consequences

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 6

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'll start:

-----

The Ragman

Big mistake.

You are The Ragman now.

But there is one hope...

Maybe.

Come now AGX, you need to use your imagination a  bit more and see how this type of concept would apply in a fantasy setting. Its not hard.

The party in PE could be approached by the monster Rag Man and ask for help in retrieving his body  or what about a member of the party that is the Rag Man, and you discover that he is in fact not human. You could even extend the idea where your Rag Man party member keeps killing people when you visit towns, and you realize that someone in your party is a murderer.

I think that would work much better as the ending to a whodunnit type quest than as something which could attack the party, for a start it's like something that would attack lone people, and secondly it would be difficult to implement it taking over a player characters body

I'm all for having weird nightmarish stuff like this in the game though...

• Like 2

I was actually thinking of it as a quest hook. People acting weird, stories of strange creatures walking the streets in the bad parts of town, etc. It would affect others more than the party. The party would have to find a way to draw it out and kill it.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'll start:

-----

The Ragman

Big mistake.

You are The Ragman now.

But there is one hope...

Maybe.

I think that would work much better as the ending to a whodunnit type quest than as something which could attack the party, for a start it's like something that would attack lone people, and secondly it would be difficult to implement it taking over a player characters body

I'm all for having weird nightmarish stuff like this in the game though...

I was actually thinking of it as a quest hook. People acting weird, stories of strange creatures walking the streets in the bad parts of town, etc. It would affect others more than the party. The party would have to find a way to draw it out and kill it.

Yeah quest hooks are good idea's, but the I do like the concept of a Doppelganger in your party as another idea. Imagine at some point in the game having to kill a party member who is not only a valuable person in combat but also someone you like or who you have had Romance\Sex with

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

then why don't you write that monster? ;)

---

Nothing specific, but it would be nice to have some character specific enemies. Racists, sexists, oter-ists.... It's always nice to slam a sledgehammer into their face ^^
Though I bet some are already planned.

I want the same stuff your smokeing .. holly ****tt ... son

you're* , smoking*, holy*, *****

Edited by Aoyagi
  • Like 4

From classic fantasy novels and such:

Mirror Demon

If someone in your party lingers too long in front of an old and beautifully ornate, oak-framed looking glass that someone gets sucked in to a hideous mirror realm alone and have to fend off kaleidoscopic mind-messing horrors. The poor soul that got caught in the mirror realm is stuck there until the rest of the party can slay the mirror demon that took its place. The mirror demon that steps out of the mirror looks like the party member it replaced but with eyes that reflect all light and glass shards for hands. The mirror demon is a tremendous adversary, blinding opponents, fracturing reality with cipher-abilites and super-swift sweeps with those razor-sharp hands. Scarily enough, it is dead silent in all its movements.

• Like 8

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Ramnit's Modular slime.

----

Modular slime is a hive mind of collective slime creatures surviving in the sewers beneath a wizard's laboratory. Whether or not it's one creature or several is difficult to say. The slime mould flows freely up and down walls, ceilings, and the floor, using differences in its surface tension to propel itself. Each mould is slightly caustic causing acid damage to armour and skin upon contact. Each mould can send down a spike of it's material into the flesh of their prey, usually vermin, although this requires quite a bit of effort on the slime's part, which means it charges slowly. (but strikes fast when it does) whatever doesn't get away gets digested and grows the mould. When the mould is big enough, it splits. Each slime's senses are connected with all other nearby slime, so if one is in peril, they tend to swarm the attacker.

And this is where it becomes interesting. Modular slime each can attack individually, but when their health drops to half of their normal health, they flee and join the nearest mould. Merging and adding it's remaining health to the other mould. This survival technique allows the slime mould to tackle ever bigger prey, to survive as long as there is another slime mould alive nearby. Because of this, their number/it's size have/has been growing steadily.

Something needs to be done before it/they spread outside of the sewers into the world. There's no stopping them when they become too numerous.

If not all slime-moulds are killed, they inevitably resurge.

Modular slime, because of it's shapeless nature, can move through cracks, locks (albeit slowly), grates, tubes... any hole connected to a surface. There might be one coming out of your toilet right now...

----

Players are likely to either encounter the modular slime during free exploration of the sewers, at first seeing the moulds as a small nuisance not to worry about, but as the concentration of the slime grows, they become ever harder to defeat. The closer the party gets to Ramnit's underground laboratory, the greater concentrations of slime the party encounters.

The other way players encounter the mould is if they are either asked to find out by Ramnit to clean up his underground laboratory, or by the local druid who has been noticing ever less vermin around. Maybe someone lost their pet.

The best way to deal with the mould collective is using area damage, fire and freezing. Killing isolated individuals might be easier, but it's slow going, and good luck isolating them. The dead slime material might be interesting for alchemists.

Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 5

---

From classic fantasy novels and such:

Mirror Demon

If someone in your party lingers too long in front of an old and beautifully ornate, oak-framed looking glass that someone gets sucked in to a hideous mirror realm alone and have to fend off kaleidoscopic mind-messing horrors. The poor soul that got caught in the mirror realm is stuck there until the rest of the party can slay the mirror demon that took its place. The mirror demon that steps out of the mirror looks like the party member it replaced but with eyes that reflect all light and glass shards for hands. The mirror demon is a tremendous adversary, blinding opponents, fracturing reality with cipher-abilites and super-swift sweeps with those razor-sharp hands. Scarily enough, it is dead silent in all its movements.

I remember the Mirror Demon from one of the Fighting Fantasy books by Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone. I think it might  have been Deathtrap Dungeon, anyway you had to Test your Luck before the battle or the Demon dragged you for all eternity into its mirror netherworld. At the time I was absolutely terrified of that thought :)

Thats a good monster

John Milton 

Madness Assassin.

A Madness Assassin is a rare and powerful creature, created and controlled by a cabal of powerful wizards. Rarely used but devastatingly effective.

The madness assassin is an invisible creature. Its presence is often only known for the carnage it leaves behind.

The madness assassin is released somewhere within twenty miles of its target. It seeks out not his target, but anyone who knows the target, using his mental abilities he trawls the crowds of the city until he finds someone who knows the target.

Then it trails that person until he or she is isolated. it presses it's invisible claws on both sides of the victim's head, and attacks the mind. The victim must pass a will save or be overwhelmed. If the victim succeeds the will save, which is practically unheard of, the Madness assassin crushes the victims head.

If the victim fails the will-save, the Madness Assassin plants a powerful suggestion in the mind of the victim. Then it fades back into the crowd, looking for the next person who knows the target.

When a victim of the Madness Assassin sees their target, they try to get in range, after which the victim breaks out in an overwhelming rage, trying to kill the target with whatever is the most direct means possible. When the target is dead the victim keeps on fighting everyone nearby. If no-one else is nearby, they commit suicide.

The Madness Assassin has a mental link with each victim, which is activated when a victim goes into a rage. So the Madness Assassin knows how the victim fares. As long as the target remains alive, as long as there are people alive who know the target, the hunt never ends.

Actually, failing to find anyone who knows the target means the Madness Assassin victimises random people to increase the odds for random encounters.

Upon successful completion of the assassination, the Cabal must act quickly to overpower the Madness Assassin and return it to its cage. The Madness Assassin on the loose will continue to plant suggestions in victims heads as long as it's free to do so, and will randomly select a new target as suits its pleasure, relishing the most difficult targets most.

----

It's exceptionally unlikely that the party will encounter the Madness Assassin randomly, because it hunts solitary prey, because it's invisible, and because it's intelligent enough to avoid pursuit. More likely the player will encounter the handiwork of the Madness Assassin, random strangers or good friends suddenly attacking others, or the party. A target who has asked the party for protection against a string of assassination attempts from people he or she considered friends. The palace guard, who managed to overpower an irate victim before she could commit suicide, hoping the party cipher can root out the beast using the mental link that's been activated. Perhaps the Cabal has lost control of their assassin and reluctantly call in aid from their shady contacts in order to deal with the embarrassment.

----

When cornered by superior force, the Madness Assassin will attempt to flee. If it manages to flee the party can expect a slew of random attacks from unexpected people. If cornered, the Madness Assassin will attempt to split up the party and take over the mind of the member with the lowest mental resistance. It's claws deal crushing damage and daze the party-members. it has a slew of mental attacks intended to cause confusion, sleep or stun so it can slip away. It tries to avoid direct combat at all costs, but can easily defeat an unprepared party.

The Madness Assassin would be a late game monster.

• Like 6

---

Thanks, BruceVC, and yea, Deathrap Dungeon!  :)

I still have that book. It's great.

JFSOCC: Your Madness Assassin just made PE a mature RPG, coz it scares the living daylights out of me! :unsure:  :ninja:  :o  :ermm:

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Name: Choir Toad

Description: The choir toad is a large, exceptionally leathery, communal toad with a booming croak. When alone, a choir toad is merely an irritation, but their calls attract other to them, and can quickly get out of hand.

Abilities:

• Mating Song: The choir toad may attempt to call other toads to it. When engaged in this song, there is an X% chance Y toads will appear.
  • Cacophony: When four or more choir toads are present, their croaks become so load, that there is an X% chance spellcasting and abilities requiring concentration will fail. Furthermore, there is a Y% chance that creatures other than choir toad will go berserk for Z rounds. While Cacophony is in effect, all sleep, unconcious, and mind-controlling effects are nullified.
  • Crescendo: As an extraordinary ability, a choir toad may produce an exceptionally load and focused croak, incurring X% chance to stun an opponent for Y rounds.

Attributes:

• Low: Agility, Speed, Health
  • Med: Strength
  • High: Durability, Stamina
Edited by Mr. Magniloquent
  • Like 4

Silent night.

It's late at night, crickets are filling the sky with noise. It was a tough day, your party was waylaid by an ambush, you've been injured. But all is okay now. Bandaged up, you could use some sleep. Your friend is slowly sharpening her blade, but eventually she loses interest.

The campfire is down to its last embers.

Conversation has petered out. You're about to drift off to sleep.

It's getting quieter.

the last ember sputters and fades

There's no noise.

SHHTLUCK!

You feel a cold visceral pain and you are impaled by a hard to see arm. You want to call out but you find no noise is coming.

Before your team is up to fight, you've taken several blows to the gut.

You should have listened.

You should have listened for the silence.

Silent night is a creature that walks in overwhelmingly loud silence. Everything near it is muted, colour, light, sound and sensation.

Silent night is ever shrouded in darkness. The only way to see it coming is to notice the absence of these things.

Silent night only attacks at night, only parties with badly injured members, and usually retreats back into the darkness as soon as it's confronted. Meaning it sneaks up on your weakest member, strikes it for damage, and then withdraws.

You'll be lucky to spot it.

It will intermittently during the night keep up its attack. While no shape can be detected, it IS a physical being and will fall for traps, area damage, and, if you're fast and lucky enough, glancing blows.

It's not got particularly much hitpoints, but since it hardly ever gives you a fair fight, it can cause real dread.

Going through a forest with a weakened party member becomes a race for dawn, or succour.

Alarms don't work well because they often rely on sound or sight.

Should the party be able to corner a Silent Night, and kill it. the fine rag dust it leaves behind is the perfect fabric for a cloak of night.

JFSOCC: Your Madness Assassin just made PE a mature RPG, coz it scares the living daylights out of me! :unsure::ninja::o:ermm:

:blush: Edited by JFSOCC
  • Like 6

---

Name: Soul Jelly

Description: A soul jelly is a luminescent, levitating being that resembles a jellyfish. It is man sized and feeds on the souls of living beings by descending upon them with their soul draining tendrils. Once a soul has been consumed, an approximation of the persons head grows on the end of a protuberance from underneath the cap of the creature, wailing and moaning as if in distress. These heads manifest because the soul jelly is storing the soul energy for later consumption, much as a spider might wrap up prey for later. The soul jelly can also use the stored energy as fuel for its various powers.

Abilities:

• Flash: the jelly lights up and overloads the optic nerves of sighted nearby creatures, leaving them ripe to be fed upon
  • Ensnare: the jelly captures someone by wrapping a single tendril around them and attempts to drag him into its center to be fed upon
  • Darken: the jelly becomes almost invisible, it usually uses this ability to ambush prey or escape when injured
  • Cipher Chant: it is possible that one of the heads will be that of a Cipher, and the jelly can force the head to use its chants to aid the monster in combat

Ecology: Soul jellys are a dangerous natural predator that stalk all the races of the world and await at the edges of civilization. They breed by simple division, once they are able to store enough soul energy, one creature becomes two. As if they werent bad enough, they leave behind Void Viscera (a monster designed by Mr. Magniloquent above) when they feed, as they tear the soul from the body.

• Like 4

I'm enjoying this thread. Whenever I stop by the forum I take a brief moment to ponder a new creature. As any proper DM, I find a special charm in devising unsuspecting terror that makes players panic the second time they encounter it, having underestimated it the first time around.

Name: Umbran

Description: Appears as large raven with a singular fiery orange eye prominently resting above its beak. It is completely black, with supple feathers laden with an ash-like substance that its body produces. It is a solitary beast with an almost human-like intellect. The umbran has a an insatiable avarice for precious stones and metals, collecting them within its nest and hollows of whatever it roosts within. The umbran eschews direct combat, and possesses many abilities to confound its prey.

Abilities:

• Douse: The umbran may discharge the soot-like coating of its feathers in a black cloud, providing X% concealment to the umbran and a Y% chance to blind anyone caught within the area. Both effects last for Z rounds. Similarly, this effect occurs every time the umbran is physically struck by an opponent.
  • Toll: The umbran possess a magical caw which inflicts X magical damage and evokes mortal fear in the soul of an opponent for for Y% rounds. Even if the fear is resisted, the opponent still suffers magical damage.
  • Pilfer: When physically attacking an opponent, the umbran brazenly attempts to steal any attractive objects it can. Any successful hit incurs X% chance a worn jewelry item will be dropped.

Attributes:

• Flight, Night-vision
  • Low: Health, Durability, Strength
  • Med: Stamina
  • High: Speed, Agility, Evasion
  • Like 5

I'm enjoying this thread. Whenever I stop by the forum I take a brief moment to ponder a new creature. As any proper DM, I find a special charm in devising unsuspecting terror that makes players panic the second time they encounter it, having underestimated it the first time around.

Name: Umbran

Description: Appears as large raven with a singular fiery orange eye prominently resting above its beak. It is completely black, with supple feathers laden with an ash-like substance that its body produces. It is a solitary beast with an almost human-like intellect. The umbran has a an insatiable avarice for precious stones and metals, collecting them within its nest and hollows of whatever it roosts within. The umbran eschews direct combat, and possesses many abilities to confound its prey.

Abilities:

• Douse: The umbran may discharge the soot-like coating of its feathers in a black cloud, providing X% concealment to the umbran and a Y% chance to blind anyone caught within the area. Both effects last for Z rounds. Similarly, this effect occurs every time the umbran is physically struck by an opponent.
  • Toll: The umbran possess a magical caw which inflicts X magical damage and evokes mortal fear in the soul of an opponent for for Y% rounds. Even if the fear is resisted, the opponent still suffers magical damage.
  • Pilfer: When physically attacking an opponent, the umbran brazenly attempts to steal any attractive objects it can. Any successful hit incurs X% chance a worn jewelry item will be dropped.

Attributes:

• Flight, Night-vision
  • Low: Health, Durability, Strength
  • Med: Stamina
  • High: Speed, Agility, Evasion

I like this beast, you have clearly given it some good thought :)

John Milton 

The Gygul Squeed.

This hideous bloated monster dwells in foul pits ruined by its own cancerous mass and disgusting dietary habits, however despite it truly grotesque appearance the creature endlessly seeks to console itself through copulation with other species, willing or unwilling. It has a strangely childlike high pitched squealing voice, which it uses from hiding to draw in its prey, an endless repetition of the strange word "Wubmi."  With its long flabby suckered arms it latches onto any prey that approaches and drags them into the sickening vast bulk of its torso, slowly suffocating them in tides of blubber and poisonous stale sweat. It has never shown any mercy for the poor creatures it entraps, paying no heed to gender, race or species, it only wants to satiate its own sickening desires. In the end they die and rot, food for the Squeed.

Strangely enough after this unsuccessful copulation the monster mourns the creature it has just killed, thrashing and wailing in its pits for days or even weeks until the endless hunger once again overcomes it. Then it feeds before the call of "Wubmi" rises again and it hunts for the next innocent, hoping that this one will be able to stave off its hunger.

Folk legends state that a ring thrown at the monster will entrance it for awhile, allowing the victim to flee, perhaps the symbol of Eternity fascinates it. Others insist that a mirror held up to the creatures gaze will reduce it into a pile of salt water. However most folk are wise enough to run  for safety when hearing the endless beseeching cries of "Wubmi" echoing over the land, for not even monsters of great power, evil and strength care to endure its vile presence.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Blackoutbeast.

People have been going missing on the road to Big Big City 1.

There are tales of people who walk into town, no idea where they are or how the got there.

It is assumed some monstrosity roams the land near the road to Big Big city 1.

And brave or mercenary as you are, you've taken up the task of dealing with it.

You've finally encountered the beast, you've been tracking it down. It's been bothering the neighbourhood and it's time to kick the nuisance out.

You position your team. There it is, time for pain. The party mage begins to chant, the rogue has steadily been sneaking up on it from behind

-----

Your party is in another part of the forest, there are trolls EVERYWHERE. What is happening!? Your party knuckles down and defeats the trolls. Lost your mage though. That's a tough loss. Without his arcane protection he fell pretty quickly.

Wait... didn't I catch him prepare his defence? I did. You fought the big fuzzy looking beast, and then we were fighting trolls.

How did that happen?

The Blackoutbeast causes the party to be dazed, wonder off during the confusion, after a while, the confusion ends, but the party can't make new memory for minutes to hours. When the party finally comes out of it, all time since you've encountered the beast is gone from memory, and you found yourself in a situation you had no idea how you got into.

But your party doesn't know that, the player only sees a fade to black and then a fade into being surrounded by hostiles with no time to plan.

The Blackoutbeast can't be fought directly. Recommended is use of ranged weapons (long range), traps, summoned non-animal creatures, constructs (IE golems) and mindless things which will be able to come near the blackoutbeast without being affected. A party set on defeating the beast will find itself "teleported" again and again until they change their tactics to avoid direct confrontation.

If the team keeps failing to change their tactics, situations will get progressively worse. eventually they will wake up simply with team members missing, and that will likely be the last of it. (or you may quest to find them or their corpse. Perhaps if it comes to this solving that quest will give players enough exposition dialogue to inform them how to tackle the monster)

The Blackoutbeast is a fairly straightforward enemy when it comes to combat, and you would encounter it fairly early in the game.

• Like 4

---