RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

LadyCrimson

TESO beta invites are out. Check your mail. I got mine hehehe. The beta starts this Friday.

Wasn't able to participate in the previous one I was invited to, seems like they don't do second chances ;)

Keep use posted, I'm curious how this one will turn out (though, since it's a MMO, my expectations are rather low ;) )

I'm not allowed to share any information, although truth be told I'm willing to. But I'm pretty sure there's gonna be tons of information out there, movies, screenshots, streams etc. Authors will be banned of course, videos removed, but it won't be difficult to find anyway.

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

W00t W00t??? Does that mean I will be getting my first PC Ubisoft game ever???

Bro, it uses steamworks. Only real advantage is that at least we won't be subjected to the squeals of outrage from people who think steam is the only source of games about having to run multiple clients (instead of, like, buying anywhere else apart from steam where you get one client only), it'll just be the one client they happen to like and don't mind other people being forced to use.

I'd bet it has nothing to do with Ubisoft themselves, more to do with THQ who were original fans of steamworks. If steamworks features had been integrated it would require time and money to identify and excise the infection from the healthy underlying tissue.

• Like 1

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/03/editorial-why-games-should-enter-the-public-domain/

RPS on why games should enter the public domain in 20 years or so.

Not just games. Copyright terms across the board are far too long. I think I read somewhere that the term used to be 30 years, with the option for the original creator (not the current rights holder)to extend it for another 30 year term. I think that's fair.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I generally turn to Evil Genius for my DK-esque fill these days.

I enjoy Evil Genius quite a lot, though sometimes it just becomes stupid, when agens are ona  rampage.

Once on island 2 that is less of a problem. You can set up defenses so deadly, you can be on permanent yellow alert with monsters rampaging around killing any agent who sets foot near your lair.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

W00t W00t??? Does that mean I will be getting my first PC Ubisoft game ever???

Bro, it uses steamworks. Only real advantage is that at least we won't be subjected to the squeals of outrage from people who think steam is the only source of games about having to run multiple clients (instead of, like, buying anywhere else apart from steam where you get one client only), it'll just be the one client they happen to like and don't mind other people being forced to use.

I'd bet it has nothing to do with Ubisoft themselves, more to do with THQ who were original fans of steamworks. If steamworks features had been integrated it would require time and money to identify and excise the infection from the healthy underlying tissue.

You made me sad panda now :( No South Park for me then :(

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-05-dungeon-keeper-review

New Dungeon Keeper game sucks apparently.

Does make me want to replay DK2 (or play DK for that matter, never have)

Phew, I thought you were talking about the *real* new Dungeon Keeper game for a while, not that pathetic offshoot. Glad I'm wrong and the review is about the pathetic offshoot. (yeah yeah, technically it's probably the other way around, gameplay wise that's how it is though)

I am, of course, referring to War of the Overworld which aims to replicate the Dungeon Keeper (mostly 1, with the non-sucky bits of 2 added) gameplay. They lost the rights to the Dungeon Keeper franchise due to that pathetic excuse of a game above or this would have been Dungeon Keeper 3.

Oh yes, website's here. Game is in Early Access on Steam currently and it's starting to shape up. Still seriously alpha though but it's stable and it actually feels like Dungeon Keeper (though the voice acting is sort of "meh" imho, hopefully that's just temporary)

TESO beta invites are out. Check your mail. I got mine hehehe. The beta starts this Friday.

Wasn't able to participate in the previous one I was invited to, seems like they don't do second chances ;)

Keep use posted, I'm curious how this one will turn out (though, since it's a MMO, my expectations are rather low ;) )

If you already gotten invites, aren't they still valid. Only people who didn't get invited previously got new ones this time around I think. The mail I got says my account and characters are still there.

Not that I'll be able to participate this time due to being out of town, but still.

Just got an e-mail, seems the previous invite is indeed still valid. Nice! Bethesda is imho good at making worlds that are fun to explore, if they at least carried that bit over to TESO it might be worth picking up.

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to take a peek.

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

I am, of course, referring to War of the Overworld which aims to replicate the Dungeon Keeper (mostly 1, with the non-sucky bits of 2 added) gameplay. They lost the rights to the Dungeon Keeper franchise due to that pathetic excuse of a game above or this would have been Dungeon Keeper 3.

What? They never had the rights in the first place. It was a fan-made sequel until they decided to become legit developers and had to drop the franchise. It has nothing to do with Dungeon Keeper Mobile - this development happened before Dungeon Keeper Mobile was even announced.

Anyway, as an early access backer I'm still on the fence on War for the Overworld. All it's done successfully so far is make me want to play the older Dungeon Keeper games instead. It looks the part, but it so far doesn't have any of the charm - they are playing it far too straight.

Ubisoft's utterly gorgeous metroidvania-ish, JRPG-ish Child of Light has a release date (April 30th) and a price ($15), and a release trailer:

It's coming to a smorgasbord of platforms too.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

If all the F2P DK game was made to be a scam to sell more copies of DK 1 & 2 on GOG, they've seemed to have succeeded. They are currently GOG's recent top 2 sellers.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Maybe is because I'm exclusive to this board, but does it seem to anyone else that there is a lot of RPGs coming up? There certainly been a bit of "RPGzation" on other genres but it doesn't seem to have stopped. Maybe that's just my opinion though.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I think RPGs, or at least RPG elements, offer a degree of personal investment that a lot of other games cannot provide, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a continuing trend in adding those elements as I think that personal investment is typically seen as a positive for a lot of gamers.

• Like 2

Maybe is because I'm exclusive to this board, but does it seem to anyone else that there is a lot of RPGs coming up? There certainly been a bit of "RPGzation" on other genres but it doesn't seem to have stopped. Maybe that's just my opinion though.

It's mostly because of the kickstarter.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I think RPGs, or at least RPG elements, offer a degree of personal investment that a lot of other games cannot provide, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a continuing trend in adding those elements as I think that personal investment is typically seen as a positive for a lot of gamers.

I agree but that also means that games have become more involved experiences, even the ones that have a casual aspect to it. COD is a great example of it. I'm starting to think that as games become more developed and people want a more immersed experience all the games in the future will be an RPG hybrid.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Not "game news" so much I suppose, but I'll put it here anyway.

Mamoru Samuragochi admits paying another composer to create his works

:blink:

Apparently he wasn't even deaf (follow-up article):

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-06/japans-beethovennot-even-deaf-ghost-composer/5244282

I hadn't heard about him before, but.. what a douche.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's mostly because of the kickstarter.

Not that I'm very knowledgeable, but that's how it feels to me too. Indie games and their development are getting a lot more attention overall. Which overall is a good thing, even if it means I have to wade through tons of titles I'm not personally interested in. :p

I'll be curious what direction the bigger-budget/AAAAAAA (can never remember how many A's) may go in the next few years. How influenced they may be...if at all, of course.

alan's point has validity too, tho.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

RPG elements have been creeping into other genres for a while now. For instance, in my basketball game I can decide what I want to say in post game press conference, negotiate my contract, talk to the GM, change and upgrade my outfit, earn points to upgrade my stats, etc

I don't know if it exposing players of Madden and CoD to those elements makes them any more likely to buy "real" RPGs (whatever that means) but it does make me wonder

Free games updated 3/4/21

Not that I'm very knowledgeable, but that's how it feels to me too. Indie games and their development are getting a lot more attention overall. Which overall is a good thing, even if it means I have to wade through tons of titles I'm not personally interested in. :p

I'll be curious what direction the bigger-budget/AAAAAAA (can never remember how many A's) may go in the next few years. How influenced they may be...if at all, of course.

alan's point has validity too, tho.

Yeah he has a point, but I think that is more on a long term scale, I was addressing the resent influx of RPGs.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yeah, the recent influx of RPGs is still riding a crowd funding wave, in my opinion.  It's slowed down a bit, somewhat.

Digital Distribution is a big influence too, as it helps enable things like kickstarter and even just indie/smaller projects.

I agree but that also means that games have become more involved experiences, even the ones that have a casual aspect to it. COD is a great example of it. I'm starting to think that as games become more developed and people want a more immersed experience all the games in the future will be an RPG hybrid.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised.  Most games I play I tend to enjoy more if I have a degree of intrinsic customization (aesthetic customization doesn't appeal to me as much).  Not always.  I don't think games that don't include these will die out altogether though, especially in light of my previous comments in this post.  RPGs are the genre I tend to prefer, so for the most part I, personally, don't mind the shift.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

I honestly wouldn't be surprised.  Most games I play I tend to enjoy more if I have a degree of intrinsic customization (aesthetic customization doesn't appeal to me as much).  Not always.  I don't think games that don't include these will die out altogether though, especially in light of my previous comments in this post.  RPGs are the genre I tend to prefer, so for the most part I, personally, don't mind the shift.

I agree with this.  Part of it for me is it makes replaying the game have more of an appeal when I can try different setups for my character.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)