What are you playing now?

Rosbjerg

Scooped up The Secret World.  From everything I've read and heard about the game, the mechanics suck donkey balls, but the writing is great and the setting is interesting.  The tiny bit I played so far seems to confirm this.  It's definitely completely different than any MMO I've played before, which is a very good thing.  I can live with ****ty gameplay if the world is interesting and the writing is good.  Plus this is all conspiracy theory secret society stuff and that is definitely my jam.  You present me with some New World Order secret society stuff and I instantly get all "feed me more, inject it right into my veins".  Add to that Cthulhu Mythos goodness and I'm pretty much full on nerdgasm.  Now I gotta choose, Illuminati, Templars, or Dragon.  Templars are out, too goody two shoes, so that leaves the "we pull the strings, we don't care at what expense" of Illuminati or the "chaos is the only truth" of Dragon.  Decisions decisions.

Actually, Dragon are the goody two shoes. Templars are right gits.

As I said. I'm on "Grim"

But if you are on a different server I might say hello :)

Kinda weird for the group that's all about chaos to be goody two shoes, but you've played the game a lot longer than I have, so you certainly know better.  If we're members of different factions does that mean we have to try to kill each other or can we cooperate?  I'm going to make an Illuminati character.  I've played too many mostly kind-hearted characters lately, time to play a selfish prick interested only in their own power and control and if some people get hurt in the process, oh well, it's a harsh world.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Blackwell is a great series. And I vaguely recall hearing that he's working on another.

Thinking on it, I haven't been playing anything. Which is weird, what am I doing with my time? Oh right, work. I get a few minutes of Radiant Historia in when I can.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm wondering who at Funcom thought it would be a good idea to let someone with severe brain damage design the game control mechanisms, because that's literally the only possible scenario I can come up with as to how they came up with the control scheme for The Secret World.  It's a testament to how good the setting and writing is that I'm still enjoying myself.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

You see now what I meant with "atrocious" :)

Yes.  Yes I do.  I mean I'm starting to get used to the control scheme, but I can't wrap my head around what the thinking behind it was.  It's the retarded kid trying to pound a square peg through a round hole of control schemes.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Tried the The Whispered World, cool game and very funny, but are the puzzles opaque! Need to get some more playtime with CM: Battle for Normandy before the Eastern Front version comes out.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

aaaand now I'm re-installing The Secret World 

Hm.....and now I'm reading up on this MMO. As always, highlight for me is "can be done alone." :p I assume I can buy it outside of Steam, since I don't like using Steam for MMO's.

....I like that it's not medieval fantasy. Not that I don't like such, but something different is always nice. The UI comments kinda scare me tho. I can get used to quirky UI's sometimes, but if it's really unintuitive I find it tends to put me off too much, even if I might like the game otherwise.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The worst thing about the combat is that it is blant on top of everything else. And then the animations and effects are blant as well, robbing you of the excuse "I may just be hitting 1,2,1,3... but at least it looks cool". And the UI is so blant you get bored halfway reading through the blant abilities.

In some games I have trouble choosing abilities because I can't decide what I want and what I need. In TSW I just get bored halfway through.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

blant blant blant blant

What exactly is the definition of "blant"? I tried Googling it, but all I got were crappy urban dictionary entries that seemed to have nothing to do with the subject at hand, as well as one entry that basically equated to "bland".

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

blant blant blant blant

What exactly is the definition of "blant"? I tried Googling it, but all I got were crappy urban dictionary entries that seemed to have nothing to do with the subject at hand, as well as one entry that basically equated to "bland".

rofl.gif

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

blant blant blant blant

It is me trying to type "bland" at 4:45AM :)

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

blant blant blant blant

It is me trying to type "bland" at 4:45AM :)

:lol: it happens to the best of us

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The Secret World is one of those games I wanted to love desperately... But just couldn't. The combat was boring and horribly animated, the character models were off-puttingly bad, and the general questing became very tedious. The story/lore and investigations kept me playing, but the negative quickly overpowered the positive. I made it to the second map(I recall a demon-infested motel or something?), and I quit. There were just too many "kill x monster" quests for me. Plus, those stealth missions are awful!

If TSW had been a single-player RPG with better systems and art direction, I'd be all over it.

• Like 1

If TSW had been a single-player RPG with better systems and art direction, I'd be all over it.

I would have loved TSW as an episodic single player RPG.

Episode 1: Kingsmouth. Episode 2: whatever (didn't get that far :p )

You could have a bit of choices carry over thing going a la Telltale.

Then again that is my same thought about Old Republic. If they had, instead of a MMO, turned it into episodic rpgs, each class story line its own little game and the whole franchise telling the story of that era, I probably would have bought every one of them.

TSW most definitely does suffer from a case of Kill X Monsters Syndrome, as most MMOs do, and I fully agree that it would have been a lot better as a single player and/or co-op RPG.  The game has good enough voice acting and writing to pull off being a single player game, the MMO aspect of it seems to be holding it back rather than enhancing it in any way.  I haven't engaged in any PvP, but with mechanics this bad, I can't imagine it being in the least bit enjoyable, especially since I'm not a fan of PvP even in games with decent mechanics.

I've gotten to the point where I'm used to the atrocious controls enough that they don't (severely) hinder me, and seem to have settled on a weapon combo of sledgehammer and pistols (start battles with pistols then when enemies close in smash em up).  I'm contemplating switching my ranged weapon to something else, though.  Do assault rifles or some of the magics have longer range than pistols (the range of the pistols is pretty pathetic)?

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Played The Banner Saga the whole weekend. I enjoyed it a lot, the music is phenomenal and creating a fantastic atmosphere. It wasn't exactly the game I was expecting. It's very text heavy and I thought there would be more combat encounters. It's also very linear, which is a little bit disappointing. The last battle is also unbalanced compared to the rest of the game, which I wouldn't mind, if there was a proper failure ending.