Disney buys Lucasfilm

Tale

It's quite likely it was a typo -- Rain or shine, the word of god won't magically change stuff in the game itself, so ultimately. Doesn't really matter but it's still jarring nonetheless. 

What will get people upset is that SW was just about unique in that just about everything (excluding, ironically given what the current press release says about referencing 80's stuff, Marvel's previous comic run replete with giant anthropomorphic rabbits and spandex budgie smuggler wearing pirates) was considered canon unless contradicted by the films and there was no Star Trek or comic like reboot system. Plus, I don't think there's much confidence at all that whatever replaces the current EU will actually be better, despite quite a lot of the current crop being not the highest quality.

• Like 1

What will get people upset is that SW was just about unique in that just about everything (excluding, ironically given what the current press release says about referencing 80's stuff, Marvel's previous comic run replete with giant anthropomorphic rabbits and spandex budgie smuggler wearing pirates) was considered canon unless contradicted by the films and there was no Star Trek or comic like reboot system. Plus, I don't think there's much confidence at all that whatever replaces the current EU will actually be better, despite quite a lot of the current crop being not the highest quality.

Ayup. I have about near zero hopes Disney is going to give us something worthy of the original Trilogy, or even better than the poop we've been treated to the last 15 or so years.

I may tune in if the original cast members have a part, but I also may not... I'll wait and see what the previews look like and for other news. Kasden and the possibility of the original cast members being a part of this is about the only good news I've seen. Everything else about Disney and the Star Wars franchise looks to be poop imo. I'm of the camp (and it's no small camp) that Lucas all sorts of effed up his own creation, then put a poop cherry on top of that effed up cake when he sold it all to Disney.

Disney owning the rights to all things Lucasfilm is near as bad as them owning the rights to almost everything Jim Henson.

Who knows though, Disney may surprise me, but it's hard to be optimistic with Abrams attached to it.

Huh? What has Disney done that hasn't been fantastic lately?

They've absolutely rocked it with Marvel.

They bought Marvel and let Marvel Studios continue doing what they were doing with little to no interference. Disneyvwas obviously not happy with the way Lucasfilm was handling things because there has been a whole lot of things being done differently since the sale. I have faith in Disney though, as I've liked pretty much every film that has come out of the studio that interested me in the last 20 years. Edited by Oerwinde
  • Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Ayup. I have about near zero hopes Disney is going to give us something worthy of the original Trilogy, or even better than the poop we've been treated to the last 15 or so years.

I may tune in if the original cast members have a part, but I also may not... I'll wait and see what the previews look like and for other news. Kasden and the possibility of the original cast members being a part of this is about the only good news I've seen. Everything else about Disney and the Star Wars franchise looks to be poop imo. I'm of the camp (and it's no small camp) that Lucas all sorts of effed up his own creation, then put a poop cherry on top of that effed up cake when he sold it all to Disney.

Disney owning the rights to all things Lucasfilm is near as bad as them owning the rights to almost everything Jim Henson.

Who knows though, Disney may surprise me, but it's hard to be optimistic with Abrams attached to it.

So, in other words, your indignation sparks out of material worth instead of actual facts?

• Like 1

Huh?  What has Disney done that hasn't been fantastic lately?  

They've absolutely rocked it with Marvel.

I've never really been a fan of comic books, and I'm not really a fan of comic book movies (there are some exceptions but none of them are the modern marvel movies). That said. I really wouldn't consider the Marvel movies to be Disney movies as they are not produced by Disney Studios. Star Wars VII will be produced under the Disney Studios flag as well as the flag of Lucasfilm, and Abrams company.

As for what have they done that hasn't been fantastic? A lot. It'd be much easier to list what they've done right the last few years. 'Frozen', 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe', and 'Tron: Legacy' are all I'm coming up with that they've produced in the last ten years that I'd say were very good to fantastic movies. Granted, I have yet to see Wall-E or Tangled, which I have been meaning to see as they've been highly recommended to me. But the point is, there's a lot of mediocre and bad in Disney's vault the last few decades. And that said, Star Wars is something special, and something way above mediocre and bad (at least the original trilogy was), Disney does not have a good recent history of putting out films on par with them, nor does Lucasfilm itself, and Abrams studio is the weakest of them all. Do their films make money? Sure. But that doesn't make them amazing films. The Original Trilogy were amazing films that set the bar very high. I'm very doubtful that those behind this film can reach that bar, in fact, there's really very little reason to believe that they will at this point. Kasdan being the only one I've seen associated with the production. Perhaps there will be some more good news in the coming months. Abrams is a giant chunk of bad news though that isn't going away.

As I said, maybe Disney will surprise me, but I'm not holding out much hope that they will.

Huh?  What has Disney done that hasn't been fantastic lately?  

Canceling the Tron series was not nice of them.

But people who aren't happy with Disney taking over Lucas are probably worried that along the retcons, Disney will also retcon Jar Jar :p

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Interesting thing about the new continuity is that they declared everything EU defunct.

Including still ongoing things like Old Republic.

I wonder if EA won't force them to change their mind about that.

The Old Republic/Kotor has always pretty much been it's own thing to people who aren't into the whole expanded universe though hasn't it? And since the whole reason they set the series so far before the films in the first place was so that they could just about do anything and explain it away by saying "It's in the past man, let it go", I don't see how taking it out of canon will rile too many feathers. Then again hardcore SW fans made Jediism an official religion so who knows what that particular group of crazy people are capable of. 

Edited by Serrano

I'm glad.

No more "Is TSLRCM canon", "Is M4-78EP canon", "I need to play female cause canon", "blabla canon", "CANON!"

Well, now nothing is canon. Shut up, and now play the game you were supposed to pay it, like YOU want it... not what some E-writer says you should play when it took a major dump on the game and produced the ****ty Revan resolution that was TOR...

• Like 2

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Disney has committed the crime of making crappy sequels to their Golden-Age classics, and they even bothered dishing out sequels to a not-so-fantastic film, Pirates of the Carribean. I'd call Toy Story 3 to be the exception to the rule which is warranted for all that development it received. They also made a bad spin-off based on an otherwise okay film, mostly held up by Olivia Wilde & Jeff Bridges plus the amazing soundtrack of Daft Punk. 

Outside of Pixar animated film, I'd say their live-aciton-line-up is mostly ****e.

Edited by TheChris92

the notion that there is canon for any sci-fi or fantasy world/universe is inherently wacked. is all made imaginary to begin with and all it has ever taken to complete invalidate fantastic canon is for the license holder to allow for change. heck, even if you obstinately cling to notions o' canon, all that is required for complete upheavel is one jackarse writer to manage to gets time travel worked into a script or story and your beloved canon's foundations is reduced to sand-- anything can be changed with time travel. 

am thinking of the new battlestar galactica tv series. recall the silly "all along the watchtower" music and sudden having new cylons revealed... and some wackiness with tigh's wife being the Big Brain behind the cylon plan? is not as if that were planned from the start o' the series. the "and they have a plan" was a mystery to the writers as much as to viewers. the show's creators were asked 'bout their big reveal and they were surprisingly honest that it just kinda happened organic. they kinda hit a wall with story and didn't know how to advance it. gotta bunch o' sci-fi geeks sitting in a meeting wondering, " so now, where do we go?" somebody suggests something crazy/insane and in a moment o' poor judgement (or perhaps because nobody has anything better) you gets new canon. 

argue over canon is making sense if you thinks you is arguing over the literal Word of God. sure, if you is an atheist, such arguments may strike you as utterly ridiculous, but at least is understandable why peoples would want canon for religious dogma. canon for star wars? *shrug* is like arguing over scooby doo canon. has fans debate how mr. carswell could be the ultimate villain in more than one episode. is... nuts.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am thinking of the new battlestar galactica tv series. recall the silly "all along the watchtower" music and sudden having new cylons revealed... and some wackiness with tigh's wife being the Big Brain behind the cylon plan? is not as if that were planned from the start o' the series. the "and they have a plan" was a mystery to the writers as much as to viewers. the show's creators were asked 'bout their big reveal and they were surprisingly honest that it just kinda happened organic. they kinda hit a wall with story and didn't know how to advance it. gotta bunch o' sci-fi geeks sitting in a meeting wondering, " so now, where do we go?" somebody suggests something crazy/insane and in a moment o' poor judgement (or perhaps because nobody has anything better) you gets new canon. 

Spoiler much?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Something being canon or not has never really effected my ability to enjoy it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah in one of the later series he buys it in a very "unepic" kind of way as much as I recall.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And the publishers referred to it as "killing the family dog" to show how serious the threat was.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.