Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mass Effect Andromeda

well bang OK? Space Jesus Decline Culpa

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4390 posts

Strong shooter mechanics could make me overcome most things. A weak makeaface in the character generator and the terrible animations. Maybe not though, and there is not going to be be as much glorious ME shlock either iif it's going to be so combat intensive. I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Also there's no cover button. Fluid cover... nahh I've never seen that done well, but it's good that they have at least moved out of the cover based shooter trope. 

MountainTiger

MountainTiger

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 58 posts

my immediate impression was that Mass Effect just turned into a zombie horror game.

About half of the first game's quests involved zombies of one kind of another, so really nothing new

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6770 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

The quality of the game will be visible already a long time before any official "full release" (if such a thing will ever happen anyway, as they are currently are just rolling out updates every once in a while).

Squadron 42 on the other hand, that's going to be interesting.

Truth told, the stuff going on with Andromeda now doesn't really surprise me. They didn't really presented a lot of the game before, and that's usually a sign of the publisher trying to hide things.

Oh don't mean that the game will be a gong show, just in terms of people wanting to pounce and tear into it as the release nears.

I still kind of hope Star Citizen is a disaster, but that's just spite for the...special fans it has.

Agiel

Agiel

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 567 posts

my immediate impression was that Mass Effect just turned into a zombie horror game.

About half of the first game's quests involved zombies of one kind of another, so really nothing new

I think that comment was more a reference to how those faces might provoke a "Jesus! F***! Kill it with fire!" reaction in those when first confronting them.

• the_dog_days likes this

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 176 posts

NOT SO MODEL BEHAVIOUR Bioware accused of deliberately making Mass Effect: Andromeda female characters ‘ugly’:

Fans have accused game developer Bioware of making all its female characters “ugly”.  Several have pointed out that the women in Mass Effect: Andromeda appear less attractive than the models they are based on.

But male characters look just as dashing as their real-life inspiration, it appears.

In the game, you can play as a male or female version of the same character, Ryder.

But the Bioware fansite Biofan points out that actress Jayde Rossi, who gave her likeness to the protagonist, looks quite different to her.

On the other hand, model Steven Brewiss looks almost identical.

Edited by ktchong, 20 March 2017 - 04:28 PM.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts

"So the game isn't even out yet but you can already assure us that it's a "bad, poorly made game" and "a new low point for Bioware"?"

It is up to EA/nu BIO to convince us that the game is worth playing and buying. They have failed to do that. It looks awful. PERIOD.

Whether you are convinced by the marketing is a wholly different matter. Looks to me that, for the first time ever, you aren't, and it shows.

The game may be bad alright (mediocre is the vibe I've been getting, personally), but it won't be as bad as the collective circle-jerk makes it out to be, that's simply not possible. It's rather amusing to watch, really. It's as if all these people suddenly forgot the frequently cringe-worthy dialogue of previous ME titles, the Shepard Rape Face meme and the fact that he literally limps his way through the whole of ME2 -- not to mention the really bad bugs and ****ty consolified UI that plagued previous installments.

If I didn't know how the bandwagon mentality works, I'd be tempted to think that it's a directed thing.

But hey, I'm not here to piss in your corn flakes. You want to hate on a game you haven't even played? Have at it.

Well, I guess it's more fun to be negative on a game you never plan to play than to have just a measured or neutral reaction. :p

majestic

majestic

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

NOT SO MODEL BEHAVIOUR Bioware accused of deliberately making Mass Effect: Andromeda female characters ‘ugly’:

Spoiler

Well, now we know where luzi's gotten to.

edit:

Spoilered the videos to make the post more readable.

Edited by majestic, 20 March 2017 - 04:02 PM.

• redneckdevil likes this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6770 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer
Come on now, don't link to the Sun.
  • JerekKruger likes this

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think that comment was more a reference to how those faces might provoke a "Jesus! F***! Kill it with fire!" reaction in those when first confronting them.

She was supposed to be a living, human NPC but she looked like a cheesy zombie.

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 176 posts

Well, the Sun's article does have a point: the female characters in Mass Effect: Andromeda is ugly.

IMO, BioWare seems to be pushing some kind of "ugly (women) acceptance" agenda.  Which is not entirely impossible because feminists and SJW have been pushing the "fat (women) acceptance" agenda for about a decade now.  The "ugly (women) acceptance" is the natural extension of fat acceptance.

Nowadays, BioWare seems to be more concerned with pushing some social justice agenda rather than making good games.

Edited by ktchong, 20 March 2017 - 04:32 PM.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

To be fair, with the exception of guy Ryder (these Ryder jokes practically write themselves and never get old), none of the human faces look good. It's not just the women.

• kirottu, Azdeus, Jozape and 3 others like this

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1326 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, I know I won;t be buying the game. Shooters are not in my alley that much. The entertainment art is supposed to be eye pleasing. Do we get  "ugly" actress for main roles of blockbusters in Hollywood? Fashion magazines? etc?

The whole outlook in Bioware game changed. Even the "male" protagonist model looks like a hipster on a lost trek to his coffee shop...

(and then women cry that there are no real men out there)

Edited by Darkpriest, 20 March 2017 - 10:03 PM.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4976 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

^ I have no intention of playing the story until I can download and play with a Conrad Verner face.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3168 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

One thing that's somewhat disappointing is the music. Don't get me wrong, the music itself is quite decent in itself, however it is very subdued and understated and is very much minor background rather than sweeping space opera exploration.

It doesn't quite have the emotional kick/carry off that the music from the ME trilogy have.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8733 posts

Come on now, don't link to the Sun.

Third page will do.

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1287 posts

One thing that's somewhat disappointing is the music. Don't get me wrong, the music itself is quite decent in itself, however it is very subdued and understated and is very much minor background rather than sweeping space opera exploration.

It doesn't quite have the emotional kick/carry off that the music from the ME trilogy have.

ME3 had some music problems, too - probably owing to the departure of their lead composer, which lead to them recycling tracks from previous games.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2230 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Was on the planet after Eos when I started getting some game integrity tamper error which keeps killing my game. Verifying all the files now and hoping that fixes that.

I've also just got my first quests of gather 20 elf root and 16 coal or whatever.

Spoiler

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3446 posts

I just realized how dumb the Andromeda initiative is; they send millions of beings into a new galaxy that hasn't been recon by a forward team and hope for the best. Is overpopulation such a big deal that they just decided "Sure, lets shoot people to unknown space where we haven't even established a colony."

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 489 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I just realized how dumb the Andromeda initiative is; they send millions of beings into a new galaxy that hasn't been recon by a forward team and hope for the best. Is overpopulation such a big deal that they just decided "Sure, lets shoot people to unknown space where we haven't even established a colony."

That's what I meant when I said that the premise didn't make sense. The initiative makes as much sense as a suicide cult. At one point someone on the Nexus said something about receiving later new colonist and I laughed involuntarily. (First time I laughed at anything in the game.)

ktchong

ktchong

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 176 posts

The best thing about Mass Defect: Androgynous is all the memes and satirical videos that are coming out...

P.S. Mass Defect is currently mediocre 75%-78% at Metacritic.... a BioWare game being hammered by the critics. 

Edited by ktchong, 21 March 2017 - 08:38 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: well bang OK?, Space Jesus, Decline, Culpa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users