RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - DA REAL DEAL

Rosbjerg

Hehe, good ol' Austria/Vienna. Do you remember Software Dschungel?!

's where I bought NWN from, the collector's edition with the cloth map. Boy what a fine disappointment that ended up being, at least until the expansions came out and some really good user created content was available.

The shop's been kaputt for a while now though.

I think the cloth map was also included in the standard edition, unless the CE came with a different one. And the cloth map was indeed a disappointment if I remember right, it was fairly small and flimsy. Still infinitely better than the travesty that was the DOS1 map, of course.

I have a recurring dream of walking into a second hand shop and finding a pristine copy of Fallout 1. Then I wake up and am sad. I do have a battered copy somewhere that I bought on eBay yonks ago, and my FO2 box isn't the original release and has an ugly yellow banner along the side of it. My Arcanum copy is fine, though I don't really remember the contents of it.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

https://www.ea.com/news/an-update-on-the-visceral-star-wars-project

Visceral Studios, of Dead Space fame and working on the Amy Hennig's Star Wars game, has been shut down.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm a big System Shock fan and Dead Space was good enough that I'd have been perfectly happy if it had stayed as System Shock 3.

Dead Space would be okay-ish at being a System Shock game, but only so-so. Good thing we have Prey now! Edited by Fenixp

Visceral Studios, of Dead Space fame and working on the Amy Hennig's Star Wars game, has been shut down.

For the love of God, eff the hell off, EA.

Reading how they're going to "overhaul" the Star Wars game, it sounds like yet again they're going to go for a more Co-op/MP game than the original single player adventure game.

If that ends up being the case -- and that's how it sounds -- I'm so sick of every friggin' game having to be MP.

• Like 4

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm a big System Shock fan and Dead Space was good enough that I'd have been perfectly happy if it had stayed as System Shock 3.

Dead Space would be okay-ish at being a System Shock game, but only so-so. Good thing we have Prey now!

Arkane was actually doing a SS3 for EA as well at one point, it was one of the first projects John Riccitiello killed when he got in as CEO. Haven't played Prey (2017) myself and won't unless it goes steam free so I can't comment on its similarities to System Shock or which I prefer in that regard.

Dead Space however is... very strongly reminiscent of SS2 which is one of my absolute favourites. I'd bet just about anything that they'd read its original design docs since some parts are nearly directly lifted from it- you're even looking for a woman and following her instructions who turns out to be dead and the game's main antagonist. Which was arguably done better than in SS2, as I was sure Polito was dead well before she was found while I wasn't in DS. I don't mind the similarities at all because DS is a very good game in its own right and it's taking its inspiration from a great game which is what a sequel ought to do yet many don't. I also don't mind the dissimilarities since, to be fair, SS2's gameplay tended towards being a smidge janky. I had a list of the similarities (SS2 had proposed zero g/ vacuum sections, hydroponics in SS2 was intended originally to be exactly as DS hydroponics turned out, the cutscene endings are... thematically similar, shall we say; and more but I've forgotten them).

Well, well, well...lookie here: http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

Now if all of that effort and money had went into making a good game, what would have happened I wonder...

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Well, well, well...lookie here: http://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

Now if all of that effort and money had went into making a good game, what would have happened I wonder...

I was just about to post that. Selling the idea that pairing newbies against experts to force them to buy upgrades actually enhances player experience, haha. What a bunch of twats.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I am more worried about the matchmaking system being patented. Suddenly you're unable to make a multiplayer game with matchmaking, because Activision claims you are using their property. Try to defend from that as a small studio.

/edit: Ok, appears the headline tricked me. I still don't like such mechanics to be patentable. Also microtransactions are cancer, but wallet warriors just can't stop it, can they?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Arkane was actually doing a SS3 for EA as well at one point, it was one of the first projects John Riccitiello killed when he got in as CEO. Haven't played Prey (2017) myself and won't unless it goes steam free so I can't comment on its similarities to System Shock or which I prefer in that regard.

It's a lot more similar to SS 1 than SS 2 (not a horror game, much more open. And yes, it has 6 degrees of freedom zero-G sections - didn't know they've had that planned for SS2.) Thematically, it's kinda trying to do its own thing, to... An extent. After all a good chunk of it was penned by Avellone.

And yes, I'm aware of similarities between SS2 and Dead Space - and yes, I actually preferred storyline in Dead Space to that in SS2, as one in DS was a lot more subtle. However - and you could call that a continuing trend from SS1 as SS2 was more linear than the original already - I wasn't a big fan of how linear Dead Space ended up, definitely when compared to the second System Shock game and even more so when compared to the original. To me, exploration and believable locales was a huge draw of System Shock games (and yes, station presented in SS1 felt believable for the time the game was released - doesn't particularly feel that way anymore. Eh.) Prey continues in this tradition with Talos 1 actually feeling like a place to work and live in, Ishimura ... Doesn't particularly and sacrifices quite a lot to become a horror setpiece.

When it comes to linearity and being believable SS2 is an odd game. It's absolutely fantastic at making you want to think it's non linear and believable via its atmosphere and level design; and that's absolutely the most important thing. But, there's actually very little either intra or inter level non linearity, and the ship layout (especially the RIckenbacker; but also things like the 'radiation tubes' in engineering, or having the cargo bays so far from the lift, or having cryo tubes only accessible by ladder) makes little sense if you think about it. Fortunately it's extremely easy not to think about it.

Bioware is dead few years as well. There is almost no one from the original crew.

Because of this ****, I do not buy EA games since 1997. Buying games from EA = mored good studios getting bought and shot...

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

When it comes to linearity and being believable SS2 is an odd game. It's absolutely fantastic at making you want to think it's non linear and believable via its atmosphere and level design;

Well, SS1 was believable because it came out in 93, so having Engineering level, hangar bays, crew quarters and such was enough for it to feel like a real place. Similarly, SS2's level design was an improvement upon that of the original game (in other words, enough to feel believable at the time), but had plenty of issues (lack of logic in some parts of some levels being the least of them TBH) - worked at the time tho. Prey continues this trend rather nicely.

Vermintide 2 revealed:

Fingers crossed for a Shadowdancer career, which is probably as close to my dream Warhammer 40K game where you play as an Eldar Harlequin as I'm going to get.

• Like 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Old as sin meme, but worth posting every time.

some-years-from-now-gee-whiz-where-we-go

Next year if Anthem doesn't do crazy numbers

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Shame about Visceral, Dead Space was a really great game, especially with the "slow" movement (apparently a PC-port bug, but enhanced the experience imho by making you feel more vulnerable and like you were actually wearing a heavy suit).

Was Visceral involved in DS2 and 3, because those were definitely kinda weak atmosphere-wise (only part of these games that made me tense was unsurprisingly the return to the Ishimura in DS2...). Still would've liked to see what the hell they were planning story-wise after that kinda "WTF?" DS3 ending...

As to the Star Wars game, as soon as " other EA studios are brought in to help " you know it's as good as dead. Andromeda had the same bollocks happening, though it did manage to make it to release at least.