What are you playing right now?

I find myself playing around with X-COM more than even Witcher 3. Trying to fight off that distraction though.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It has been a hell of a long time since I did "D&D math". Originally I was just going to specialize my K in two handed swords because there are a few good ones. But although K's get great THAC0 bonuses they only get speed factor bonuses with specialization slots.So I got to looking. Katana's are out. Not enough good ones in the game. But short swords however...With the extra Speed Factor (best for any 1d6 weapon) plus the K's bonuses to THAC0 & damage and dual wielding it comes out like this: Level 15 2H Swords with max damage = 2(10 + 4 + 3) = 34 damage per round. Short Swords dual wielded is  3.5 (6 + 4 + 3) = 45.5 per round. But after 2 rounds the K will have attempted 4 hits with the 2H sword but 7 with the dual wield short swords. Dual wielding smaller weapons s definitely the way to go. And that is not even cheating.

I guess it's important to know what version are you playing, and if you are using any mods.

At level 7, warrior classes get 1/2 extra APR, and another 1/2 at level 13. Specialization, Mastery and High Mastery (2 to 4 pips) give you an extra half APR, so that puts you at 5/2. An off-hand weapon gives you a flat 1 extra APR with the off-hand. Problem is that in vanilla BG2 (but not BG1 or IWD), Grand Mastery only added +1 to damage. In BG2EE, the bonus was restored to what it should be, i.e. an extra attack and +1 damage. This puts a level 13 grand master fighter at 7/2 APR, 9/2 with an off-hand weapon. Not too shabby. Speed factor doesn't affect how many attacks you perform in a round, just how early in the round you get to swing.

If you aren't playing the EE and even if you are not a fan of mods, I would recommend you at least install the Grand Mastery restoration.

Now, you are right. Dual wielding is always superior for two reasons. First and most importantly, it allows you to wield two magical items rather than just one, and outside of Carsomyr, there are no two-handers that are good enough to make up for that. And second, the advantage that a bigger damage die brings to the table, large damage spikes (remember that some greatswords roll D12), is irrelevant in BG because without mods, 1dmg has the same chances of disrupting a spellcaster or causing morale failure than any other amount. It also doesn't help that vanilla two-handed style bonuses are rather laughable, and unless you are Sarevok, there is no Massive Damage.

Whether katanas are good enough to specialize your kensai in also depends on whether you are playing the EEs. I found warhammers and axes to be pretty good choices as well, with a good selection throughout the saga.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

It's EE with no mods. I've never gone start to finish with one PC. I'd like to do that and do it with no resurrection. If a party member dies, sorry about that. Also no dual classing, although I seldom dual class a character.

I've played most of the other kits. I found the Monk to be the most frustrating because until level 13 they are utterly helpless. But I did get a QP kill on Firkraag which was very cool.

The one I like the best was Archer. In any pack of enemies you can half of them cleaned out in the time it takes them to close the distance to you.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Monks suck in BG, because the class was designed with BG2-ToB in mind. They have worse AC and deal less damage than any other melee character, and even less than thieves because they can't backstab. It's an unarmed-focused class that is better off using a weapon until level 10 or so because their fists don't benefit from proficiency/style bonuses. And due to animation limitations, they can't even use quarterstaves.

They had a discussion (before 1.3 IIRC) regarding these problems where they talked about creating an unarmed proficiency to fix some of the issues, as well as other changes (WIS bonus to AC, etc), but ultimately nothing came of it AFAIK. I hope they get around to fixing it at some point, because the current state of the class really warrants some baseline improvements.

Archer dominates in BG1 and some parts of BG2, but later on some enemies were given innate resistance to missile damage because **** you, that's why. And even the best bows in BG2 are nothing to write home about, really.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I have no problem with anybody playing whatever they want - I just didn't care for the "but PnP!" justification, :p.

That was meant to be mostly tongue-in-cheek, hence the sticking out tongue smiley.

Also, sadly, the base classes (including the multi-classes) are, to my understanding, hardcoded, and so there aren't additional base classes or multi-classes. I'd always wanted to trying solo-ing with a Mage/Cleric/Thief, but alas, it's not possible.

Huh...I thought I'd seen a mod to that effect at one time, though that may just have been unrestricted dualing-classing of classes.

Yes, there are some things like that that can be changed - atweaks and TobEx do so, :)

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Trying to continue Witcher 3... again. Maybe I'll finally end up finishing it, but I gotta say that while the story is pretty well formed (not as interesting as Wticher 2 though), the gameplay is a real chore to slog through.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I'm playing SteamWorld Heist.  It's a pretty damn good side-scrolling turn-based tactics game.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Trying to continue Witcher 3... again. Maybe I'll finally end up finishing it, but I gotta say that while the story is pretty well formed (not as interesting as Wticher 2 though), the gameplay is a real chore to slog through.

i'll get back to playing witcher 3 some time next month when i will have gotten me a RX480

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Isn't there limit of max 5 attacks per round in BG? so you can get 5 with 2 weapons and 4 with two handed one?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

What does it tell you about the state of gaming when we always end up back at Baldur's Gate every few years? It's like that old girlfriend you just can't get out of your system and every so often you find yourself back at her place.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Nothing, just says things about you people, really.

Starting up Blood and Wine, forgot how crap my gear is.

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And how awesome we all are.

My usual "ooh, I should install and play it again" is FEAR, though.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Isn't there limit of max 5 attacks per round in BG? so you can get 5 with 2 weapons and 4 with two handed one?

Yes and no. With dual wielding one can reach 5 attacks per round with the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization with the appropriate class and proficiency level but that limit can be overriden with Improved Haste or (Greater) Whirlwind Attack. As a fun excercise imagine what sort of enemies can stand against a Fighter/Mage with Mirror Image and Stoneskin while dual wielding Foebane under Improved Haste.

Kind of bad for the employment rates of clerics. ;)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

And how awesome we all are.

My usual "ooh, I should install and play it again" is FEAR, though.

Used to be the original XCOM and JA2 for me.  The new XCOM has scratched the itch pretty well, and I'm buried in turn based tactical games (although still no JA2.)  

Yes and no. With dual wielding one can reach 5 attacks per round with the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization with the appropriate class and proficiency level but that limit can be overriden with Improved Haste or (Greater) Whirlwind Attack. As a fun excercise imagine what sort of enemies can stand against a Fighter/Mage with Mirror Image and Stoneskin while dual wielding Foebane under Improved Haste.

Kind of bad for the employment rates of clerics. ;)

Outside of (Greater) Whirlwind attack, the most I've seen is 6 APR, which seems to be *another* cap. Neither the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization, nor Belm or (Improved) Haste seem to override the 5 APR cap, but Oil of Speed does, oddly enough. This means that a level 13 Greatsword Grand Master fighter under both Improved Haste and Oil of Speed, with the Gauntlets is capped at 6 APR... just the same as if he were dual-wielding, Belm or otherwise.

I play with Spell Revisions, so it's possible that this version of the spell does no longer overcome the 5 APR cap.

The sort of enemies that can stand up to the F/M in your example are obviously those of mod encounters... such as aVENGER's Chosen of Cyric (ouch). A pity that BD went the stat inflation route with their LoB mode rather than including Stratagems AI or RR encounters. 83hp rats in Candlekeep? Count me out.

I play with Spell Revisions, so it's possible that this version of the spell does no longer overcome the 5 APR cap.

The SR readme lists no changes to Improved Haste (only to Haste) but it might come from somewhere else. With only the base game and ToB installed IH doubles the attack rate in the same way the oil does.

I just noticed that the classic BG versions no longer appear in the GOG shop. Urgh. There go some of the funniest "reviews" ever. :(

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Hm. I started playing GTA V last year but got interrupted by something and never got back into it..  Pondering on whether to load up the old game and see if I remember everything or just restart it completely....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Some of these new armor pieces in Destiny are dumb.  I deconstruct a helmet and get ... a yellow chroma?  What?  Give me my legendary marks, damn it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The sort of enemies that can stand up to the F/M in your example are obviously those of mod encounters... such as aVENGER's Chosen of Cyric (ouch). A pity that BD went the stat inflation route with their LoB mode rather than including Stratagems AI or RR encounters. 83hp rats in Candlekeep? Count me out.

What are those insane HP numbers? Enemies in BG1 with over 500 HP? ...So what, dragons in that mode probably have literally thousands of HP in BG2? :blink:

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

What are those insane HP numbers? Enemies in BG1 with over 500 HP? ...So what, dragons in that mode probably have literally thousands of HP in BG2? :blink:

Yeah, it seems to add tedium rather than challenge. And if I wanted tedium I'd just play PoE.

Anyways I'm planning on jumping into Underrail when I have time.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

What does it tell you about the state of gaming when we always end up back at Baldur's Gate every few years? It's like that old girlfriend you just can't get out of your system and every so often you find yourself back at her place.

I don't know how y'all do it.  The story doesn't exactly change noticeably if you make different choices.  I can never actually get through new play throughs because no matter what type of different character I make, it results in pretty much the same path to the end.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)