What are you playing right now?

"I thought you only play games you hate anyway?"

not my fault there hasn't been a good game made since 1994

Wasn't there that one game with cute girls you really liked?
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Master of Magic, 1994.
Nah Final Fantasy 6 and Earthbound for Super Nintendo :) Edited by redneckdevil

You deny the greatness that was C&C?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Skyrim is one of those that.. the story sucks, the background is kind of interesting, but has a certain oddness to it. But the just rambling and seeing what they have developed and put around (even if it is incredibly shallow) can be somewhat addictive. Part of that "over the next hill" combined with guilty pleasure?

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

There's just something satisfying in the moment to moment of Skyrim like that.

Fallout 4 is the same way. Story's a wash, gameplay is mediocre, leveling system is so very uninspired, there's a few good quests but they are few, and even the loot system is dull. Unless you go grinding legendaries, you'll probably have all you ever plan to equip halfway into the game. Except it also has building stuff, and building stuff is always captivating. And I could spend forever hunting down power armor suits to throw in my house.

• Like 1

I thought Skyrim was just beautiful to look at. My favorite place has to be Valthiem Towers looking over the big waterfall. Yes the characters, dialog, and story were weak. But like all ES games it was saved by mods. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Skyrim had some nice atmosphere and environment, which made the game kinda fun despite it being a horrible rpg. Mods helped too, of course.

Can't say the same about Fallout 4, personally. It's the biggest Bethesda turd since Oblivion, imo and not even power armor can save that.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Agreed. For some reason, I just feel Fallout 4 has none of Skyrim's quirky charm.

Maybe it is because it lacks the weird and paradoxical Elder Scrolls lore, or maybe it is because the post-apocalyptic wasteland is less open than Skyrim, thus feeling smaller and repetitive. Or maybe because of Preston telling you yet another settlement needs babysitting. Or maybe because the setting's (slightly) more down to earth nature makes stumbling upon Sheogorath unlikely.

Who knows? I just didn't like it.

Heard about a quest I missed in Blood and Wine, so one last trip! Geralt and Roach investigations!

I think Skyrim worked for me because all it did was dump the player character into the world, no strings attached: no silly backstory, no contrived motive, no one-note voice acting. You were free to play whatever character you liked. Fallout 4 completely failed because it effectively had a fixed protagonist. i couldn't shake the feeling the whole time I was playing it (for a total of 10-15 hours) that I was playing Bethesda's character, not mine. Fallout 4 might have been a good game if it abandoned all that pretense, and had simply gone "you're a visitor to Boston, have at it".

• Like 4

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

No love for FO4 huh? I haven't bought it yet. On games like that I wait for all the DCs to be released and a "platinum" or "game of the year" version to come out. I did that with Oblivion, Skyrim, and all the Fallouts after 2. I've been reading the reviews and it seems pretty universally acclaimed but the people I know who are really into RPGs don't like it at all or at least believed it's flawed.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

All this Tamriel talk makes me nostalgic. I kinda miss my vampiress lady friend and the adorable dead Draugr ragdoll animations.

Is the Skyrim Remaster confirmed for E3, or ... can't be better than the high-res mod.

All Stop. On Screen.

No love for FO4 huh? 

It's a prime example of wasted potential - still fun, but it's annoying when it's so plain to see just how much more fun and engaging it could've been with some minor tweaks.

• Like 4

Fortune favors the bald.

I think Skyrim worked for me because all it did was dump the player character into the world, no strings attached: no silly backstory, no contrived motive, no one-note voice acting. You were free to play whatever character you liked. Fallout 4 completely failed because it effectively had a fixed protagonist. i couldn't shake the feeling the whole time I was playing it (for a total of 10-15 hours) that I was playing Bethesda's character, not mine. Fallout 4 might have been a good game if it abandoned all that pretense, and had simply gone "you're a visitor to Boston, have at it".

This is precisely how I felt. I played FO4 for a few hours, and it didn't have that aimless adventuring/roaming qualities with a character you've rolled yourself. If you are to have a fixed protagonist, you really need to get it all right, like Arkane Studios did with Dishonored, for instance.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I finished Blood & Wine. A real masterpiece. The only thing preventing me from immediately jumping into another playthrough is the commitment required.

The leveling ruined Witcher for me. It's when the leveling becomes part of the gameplay loop and the reward system that things start to go wrong. The next level is always around the corner, otherwise the player will lose interest. The thing is, leveling alone is not enough to make me want to play on, and it ruins so much in the constant focus on new loot and becoming 1% better every 15 minuites. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

No love for FO4 huh? 

It's a prime example of wasted potential - still fun, but it's annoying when it's so plain to see just how much more fun and engaging it could've been with some minor tweaks.

the sad thing is that your observation applies to about 1/4 of all games we has ever played.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

the sad thing is that your observation applies to about 1/4 of all games we has ever played.

Only 1/4th of the games you have ever played had a lot of wasted potential? Oh my, you have played a very fine selection of games in your life.

Only 1/4th of the games you have ever played had a lot of wasted potential? Oh my, you have played a very fine selection of games in your life.

"it's so plain to see just how much more fun and engaging it could've been with some minor tweaks."

games that we can see marked improvement from minor tweaks?  games we see having displayed "wasted potential" as 'posed to being a waste of our time?  

yeah, 1/4 is 'bout right.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

all this talk, really thinking bout starting up yet again another character in Morrowind.

I put a lot of hours into skyrim but I had to use overhaul mods. The starting character always threw me off and still does in a way but mods fixed that with me.

Fallout 4......yeah the fixed protagonist and the borderlands feel and all the time put into the "minecrafty" parts, I dunno. Just can't really get into it get into it. Hell cant really bring myself to boot it up again, just didn't hit the vibe that all the others one did. Hell fallout 1 & 2 right off the bat gave me the right vibes even though the first time I played them, I hated the combat and too down view. But even before I learn to enjoy and eventually love the flow, the game still oozed atmosphere and story and that vibe. FO4 just doesn't do it for me anymore, feels like Bethesda isn't even trying to do roleplaying anymore and just focus on action exploration games now.

:lol:

Thomas Sowell