RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Well, SONY just put every presentation before it to shame, and I say that as somebody who doesn't particularly care for SONY.  First off, grandiose theater and live orchestra.  Second, and more importantly, they kept the blowhards standing on stage and bombarding us with worthless marketing buzz words to a minimum.  It was basically just a solid hour of game after game after game after game.  The other presenters should take a lesson from them for the future, that's how you do it.  About the only misstep was ending on that boring as **** looking game Days Gone.  I was mildly interested in it initially... then zombies, and my interest level immediately went to zero.  It didn't even look like a particularly interesting zombie game, it looked pretty much as generic as generic gets.  Still, overall the Sony presentation was superb.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

E3 :D was up all night then work, watching Bethesda. Some thoughts (I saw Sony's and Bethesda's press conferences, and skimmed through a recording of Microsoft's):

- Dishonored 2, looks amazing, I loved the first one (and finished it three times) so I'll dig my way into this one as well. Probably going Corvo to continue the trend.

- Skyrim Special Edition, no hype for it, I was hoping for a surprise reveal of Bethesda hiring the Skywind crew and "remastering" Morrowind (Honestly was hoping for either Skyrim Expansion for Elder Scrolls Online or Elder Scrolls VI, but the rumors and confirmation from Bethesda was that they were making a remaster of sorts). Maybe next year. I'll be getting this one for free anyways (If you own the Legendary Edition you'll get the Special Edition).

​- Days Gone looks fantastic, looks like a proper zombie horde game.

​- State of Decay 2 was neat to see, but too soon to say anything about it.

​- Final Fantasy XV I'm looking forward too, still. Was a bit funny too see in the Microsoft live stage demo, a bit cringy and face-palming moments. Why did they pick the titan fight for live demo? xD Noctis was being rekt. Sony's Final Fantasy XV presentation was better, where they were just showing tons of different clips, and the Sony VR experience.

​- I like what Microsoft is doing with Xbox One and Windows 10, might be risky but also a big game changer (Cross-platform play and titles that release on PC also release on Xbox One, great stuff! Even though I'm not an Xbox One player that's a great move and promotes inclusivity).

​- Death Stranding has my interest, because Kojima, and Norman Reedus is a great actor. I wonder what it is? Post-apocalyptic? Questioning our way of life in the modern age? Whales and fish and oil? Destroying the waters? 5 figures in the sky, gods? Devils? The elite? The 5%? I don't know. But it looks like Kojima is making something artistic, what it is we'll probably not learn until next E3, probably.

- No Kingdom Hearts 3. Boo!

​- Resident Evil 7. Woot! And it actually looks intruiging for once?? Time to get a PS4! Well... soon-ish. That's 3 titles now (Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Resident Evil 7).

​- God of War, Norse Mythology. Awesome. Don't know what to say. QTE-fest coming back, but also the powerful and hack-slashing plot of Kratos. I wonder if Kratos is putting down the hatchet and letting his son take over? Could be one of those stories where Kratos dies in the prologue and then "20 years later" type of deals and you get to play as his son. Possibly?

- Horizon Zero Dawn looks awesome too. But that's, what, 5-6 new open world titles? Who has time for that? Feels like I'll have to pick the one most appealing to me and the rest will either disappear into history or into a game library backlog. Hmm.... *peers into wallet* ... maaaaybeeee......

​- Mass Effect: Andromeda. Sweet! Looking forward to actually see something tangible from it. I already played the trilogy so I don't see any reason not to continue the trend.

Edited by Osvir

All new ArmA3 Apex content (except campaign) can be checked out in a new steam beta branch. Also release date is July 11th, which is awesome because it's in my vacation time.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Chris looks really unhealthy :(

Also any idea if the Prey game is cRPG or is it just straight up shooter?

I bet Feargus has added something extra to the water cooler to keep the peasants working hard and MCA is simply going through the withdrawal.

• Like 4

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I am now officially tired of open world.  I'm not suggesting that no more open world games should come out, but not every ****ing game has to be open world.

• Like 6

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Why is Bethesda still pushing TES online. Nobody cares. 

There was that one woman in the audience having orgasms every time it was mentioned tho

laughing-gifs-jack-nicholson.gif

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I am now officially tired of open world.  I'm not suggesting that no more open world games should come out, but not every ****ing game has to be open world.

I never play "real"* open world games, like, ever, so the new Zelda is very intriguing to me...

*Real meaning like Skyrim or Fallout, not like Stalker or Baldur's Gate semi-open world.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Imo the problem with current "open world" games is that they are nothing but a big game world with random foes around every corner and dumb fetch quests that send you over half the map. Except for that, the game world is actually pretty empty.

Let's take The Division for example. If you remove the missions from that game, you'll have a huge empty city in which you can walk around... and randomly shoot some pointless stuff. Sure the graphics are nice and there are some well done ambient animations with civilians, but other than that, the city offers really nothing at all.

Even stuff like GTA 5 is the same, except for a few minigames here and there.

I mean, does anyone boot up such a game and then think "man, I am so damn immersed in this huge city!111" ? For me it's usually... "ok, let's open the map. I am here, quest markers are there... let's go." and then I follow the dotted line on the minimap, usually not even watching what's going on around my player character. (This is how I spend time in Witcher 3. Honestly, at some point I've noticed that I am more focused on following the line on the minimap than anything else)

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

then I follow the dotted line on the minimap, usually not even watching what's going on around my player character.

Sadly, disabling minimap in Witcher 3 proved so much hassle that I re-enabled it again, and it didn't lead to any improvements of the game anyway. But removing compass in Skyrim was the best thing I've done to improve the darn game. Not only it got rid of UI element taking place on my screen, I found that I suddenly started looking around as opposed to following markers for undiscovered locations and as it turns out, Skyrim's open world is really, really well designed and there's just so much stuff which is in no way indicated by the markers. Suddenly I began to find all kinds of cool stuff! And the best part? Apparently, Skyrim's world was designed by smart people who made sure you don't need no unexplored markers at all! Pretty much every significant location is plainly visible in the terrain, either marked by a path, object you see in distance or something along those lines so it's not like you'd even lose out.

Anyway, modern obsession with open worlds is rather tiresome, especially when games like Ass Creed or Dragon Age Inquisition perceive it as a chance to give players a ton of shopping lists to do.

• Like 1

Sandbox games aren't worth getting until huge price drops, and even then, some like Just Cause 3 feel like a rip off at $5. At that point, you have to decide if it's even worth your time to play, and in most cases, the answer is no.

• Like 1