RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Being someone who is very against "colorizing" old movies and likes black and white photography even in the digital age, I have no problem with a monochrome game, if the atmosphere is there to go along with it. But I'd like the monochrome better without the color bits. I understand artistically why this is done at times, but for some reason I never like the result.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

http://games.on.net/2014/04/gray-matter-arrives-on-steam-four-years-after-release/

Ok, the more useful link - http://store.steampowered.com/app/260570/

Gray Matter on Steam, finally.  Though I imagine any of you that would play this, already have.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've been trying to remember the name of that game for some time as I was wondering what had happened with it. Thanks, I liked the monchrome idea and the set up seemed interesting. Betrayer, eh?

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

http://games.on.net/2014/04/gray-matter-arrives-on-steam-four-years-after-release/

Gray Matter on Steam, finally.  Though I imagine any of you that would play this, already have.

Wow, that looks good. I am very interested in any feedback around this game

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I did play it and didn't like it. Which I guess is probably standard for Jan Jensen because I didn't like Gabriel Knight either.

I was particularly put off in that when the two researchers sit down together they begin to talk as if supernatural occurances are scientifically proven to occur and only quacks doubt it. But then nothing about the setting really took advantage of that. So I don't know if the author was trying to worldbuild or if she was being preachy about her belief in ghosts.

I never felt like I had any idea where the story was supposed to be going, either. Or how any of it was supposed to connect, even by the end. It was like just a bunch of stuff that happened and then a twist.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Wow, that looks good. I am very interested in any feedback around this game

It has interesting story that is very much what you can except from Jane Jensen's games. Magic tricks as puzzle solving system is quite fun although when I played game it had some annoying glitches that make some puzzles annoying. I liked quite much of game's visual appearance it has quite nice vibe and it was nice change that game sets in England and features mainly old architect.

• Like 1

I actually bought a boxed copy in Germany of that game.

It has good atmosphere and interesting protagonists, but only one good puzzle (which is optional to boot) and the trademark labyrinth. All the magic tricks are completely telegraphed. Plot is interesting.

Similar game like Still Life has the same price and much more gameplay and variety.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Gray Matter is pretty good point & click, not one of the best examples of the genre, but above average.  As already mentioned, the atmospher and setting are quite good, the puzzles, not so much.

As for Still Life, the first game is good, the second, not so much.  As far as Microids point & clicks, I think Syberia, the first one, is the pinnacle.  It has some rather obtuse puzzles, but the story is really interesting and the atmosphere is amazing.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Draugen - first person horror game from Red Thread

First teaser trailer is there.

Ragnar Tørnquist doing a horror- game? Excellent. I love his writing, particularly his female characters. And I'm a big fan of horror games, specifically  Silent Hill 2 - There hasn't been a great horror game in forever so this will be interesting.

FTL Advanced released on both PC and iPad. MCA had a hand in writing some of the new content.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The new and final Monaco campaign is now available, and promises to be very challenging. Great to see new, free content almost a full year on from its release, and I can only sadly wish there was even more of my GOTY last year.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Shipbreakers is a real Homeworld game now. This is old news, but its one of the few things that keeps me going in this hobby.

I thought gamers who enjoy role playing had it bad, but once I rekindled my interest in RTS games I realized just how bad things are in PC gaming. Yeah, there are more than a few low budget strategy games around and the turn based genre is still shuffling along in its typical manner but the big budget strategy is down to the very few franchises that are sure to sell (Total War, Starcraft).

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Playing FEAR, Dead Space and similar horror games.. Did you ever think to yourself "damn, this is gonna be such a mess to clean when I'm done .. Thank God I don't have to!"

Well now you do.

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Got the mini-Christmas version on Steam back in December. It's bizarrely captivating and enjoyable in a way that's hard to explain. The tie-in for Shadow Warrior one-ups it due to the grumbling comments from the janitor, though. Nothing like picking up a piece of bloody... something and hearing your character mutter "What the hell is that?"

Although, half the time with games like Dead Space and FEAR there isn't a need for the VCD because we do clean it up... with lots and lots of fire.

Edited by TSBasilisk

Dunno if it was mentioned here but the Warhammer 40K MMO third person shooter is still in production. Its called Eternal Crusade and its set for 2015.

I have high hopes for this one. An IP I like coupled with a type of gameplay (reflex based) I can enjoy. Theoretically its single world structure should feature huge battles, and proceduraly generated dungeons to break up the monotony.

The idea is that the all out war between players is brought to a sort of balance by Tyranids attacking the largest players (which are obviously going to be space marines along with the free to play ork boyz)

I hope they include the Imperial Guard as well at some point, I'd love to play as a Stormtrooper.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

This looks nice:

http://childoflight.ubi.com/col/en-us/home/index.aspx

I'm not all that thrilled about the gameplay but the art direction is lovely

The character creator to end all character creators?

It's a Korean MMO, so the game itself will almost certainly not be anywhere near as good as the character creation tool, but, holy sweet mother of butter pecan ice cream what a character creation tool it is!  I might never play the actual game, but I could definitely see myself playing with the character creation tool for many hours.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The character creator to end all character creators?

It's a Korean MMO, so the game itself will almost certainly not be anywhere near as good as the character creation tool, but, holy sweet mother of butter pecan ice cream what a character creation tool it is!  I might never play the actual game, but I could definitely see myself playing with the character creation tool for many hours.

I'd never get out of character creation, I think...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man