what is your worst rpg game ever played?

darthdraken

Most of the replies are perhaps still not the truly bad RPGs. Why? Because the really bad ones you let go off pretty fast when you play them and never return, like Lady Crimson did for Ultima IX (I did the same, btw). I did that with Witcher 2, pretty recently. Even worse, the really big disappointments aren't even played at all (in my case, DA2). I urge you to reconsider and think of RPGs that you simply could not stand. Might & Magic 9, at least I played quite a bit of it. And Legends of Dawn, the first hour felt almost fine, then disaster struck.

One I even did finish, out of completion OCD, and still it may be the worst ever: Daggerdale, with D&D and all (that's why I bought it straight away).

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I don't consider stuff like Diablo/Titan Quest etc. "rpg's"...to me they're a different genre (arpg's), one that I rather like to boot, and I judge them differently. eg, I don't judge them for roleplaying/plot, just action and loot, haha.

So for me, worst rpg that I've personally played, then?

Ultima 9. At the time, there was one thing I liked about it - the 3d graphics (oooo, neato!) and the cheat code that let me fly around in the air in a really funny manner. I zoomed around like that, giggling, quite a bit. Outside of that, it was terrible. Altho to be honest, I only got about half way through it I think.

I can agree with that. So I'd have to change Too Human to Neverwinter Nights' original campaign.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Legends of Dawn is flat out awful.  Yet I played that game for 26 hours and kind of liked it.  It's one of those weird games I somehow enjoyed, all the while being fully aware of how piss poor it was.  Dragon Age 2 was a game I forced myself through (something I regret since I'll never get those hours of my life back) because I desperately wanted to like it.  While I didn't cream my pants over DA:O like a lot of people, I still thought it was a pretty good game, and a solid base was there for BioWare to make a truly fantastic follow up with.  If they just kept a lot of the good work they did with DA:O and took a step forward, we'd have a glorious RPG on our hands.  Instead they took several steps backwards.  There was just enough good in DA2, along with the BioWare name, not yet stained by the Mass Effect 3 Kai Leng and 3 color explosion ending fiasco, to keep stringing me along, desperately hoping it would get better.  And it did get (slightly) better after Act 1, only to get so much worse in Act 3.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I never played M&M9 ... can't remember why. I think the seeming turn away from the original series and then the terrible reviews + probably being wrapped up in some other games at the time. At this point, I can't be bothered. :biggrin:

Most rpg's that I didn't initially like, I didn't actually play enough to be able to form a real judgement  - they were just ones that for some reason didn't capture my interest enough in a few hours and thus I never returned to them.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

...is I the only one who hated Shadows of Undrentide as much as the NeverWorkin'Right OC ??...cuz I thought they was both jus' terrible... :down:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I thought Shadows of Undrentide was about on the same level as the NWN OC.  Not bad, but thoroughly forgettable.  The one thing it had going for it was that it was significantly shorter, which, in the case of an uninteresting campaign, is a plus.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Most of the replies are perhaps still not the truly bad RPGs. Why? Because the really bad ones you let go off pretty fast when you play them and never return, like Lady Crimson did for Ultima IX (I did the same, btw). I did that with Witcher 2, pretty recently. Even worse, the really big disappointments aren't even played at all (in my case, DA2). I urge you to reconsider and think of RPGs that you simply could not stand. Might & Magic 9, at least I played quite a bit of it. And Legends of Dawn, the first hour felt almost fine, then disaster struck.

One I even did finish, out of completion OCD, and still it may be the worst ever: Daggerdale, with D&D and all (that's why I bought it straight away).

Now that is the problem I'm facing, while there are games that had horrible gameplay (PS:T), I can't remember one that I didn't finish because it was too bad. Hmmmm.... I guess maybe Arcanum, but to be honest I was a kid then and didn't really get how to play it (My English wasn't good enough and I didn't get the crafting), so I'm hesitant to mention it. Damn, I guess it's hard to remember the games you quit playing.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I never finished the NWN OC or Undrentide and in both cases I got all the way to the end and yet didn't care about finishing. I rank the series in my top 10 but it's only for Hordes and some of the modules

Nowadays if a game doesn't grab me in the first few hours I just put it aside because I'm not going to waste my time trying to finish something I don't enjoy

Free games updated 3/4/21

Nowadays if a game doesn't grab me in the first few hours I just put it aside because I'm not going to waste my time trying to finish something I don't enjoy

I'm the same way, although in a sense it makes me a little sad, because there were a few past games where I "forced" myself to continue and then ended up liking them quite a bit, so I know I'm missing some of those. Still, most of the time, if it didn't capture me in a few hours, 15 more hours didn't help, so I don't force myself to continue anymore.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Lionheart - I've tried to get into it a few times and it always sucks too much.  The setting is awesome, it bums me out.

When we're counting the type of computer game rpg's (as opposed to jRPGs or console rpgs) Lionheart certainly ranks up there with the dissapointments. Awesome setting, really liked the ideas behind it and I remember discussing it on the old BIS forums and being excited.

And Barcelona - while not perfect - was a fun city. But the actual gameplay was awful and that's what you're stuck with when you run out of Barcelona quests.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The second half was abysmal enough to make me forget the fun I had in the beginning.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

NWN1 should be roughly thrown in a ditch and bayoneted to death.

Hell, there are loads of crap RPGs. But NWN1 is special because of its heritage. It's like Leonardo followed up the Mona Lisa with a finger-painting made from his own bodily emissions.

• Like 4

sonsofgygax.JPG

Dragon Age 2 is probably not the worst RPG I have played, but it was the most bitter disappointment.  That game was akin to BioWare walking up to me, kicking me in the family jewels, then spitting on me as I writhe on the ground.

I had the same feelings when starting NWN1 for the first time, thankfully I never played DA2.

So yes, the worst game for me was the abomination called Neverwinter Nights OC... After spending so much time with Infinity Engine games and loving all of them, It was such big disappointment, I really do not remember any other in my gaming history.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I really should have followed NWN1's development. When it came out I still thought I could transfer my Baldur's Gate character. And after it turned out I couldn't, I was further surprised that I couldn't make my character an assassin.

It only went downhill from there.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I really should have followed NWN1's development. When it came out I still thought I could transfer my Baldur's Gate character. And after it turned out I couldn't, I was further surprised that I couldn't make my character an assassin.

It only went downhill from there.

I followed the whole NWN1 dev cycle and lapped up the hyperbole.

It's the primary reason I loathe Bioware.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Dragon Age 2 is probably not the worst RPG I have played, but it was the most bitter disappointment.  That game was akin to BioWare walking up to me, kicking me in the family jewels, then spitting on me as I writhe on the ground.

That's kind of how I view Mass Effect 3.  Not the worst RPG I've ever played, but because of factors that will not be brought up again, arguably the most bitterly disappointing game I've played.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I followed the whole NWN1 dev cycle and lapped up the hyperbole.

It's the primary reason I loathe Bioware.

I bought NWN1, installed it, wandered around a bit and thought "hmm..." But the computer I had at the time apparently choked on the game because it was often a near slide show+mega loading times or something, so I had to give up trying to play. Yet another game that I never went back to. :lol: