what is your worst rpg game ever played?

darthdraken

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is probably mine. I really enjoyed the BoF games, especially 2 and 3, and DQ was just so terrible in plot, mechanics, and as a departure from the setting, I'm glad I just rented it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dragon Age 2 was very, very bad.

Fallout 3 started really well, but the whole Messiah "plot", if you can deem something that linear a plot, was downright embarrassing.

Mass Effect 2 wasn't bad, but it was such a massive disappointment after Mass Effect.

Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim are all exercises in boredom.

Uhm....

And the winner is: Neverwinter Nights Original Campaign. 

I was really annoyed by Alpha Protocol that got the worst dialogue system ever made in my humble opionion and mouse sensitivity was bad all around and made several things completely undoable, unplayable, impossible and the use of scripts that enabled me to totally bypass everything.. Something that calls itself an Espionage RPG, without having any features supporting that is quite shocking.. Unless something tickles into your mailbox, it's useless. Can't investigate any research by yourself and nothing to spy on. The game was, despite it's massive shortcomings, quite entertaining and frustrating and quite possibly the worst game I ever played, mainly because in some parts it was very good and in others it was bloody horrible. A game that constantly alienates you or just fail to interest you on the other hand, that you will never be fond of, can't really disappoint you in the same way as a game that endears you and then rips you off.

(Signatures: disabled) 

I think Mystic Quest would be up the top of my bad rpgs list, although at the time when I was a kid I enjoyed it enough to see it through to the end. But pulling out my old SNES and going back to it now... ack.

Dragon Age 2. No explanation needed.

Alpha Protocol. Terrible gameplay. A real lost opportunity here.

Mass Effect 3. The most melodramatic sop-fest I've ever played. And then star boy. And after that, self sacrifice. For the colors. Showed BioWare as the laziest developer out there. One can only wonder the palette they'll need for DA3.

Mass Effect 3. The most melodramatic sop-fest I've ever played. And then star boy. And after that, self sacrifice. For the colors. Showed BioWare as the laziest developer out there. One can only wonder the palette they'll need for DA3.

You know, most of you need to play more games if these are your staples.

• Like 3

You know, most of you need to play more games if these are your staples.

I think "worst RPG ever played" for a lot of people translates into "most disappointing RPG ever played."  Which makes sense--the games that are just bad don't stick with you like the games you expected to be great and fell short.

True, Oblivion on it's own was bad... but as sequel to Morrowind it was just THAT much worse. Same for Dragon Age 2.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Final Fantasy X-II, as if it were possible to define any Japanese game a legitimate RPG.

While I share your dislike of FF X-2 (that game, for me, marks the moment where the Final Fantasy series fell off a cliff, quality wise), what exactly makes western RPGs any more "legitimate" than Japanese RPGs?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Final Fantasy X-II, as if it were possible to define any Japanese game a legitimate RPG.

While I share your dislike of FF X-2 (that game, for me, marks the moment where the Final Fantasy series fell off a cliff, quality wise), what exactly makes western RPGs any more "legitimate" than Japanese RPGs?

I have never played a Japanese RPG before  but I'm going to attempt to answer this one. JRPG have no Romance in them....that's what makes them  a pseudo-RPG :-

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have never played a Japanese RPG before  but I'm going to attempt to answer this one. JRPG have no Romance in them....that's what makes them  a pseudo-RPG :-

You apparently don't realize that Final Fantasy X (which X2 is a sequel to) is about Tidus and Yuna's relationship (and to a lesser degree, Wakka and Lulu's) and Final Fantasy X-2 involves Yuna after the events of FFX seperates her and Tidus (which happens shortly after Yuna proclaims her love for Tidus, IIRC).

Or you're trying to be funny. ;)

Anyhow, I enjoyed X-2, so...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You should wear a superhero suit with a giant 'I' on it.

In actuality JRPGs are known to often have romance in them. In fact of all the RPG games I've played it's a couple JRPGs I could mention that do 'romance' right if they do it at all. ie: Final Fantasy VI and VII.

Go find and play those and then Chrono Trigger. The latter being the overall best game of any genre on any platform in my opinion and the opinion of a great many others.

Oblivion was hilariously broken that i couldn't take it seriously. Thanks to mods i made it into my own hiking-adventure instead. Neverwinter Nights 1 was incredibly dull, no other rpg has managed to be more duller than that one to date.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

X-2 was made for the female crowd.

JRPG's are RPG as we knew them 20 years ago. The only thing that changed are the production values. The gameplay is still stuck in the most retarded RPG conventions one can think of (endless grind, separate screen for combat, real turn based gameplay). They shake things up a little from time to time, but, really, the genre is on its last legs.

Its a pity that the gameplay is as a rule padded with 40 hours of terrible combat - because some of the games are spectacular to look at.

And before someone accuses me of talking out of my ass, I played most of the PSX and PS2 era jRPG's. It was okay back then, now its not.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

You apparently don't realize that Final Fantasy X (which X2 is a sequel to) is about Tidus and Yuna's relationship (and to a lesser degree, Wakka and Lulu's) and Final Fantasy X-2 involves Yuna after the events of FFX seperates her and Tidus (which happens shortly after Yuna proclaims her love for Tidus, IIRC).

Or you're trying to be funny. ;)

Anyhow, I enjoyed X-2, so...

I thought it was quite funny considering the topic and the reality :teehee:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

X-2 was made for the female crowd.

JRPG's are RPG as we knew them 20 years ago. The only thing that changed are the production values. The gameplay is still stuck in the most retarded RPG conventions one can think of (endless grind, separate screen for combat, real turn based gameplay). They shake things up a little from time to time, but, really, the genre is on its last legs.

Its a pity that the gameplay is as a rule padded with 40 hours of terrible combat - because some of the games are spectacular to look at.

And before someone accuses me of talking out of my ass, I played most of the PSX and PS2 era jRPG's. It was okay back then, now its not.

Hi Drowsie darling :biggrin:

Where have you been? I meant to say hello earlier but I kept forgetting. Anyway good to see you back on the forums

John Milton 

"JRPG's are RPG as we knew them 20 years ago."

No.  Not really. They have never been RPGs. At least not the standard western type. They've always been the tradtional japanese type. Nothing wrong with that. You make it sound like JRPG were the actual standard or expected style of RPG. Know your history before spouting non facts.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I was stuck using a netbook as my primary PC, seeing as how it can't even get a decent frame rate in Counter Strike there wasn't any point participating in a gaming forum, when I, uhh, don't... game.

I'm still on the netbook but in a few days a new laptop should arrive and I'll finally have something to waste my time properly on.

Its good to see you too Bruce. This place is oddly appealing, its the only forum I still frequent. 

None of the "we forgot to take our medication" Bioware network crowd here, thank god.

• Like 1

"JRPG's are RPG as we knew them 20 years ago."

No.  Not really. They have never been RPGs. At least not the standard western type. They've always been the tradtional japanese type. Nothing wrong with that. You make it sound like JRPG were the actual standard or expected style of RPG. Know your history before spouting non facts.

Well, not sure I'd agree with that unless you want to also argue that, say, the Wizardry series aren't RPG's either given the influence that series had on Japanese RPGs as an example.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Leave Volo alone, he thinks the JRPG is the "traditional japanese type", probably made by the samurai on Mt. Fuji.

Where they got wizards with pointy hats and knights in medieval armor is totally unimportant.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

"ell, not sure I'd agree with that unless you want to also argue that, say, the Wizardry series aren't RPG's either given the influence that series had on Japanese RPGs as an example."

That doesn't even make sense.  Wizardry and Japanese RPGs are different. Yeah, the 'influencs' are what?  Level ups and abilities? Wizardry is a traditional western RPG ala M&M, Ultima, or any DnD game. They are different style of RPG that FF and other JRPGs. Afterall, unlike JRPG, Wizardry isn't focused ion the story.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"ell, not sure I'd agree with that unless you want to also argue that, say, the Wizardry series aren't RPG's either given the influence that series had on Japanese RPGs as an example."

That doesn't even make sense.  Wizardry and Japanese RPGs are different. Yeah, the 'influencs' are what?  Level ups and abilities? Wizardry is a traditional western RPG ala M&M, Ultima, or any DnD game. They are different style of RPG that FF and other JRPGs. Afterall, unlike JRPG, Wizardry isn't focused ion the story.

The early Japanese RPGs are based on either Rogue or Wizardry or games like SSI's Phantasie.

Heck part of the appeal for me early on playing Japanese RPGs like Phantasy Starr is they reminded me of Phantasie, a game I really loved in the early to mid-80s.  All the way to turn-based random battles and being able to see the heroes and monsters attack in turn.