what is your worst rpg game ever played?

darthdraken

...so now alls we needs be Volourn ta show up an' tell us all how great NeverWorkin'Right was an' how wrong we all be... :lol:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Now that MM9's been covered, I want to hear from someone who's willing to admit they bought Descent to Undermountain. As distinct from the worst games I've played, those two I'd say are the two with the worst reputations as I perceive them.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Now that MM9's been covered, I want to hear from someone who's willing to admit they bought Descent to Undermountain. As distinct from the worst games I've played, those two I'd say are the two with the worst reputations as I perceive them.

Are we allowed to speak ill of a Chris Avellone game?  That seems like blasphemy.  :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was a real drag.

As with Neverwinter Nights, I tend to give Oblivion somewhat of a pass because I think of those games with the expansions included.  For NWN, the excellent HotU bails the otherwise ho-hum game out.  In my opinion, Shivering Isles is the best thing Bethesda has ever developed, which is what bails Oblivion out for me.  Also, like with any Bethesda game, you can just ignore the dreadful main campaign, **** around, and create your own wacky adventures, though there is no way around the atrocious level scaling.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's with the properly bad games though that the practicalities of the standalone campaign expansion packs shine through compared to the integrated content (or the halfway house of importable player characters). I don't like that MoTB had any connection whatsoever with the original campaign, and it's actually one reason the only NWN2 module I played for any reasonable length of time was SoZ. Heresy, maybe, but I got through maybe 30% of the OC, 10% through MoTB and 90+% through SoZ.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think, for every golden classic released on the C64 in the early to mid 80's, there was an equal an opposite pile of dire attempts at making crpgs...

Skipping the Commodore Amiga games (same reason as C64, too many to list) and limiting it to PC games only, and only those I put serious effort into trying to like (and excluding hybrids like XCOM), I think NWN1 OC and Witcher 2 takes a shared pole position.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Arguably, NWN1 was saved by the amount of modules and persistent worlds. Then WoW blew that out of the water.

IMO, NWN would have been far more palatable if it allowed for full party control instead of henchmen. As it stands, it plays like an action-RPG without the benefit of action.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Dragon Age 2. The writing was terrible. And not in a B-Movie cult way.

Never played ME3. As I did not enjoy the writing in the previous games of the series, I didn't see a reason why I should play a third game that obviously was not aimed at me.

I had fun with Silver, though trying to market it as an answer to FFVII was so silly, the game should get bonus points for humorous marketing alone.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'm tempted to say Fallout 3, as I never finished it, but I really liked the game world, exploring and finding all the locations was really fun, so I can't bash it. 

the original Baldur's Gate is defo one of the worst RPGs, but only due to low level adventuring, which is very hard to make right in a game like BG. 

Ruins of Myth Drannor was awful, true, but it's a D&D party based dungeon crawler, so I can't hate it too much, since there's too few of those.

in the end I only really hate everything that is Risen, Two Worlds and Dragon Age 2

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was a real drag.

As with Neverwinter Nights, I tend to give Oblivion somewhat of a pass because I think of those games with the expansions included.  For NWN, the excellent HotU bails the otherwise ho-hum game out.  In my opinion, Shivering Isles is the best thing Bethesda has ever developed, which is what bails Oblivion out for me.  Also, like with any Bethesda game, you can just ignore the dreadful main campaign, **** around, and create your own wacky adventures, though there is no way around the atrocious level scaling.

It's weird, because I usually tend to give Dragon Age 2 a pass. I know it sounds crazy! but despite it's mediocre combat, repetitive level design and it's somewhat ugly visuals it made me really think before choosing sides between Templars and Mages, because they each had their good and bad parts. Same thing went for the most the choices I made in the game, I like it when the line between "good" and "bad" fades. This was something that was completely absent in Oblivion. Did you even have any real choices in the game besides choosing your race and class?

The best Bethesda ever developed was The Pitt DLC in my opinion.

Edited by Astiaks
  • Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

NWN had one saving grace; there were at least 150 use made modules that were WAY better than the OC. SoU was ok, HotU was good. So NWN gets one of my votes for the OC only. Heck I thought Adam Millers Shadowlords campaign was worth the price of the game by itself.

My other vote, and I know this won't be popular, goes to KOTOR II. For the first 2/3 of the game it was one of the greatest ever, then it completely fell off a cliff and became one of the worst. It just left you flat during that hurried and nonsensical ending.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have to say that I actually enjoyed Too Human. I thought the storyline was decent and the gameplay was much better than most people described. I actually wish they would port it to the pc so I would at it more since I constantly worry about my xbox dropping dead lol.

• Like 1

I agree, SadExchange. I liked Too Human as well. It has a pretty cool premise, it's got a neat combat system and definitely was better in multiplayer IMHO. It is one of those games that I find gets much more grief than it deserves. The Lawsuit with Epic and the Neogaf debacle didn't help either. Many people put it on a "I hate that game" list based on those 2 incidents.

Many bad mouth it because of Dyack. I actually think Dyack is smarter than people give him credit for, even if he is/was hotheaded. Look at his "One Console Future" arguments and how all next-gen systems have moved to x86 architecture to see the convergence he discusses. It is quite intriguing.

There are definitely people that genuinely dislike Too Human though. It has its flaws for sure. I can't argue that. I would love a PC port, and for them to finish the trilogy planned initially.

I have to say that Oblivion, DA2, and Fable are my choices. Oblivion because of how generic it is after following Morrowind, and the run forward hit baddie and backpedal melee combat.

I have neither the time nor inclination to go over the "why" of Dragon Age 2.

Fable made a whole lot of fuss over a whole lot of generic gameplay and systems.

Neverwinter Nights OC, Fallout 3 and vanilla Oblivion are mine, at least can't remember anything worse right now.

Though I have to say I really did enjoy Oblivion even with it's many flaws after I modded it heavily, removing scaling enemies alone made it so much more fun.

I agree, SadExchange. I liked Too Human as well. It has a pretty cool premise, it's got a neat combat system and definitely was better in multiplayer IMHO. It is one of those games that I find gets much more grief than it deserves. The Lawsuit with Epic and the Neogaf debacle didn't help either. Many people put it on a "I hate that game" list based on those 2 incidents.

Many bad mouth it because of Dyack. I actually think Dyack is smarter than people give him credit for, even if he is/was hotheaded. Look at his "One Console Future" arguments and how all next-gen systems have moved to x86 architecture to see the convergence he discusses. It is quite intriguing.

There are definitely people that genuinely dislike Too Human though. It has its flaws for sure. I can't argue that. I would love a PC port, and for them to finish the trilogy planned initially.

I have to say that Oblivion, DA2, and Fable are my choices. Oblivion because of how generic it is after following Morrowind, and the run forward hit baddie and backpedal melee combat.

I have neither the time nor inclination to go over the "why" of Dragon Age 2.

Fable made a whole lot of fuss over a whole lot of generic gameplay and systems.

Yes about Too Human.  I would agree with people's perception of Dyack.  I enjoyed the combat and the mutilplayer was a good addition to the gameplay style along with the classes.  The loot was an added bonus and loot runs were fun and to me, well balanced as far as difficulty-wise.  I liked the combat controls, which were different from the norm, and much criticized about, which was sad.  I would have really enjoyed seeing the trilogy to the end for sure based off of the initial installment and am disappointed with the lawsuit and how it has pretty much rendered his company useless at this point, it seems.

As far as bad RPGs, Fable would be a good choice.  I stupidly getting putting time into each installment hoping that P.M. would finally deliver on what he promised over what seems a decade ago, but after playing all three, I'm still left wondering who actually programmed the game as compared who had desired design plans.

Oblivion had the worst minigames, dialogue, combat, and levelling system in any RPG I've played, it was also incredibly repetitive, the scaling enemies, but the Assassin's guild and Thieve's guilds quests were good, the Fighter's guild quest was OK, you could be a vampire. Fallout 3 might be one of the worst RPG's I've played, it's hard because I hate that game so much anyway, it has most of the downsides of Oblivion with none of the upsides.

What are the upsides of Oblivion, if I may ask? The exploitable retard AI that made the game fun for all the wrong reasons? I swear, I've had way more fun watching Oblivion Gamer Poop vids than playing the game itself.

For me the worst would be DA2. At least the worst of the ones I've played through and whose memory I haven't repressed for my own protection.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Oblivion has a pretty huge redeeming quality - one of the best modding communities in gaming. If you ignore all the dress up doll crap, there's some really fantastic stuff. I've modded the game so much over the years that I don't even think of it as a bad RPG anymore. I think of it as a great fantasy modding platform. Besides, I think Skyrim is a worse RPG in its vanilla state.

While i'm sure it's far from the worst (i'm pretty careful about avoiding games that are terrible) the Fable series gets my vote for being the most disappointing and failing to live up to its potential.