what is your worst rpg game ever played?

darthdraken

I'd like to find some decent JRPGs to play but I'm usually immediately turned off by the art style and direction. I'm sure I've missed more than a few good games over the years due to my aversion but I'm also sure that I've saved countless hours by never getting pulled into WoW for the same reason

Free games updated 3/4/21

On top of my worst RPG, I would put those that are not even playable (bad controls and things like that).

Thus, it would be : Gods Lands of infinity

Dungeon Gate.

Yes, those games are not even refered anywhere, for good reasons.

Then those that were playable, but I couldn't finish. Too boring :

Planet Alcatraz

Oblivion

After that, games I couldn't finish because I was blocked by some mechanics at some moment and couldn't convince myself to go beyond the difficulty :

Arx Fatalis (don't remeber completly, but there is a moment you need to run in some passage chased by a monster that OS you).

Legend of Grimrock (don't remember which monster)

And finaly, a game I've forced myself to finish but don't know why :

Mass Effect 2

While I share your dislike of FF X-2 (that game, for me, marks the moment where the Final Fantasy series fell off a cliff, quality wise), what exactly makes western RPGs any more "legitimate" than Japanese RPGs?

I'm willing to bet it will boil down to lack of player agency. As someone who wasted their childhood/early teens playing JRPGs in the 16 and 32 bit console eras (I could only really stomach action-oriented games on my elder brother's NES,) I'd say lack of player agency is the primary flaw there. Also, GRINDAN

I would totally consider buying a RPG made by the samurai on Mt. Fuji.

You'll be buying nothing in that case. Fancy landmarks don't grow rice or soy. The romanticized vision of the far east prevalent in the west is comically impractical. Zipangu's vast hoards of gold never existed in the first place. Sado island's nothing more than an obscure historical tourists' spot. The Sanzu river is no use to anyone living.

Edited by AGX-17

Final Fantasy X-II, as if it were possible to define any Japanese game a legitimate RPG.

While I share your dislike of FF X-2 (that game, for me, marks the moment where the Final Fantasy series fell off a cliff, quality wise), what exactly makes western RPGs any more "legitimate" than Japanese RPGs?

I'm willing to bet it will boil down to lack of player agency. As someone who wasted their childhood/early teens playing JRPGs in the 16 and 32 bit console eras (I could only really stomach action-oriented games on my elder brother's NES,) I'd say lack of player agency is the primary flaw there. Also, GRINDAN

AGX-17 is correct. JRPGs almost always permit zero choice. Rarely do you even have a choice as to what class the PC even is, let alone what motivates them or how they act. JRPGs are merely stories where the player is but a passive observer who may get to participate in combat--which itself is often heavily scripted and out of the hands of the player.