The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

Heads up.  The Witcher 3 design documents were stolen and leaked on 4chan and reddit.  According to reports they include massive spoilers on the game, revealing key details about the game's story including plot details and game endings so be forewarned.  

Apparently the documents also include references to a sequel to TW3. 

I'd just be interested in reading them.

Heads up.  The Witcher 3 design documents were stolen and leaked on 4chan and reddit.  According to reports they include massive spoilers on the game, revealing key details about the game's story including plot details and game endings so be forewarned.  

Apparently the documents also include references to a sequel to TW3. 

I'd just be interested in reading them.

Really? You really want to destroy the excitement of the narrative...you are a reasonable person. Why would you want to do this?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

A sequel to Witcher  3 could just as well be a game with a new protagonist which is something they'd actually said they might do. Witcher 3, however, is the last game with Geralt and thank goodness for that. I'd like a game in the Witcher-verse where I get to design, and fill out the blanks of my character, instead of being forced into the role of bellends like Geralt.

• Like 1

I just love how these "[brand name] lore in [small number] minutes" videos are completely unintelligible to anyone whose first language is not english   :rolleyes:

I think they are not difficult to understand to anyone who has practical experience with English, hasn't just learned it in school/course. On another note how did they get that the witchers are warrior-monks  :grin:.

Edited by Lychnidos

I just love how these "[brand name] lore in [small number] minutes" videos are completely unintelligible to anyone whose first language is not english   :rolleyes:

That's an interesting observation because your English on the forums is impeccable yet you battle with the video, but you are also right. The commentator speaks very quickly and this is obviously much harder to understand for a person who is not a native English speaker

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Witcher 3, however, is the last game with Geralt and thank goodness for that. 

amen, brother

I hate CDPR's Geralt so bad (my friend who's read all the novels tells me *that* Geralt is somewhat different) that I don't play the Witcher games solely because of him. And Witcher 3 actually looks like a game I would enjoy, but having to stare at Geralt for dozens of hours... I hope there's a mod that replaces his model at least, down the road

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I dunno, I'm mostly annoyed that he has two swords with two different build trees that are mostly idientical. Steel is more crowd control at higher levels but it's irrelevant since there is no choice in what to use, it's decided by what you are facing. One tree with more choices for both swords, or just one sword - cannon be damned. 

The voice acting is pretty good.Not bothered by being Geralt although I always prefer being able to create my own protagonist.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

A sequel to Witcher  3 could just as well be a game with a new protagonist which is something they'd actually said they might do. Witcher 3, however, is the last game with Geralt and thank goodness for that. I'd like a game in the Witcher-verse where I get to design, and fill out the blanks of my character, instead of being forced into the role of bellends like Geralt.

I'm of two minds when it comes to defined characters versus self made ones: On the one hand pre defined characters such as Geralt have an existing personality and far more depth, we know that he is a noirish stoic individual that could step right out of a Chandler or Hammett novel, and we usually know his responses and what are reasonable choices to make on his behalf. Thus the narrative can be tailored to him and appear far more personal and impactful. However the player may not like the character as Messr's 92 and X attest, and maybe want more of their own preferable personality or traits stamped upon them. Or they may not want to play certain demographics, such as a mutated and reviled ugly freak, a male, a caucasian, a heterosexual or what have you. They may simply not like his voice actor.

On the other hand there are games like Skyrim where one can create almost any character, dress them how they wish, create any backstory they wish and build a head cannon for that individual. However most of this is never acknowledged in the game, and could be done without the game even existing. Also ocassionally the story goes in a direction that your character would simply never explore, and that is when a dissonant feeling of "BUT THOU MUST" arises, and control of the character and game is taken out of your hands for the sake of the narrative and the developers story. This is especially true if a writer does not understand believable human motivations and their writing struggles to grasp basic logic or maintain internal consistency.

A happy medium ground for me would be something like Torment, where one can create and mold the Nameless One as one wishes, but there are certain personal fundamentals that one cannot change. Add to this recognition of the physical side of the character, such as Omen Deng displays in Alpha Protocol when first meeting Mr Thornton, and you begin to get a game that has a narrative and a clear goal, but is substantially influenced by the protagonists choices and approach.

All told the characters i've really liked have by and large been pre-defined, such as Geralt, the Avatar of Britannia, the characters of Betrayal at Krondor, the Exile, Michael Thornton etcetera. Usually the characters i've created in games have been a touch unacknowledged, had no real personality, and were not half as fleshed out as the companions. When i've finished the game or faced a choice and wondered what my character would do, i've often been stumped as they're just too nebulous and haven't really had a chance to define themselves, or are offered choices that are simply not logical, attractive or conisistent with their personality. This is especially true in save the world, get the mcguffin or deus ex machina plots, while deeply personal stories are naturally much better.

I suppose one could offer choices that attracted the majority of players, whom are usually depressingly unimaginative, and create the usual prototype of a human male or female (interchangable really,) with a beautiful physical model, whom is a bad arse and yet cares deeply for their family and will react violently if they are threatened, whom uses the childish "wit" that is called snarky, is always politically correct, chaotic good and is dressed in impractical spiky armour with massively oversized weapons. However this will leech originality and any kind of individuality from the game and punish anybody whom wishes to make a more distinctive, realistic or unusual character.

It's a rather labyrinthine business to be sure.

• Like 5

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

All told the characters i've really liked have by and large been pre-defined, such as Geralt, the Avatar of Britannia, the characters of Betrayal at Krondor, the Exile, Michael Thornton etcetera. 

Yeah, I've always been nonplussed by the distinct lack of roles to play in CRPGs.

I mean, in tabletop, your character usually comes with pages of backstory and a pre-defined personality, and your choice in both categories might be constrained by what the GM thinks would match best her intended story. I think a fixed personality/backstory to which the game actually reacts is much more compelling than having the freedom to make up whatever as long as you're content with it being ignored.

• Like 2

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

On the other hand there are games like Skyrim where one can create almost any character, dress them how they wish, create any backstory they wish and build a head cannon for that individual. However most of this is never acknowledged in the game, and could be done without the game even existing.

that's my favorite part actually. I don't need the game to acknowledge my character's background, I don't need the story to be personal. I hate that in games 

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I hate CDPR's Geralt so bad (my friend who's read all the novels tells me *that* Geralt is somewhat different) that I don't play the Witcher games solely because of him. And Witcher 3 actually looks like a game I would enjoy, but having to stare at Geralt for dozens of hours... I hope there's a mod that replaces his model at least, down the road

So Geralt just needs to be better looking then ? :p

In the games he seems to be a lot more jaded than he is in the books that I've read. It would be nice to modify his personality a bit more.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

In the games he seems to be a lot more jaded than he is in the books that I've read. It would be nice to modify his personality a bit more.

Well, between the books and the games he's been killed by an angry mob, that's bound to have an impact on his personality :p

• Like 3

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

On the other hand there are games like Skyrim where one can create almost any character, dress them how they wish, create any backstory they wish and build a head cannon for that individual. However most of this is never acknowledged in the game, and could be done without the game even existing.

that's my favorite part actually. I don't need the game to acknowledge my character's background, I don't need the story to be personal. I hate that in games 

That's a valid choice but the Witcher's really not the game for you then Sorophx, like the books it's a very personal and specific experience, i'm afraid there's really no avoiding that. You play Geralt, see through his eyes and approach situations from his perspective. There are many other players, situations and political groups to flesh out the world but they play second fiddle to Geralt and his personal experiences and whichever philosophy he chooses to embrace.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm of two minds when it comes to defined characters versus self made ones: On the one hand pre defined characters such as Geralt have an existing personality and far more depth, we know that he is a noirish stoic individual that could step right out of a Chandler or Hammett novel, and we usually know his responses and what are reasonable choices to make on his behalf. Thus the narrative can be tailored to him and appear far more personal and impactful. However the player may not like the character as Messr's 92 and X attest, and maybe want more of their own preferable personality or traits stamped upon them. Or they may not want to play certain demographics, such as a mutated and reviled ugly freak, a male, a caucasian, a heterosexual or what have you. They may simply not like his voice actor.

On the other hand there are games like Skyrim where one can create almost any character, dress them how they wish, create any backstory they wish and build a head cannon for that individual. However most of this is never acknowledged in the game, and could be done without the game even existing. Also ocassionally the story goes in a direction that your character would simply never explore, and that is when a dissonant feeling of "BUT THOU MUST" arises, and control of the character and game is taken out of your hands for the sake of the narrative and the developers story. This is especially true if a writer does not understand believable human motivations and their writing struggles to grasp basic logic or maintain internal consistency.

A happy medium ground for me would be something like Torment, where one can create and mold the Nameless One as one wishes, but there are certain personal fundamentals that one cannot change. Add to this recognition of the physical side of the character, such as Omen Deng displays in Alpha Protocol when first meeting Mr Thornton, and you begin to get a game that has a narrative and a clear goal, but is substantially influenced by the protagonists choices and approach.

All told the characters i've really liked have by and large been pre-defined, such as Geralt, the Avatar of Britannia, the characters of Betrayal at Krondor, the Exile, Michael Thornton etcetera. Usually the characters i've created in games have been a touch unacknowledged, had no real personality, and were not half as fleshed out as the companions. When i've finished the game or faced a choice and wondered what my character would do, i've often been stumped as they're just too nebulous and haven't really had a chance to define themselves, or are offered choices that are simply not logical, attractive or conisistent with their personality. This is especially true in save the world, get the mcguffin or deus ex machina plots, while deeply personal stories are naturally much better.

I suppose one could offer choices that attracted the majority of players, whom are usually depressingly unimaginative, and create the usual prototype of a human male or female (interchangable really,) with a beautiful physical model, whom is a bad arse and yet cares deeply for their family and will react violently if they are threatened, whom uses the childish "wit" that is called snarky, is always politically correct, chaotic good and is dressed in impractical spiky armour with massively oversized weapons. However this will leech originality and any kind of individuality from the game and punish anybody whom wishes to make a more distinctive, realistic or unusual character.

It's a rather labyrinthine business to be sure.

The idea wasn't to diminish the concept of pre-determined protagonists. I play a lot of JRPGs with those anyway. But it was simply to point out that I loathe everything about Geralt of Rivia. That's all.

The Courier in New Vegas had tid bits of backstory added in but aside from that she/he was free reign and not blatantly blank-slated to the point where the character feels a bit hollow and transparent to me. I also enjoy playing The Exile, in KOTOR2, whose character is fleshed out in somewhat similar manner to that of Geralt, and it's up to the player to determine what kind of person this character has become, disregarding the kinda person he/she was.

Edited by TheChris92

I'd like a game in the Witcher-verse where I get to design, and fill out the blanks of my character, instead of being forced into the role of bellends like Geralt.

Lots of words.

The idea wasn't to diminish the concept of pre-determined protagonists. I play a lot of JRPGs with those anyway. But it was simply to point out that I loathe everything about Geralt of Rivia. That's all.

Oh I do apologise I took the first part of your highlighted sentence as the pertinent one, still an interesting point to discuss i'd contest.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

So is anyone here going to watch the movie?

Only if there's more TPM than GoT.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 1 month later...