The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Rosbjerg

So far, I must say that the graphics of Witcher 3 looks much more vibrant and alive than DA:I. In another thread, comparisons to Skyrim abound, and in this case I think W3 has surpassed Bethesda's product by far in that regard. Also, this city is pretty impressive. Whiterun in Skyrim looks like a cruel joke for a city - it's rather a fort with a hamlet inside, but this is perhaps the first true 3D city (with flat set pieces along the edges? And will we really be able to enter all those houses and visit all those floors? Like in Dishonored or something?) in a first-person-view CRPG ever.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I somewhat doubt that, not only is it disrespectful for the player, but the save import from the first game acknowledges a similar large characters (in this case Adda and Siegfried's) death or survival.

On the other hand, even if you chose Shani in TW1 you still got Triss at the beginning of TW2. Which treatment Letho gets probably depends a lot on what his role is in the story and how peripheral or essential it is.

• Like 1

Nice, Malc I imagine you will have Geralt spending loads of time in the brothel district ? :sweat:

I spend enough on whores as is. Can barely afford this game.

Impressive city, at least in size. In terms of scope, in that how alive it is, I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've seen a similar conversation where the devs stated that the plot came first, and that Geralt's intentions might not play out the way he wished. I assume that means despite the politicing and power plays at Loc Muinne the Northern Kingdoms are overtaken by events, for instance Anais may take the throne of Temeria, but in reality half the country is gone before any effective opposition can be raised, rendering that choice somewhat moot due to unexpected events. With a solid event such as Letho's disembowelment however, there isn't much room for perspective in my opinion, hopefully anyway.

The one I remember was a fairly straightforward one about dropping cross-game c&c when they felt it necessary, including who's dead or alive. I'll try to find it, since I hope it's nit a figment of my imagination.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I really don't care about choices being taken over or not. Actually, I probably prefer if they aren't taken over. This "import yer savegame from the older games" thingy makes me always think about Mass Effect and how silly the "consequences" had been done. They could have scrapped all that stuff and I wouldn't have felt like anything is missing. And truth is, you probably can't do much more than what was done in Mass Effect, simply due to development time and money. Same reason why The Walking Dead games only offer a truckton of "fake-choices" from game-to-game and not much else.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I somewhat doubt that, not only is it disrespectful for the player, but the save import from the first game acknowledges a similar large characters (in this case Adda and Siegfried's) death or survival.

On the other hand, even if you chose Shani in TW1 you still got Triss at the beginning of TW2. Which treatment Letho gets probably depends a lot on what his role is in the story and how peripheral or essential it is.

True but there was really no mileage in Shani and Geralt's relationship, whereas Triss had been a on-off friend and lover for a very long time, whom was still intent on using her wiles to snare the Witcher, and saw nothing wrong with manipulating his misplaced feelings for Yennefer. Geralt really stood no chance in that situation, and may as hinted at by the Roses of Rememberance situation, been subtly manipulated by Triss' glamours. I found that to be quite logical really, especially as I would never have given a Source to an untrained medic in the first place.

I would still however state that the situation is not the same, a well explained change in affection is a lot different from being dead and then being ressurected for plot purposes, which is basically telling the player their choices do not matter. A silly thing to do in my eyes, when the Witcher games are built on choice and invalidating that simply makes a player doubt that any of his choices will matter. Such a situation would sour the whole game for me, if not the series, so I certainly hope they do not ride roughshod over our playthroughs.

After all i'm playing the game and making the choices not watching a movie.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If you could do that thing in Skyrim, you might be able to. Part of that open world thing they talked about.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

True but there was really no mileage in Shani and Geralt's relationship, whereas Triss had been a on-off friend and lover for a very long time, whom was still intent on using her wiles to snare the Witcher, and saw nothing wrong with manipulating his misplaced feelings for Yennefer. Geralt really stood no chance in that situation, and may as hinted at by the Roses of Rememberance situation, been subtly manipulated by Triss' glamours. I found that to be quite logical really, especially as I would never have given a Source to an untrained medic in the first place.

I generally agree that Triss makes more sense as a love interest from a story point of view, and is essential for the story written for TW2. But, that doesn't change Shani being offered as an alternative in TW1 and then that choice being disregarded in the TW1-2 transition, if they see Letho as being similarly essential (doubtful, but possible) they may decide to ignore the decision there as well, or retcon it. Maybe the Viper School has a 'feign death' ability like Leliana has in Dragon Age...

• Like 1

I really don't care about choices being taken over or not. Actually, I probably prefer if they aren't taken over. This "import yer savegame from the older games" thingy makes me always think about Mass Effect and how silly the "consequences" had been done. They could have scrapped all that stuff and I wouldn't have felt like anything is missing. And truth is, you probably can't do much more than what was done in Mass Effect, simply due to development time and money. Same reason why The Walking Dead games only offer a truckton of "fake-choices" from game-to-game and not much else.

The problem with Mass Effect importing your choices was they either didn't follow through with it, made the choice inconsequential, or just found a way to get around that choice.  The Rachni Queen thing was the biggest example of this.  "Oh, you killed the queen?  Well, err, here's a NEW queen instead because we absolutely need this mission".

I hope CD Project Red aims for something better than that.  Because BioWare dropped the ball big time when it came to "choices mattering" for a lot of the so called big decisions.  Hell, I'm surprised Kaiden didn't show up as a clone or something even if you sacrificed him at Saren's facility.

• Like 4

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yeah, it's a lot of extra work to make choices from previous games, or even earlier parts of the same game, have meaningful consequences.  Then again, CDPR did create an entire alternate chapter 2 in TW2 with some 10-20 hours worth of content, depending on how many side quests you did.  So if anybody is willing to put the work in to create a metric ****ton of additional content that many people will never see, it's them.  Only time will tell for sure.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

...this is perhaps the first true 3D city (with flat set pieces along the edges? And will we really be able to enter all those houses and visit all those floors? Like in Dishonored or something?) in a first-person-view CRPG ever.

Naah, they did this in Daggerfall (and to a certain degree, Arena before that) already. Every building in Daggerfall game was enterable and the cities really were cities (vast and confusing). Also 3D and first person.

• Like 3

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hehe, guys! I stand corrected. I actually played Daggerfall and Arena way back when, but those cities merely annoyed me - that was my only lasting memory. I recall I was more impressed with weather effects and some weird nudist colonies (or rather teeny-weeny bikini-colonies).

daggerfall_city_map.jpg

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I am not much a fan of huge cities, because it usually means maze-like citystreets and I hate navigating through that stuff.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Personally i've always loved getting lost in a metropolis, and gradually becoming used to the layout, so that I am able to navigate without a second thought come the end. When I first emerged from the sewers in Vizima for instance, saw Sigil arching overhead for the first of many times, trudged into Britain from the fields of Paws, or going further back exploring Dun Darach as Cuchulain. I like the sense of adventure and the sheer scale dwarfing you, such inherent possibility.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Was this posted already?

There's some new gameplay stuff at the beginning. It's not much, but looks p.cool, imo. Though, I am sure you can create similar looking enviroments already with the Witcher 2 RedKit, if you are skilled with shaders and environmental lightning.

• Like 4

Witcher 3 has naked Ewoks

witcher3.jpg

They're attacking Vesemir, hence they're dead naked Ewoks.

Tea for the teapot!