RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Is there any requirement that The Division will require you to play with other people?

Its unclear, to be honest. Most of what I've read about the early info on THE DIVISION actually describe it as an MMO with opponents being other players who, in groups, are looking for the same resources as your group.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Is there any requirement that The Division will require you to play with other people?

Its unclear, to be honest. Most of what I've read about the early info on THE DIVISION actually describe it as an MMO with opponents being other players who, in groups, are looking for the same resources as your group.

I have to say I haven't played an MMO for years but someone at my work showed me the demo and it looks amazing. We should consider getting a group together on these forums for those interested?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Can anyone recommend a good strategy war game? Im looking for something set in the current real world or in the future. Wargame: Airland Battle looks like a possibility, has anyone here tried it?

I've tried the first one, which is OK (like the 1980s Cold War setting) but for me it's perhaps too macro (lots and lots of teeny units on a very big map) and lacks some character.

Alternatively, I can recommend the Modern Warfare mod for Company of Heroes (the original) which turns the game into modern US versus China. http://www.moddb.com/mods/company-of-heroes-modern-combat

Sadly it has no campaign, only MP or skirmish but it's very professionally done and the units are a lot of fun to play.

Apache.jpg

sonsofgygax.JPG

Look into World of Conflict as well, then. Desert Storm era equipment for the most part.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Seems like it has been constant mis-management of their license by the D&D owners. They had the opportunity to own the CRPG market and reap in significant rewards. Instead they've botched it, time after time. As a result, game developers have steered away and developed their own IP, which now repeatedly tromps the D&D CRPG market.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

^ D&D is cursed. It's like a minefield full of golden eggs.

Atari just turned out to be a very bad partner for it in the long term.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It does say something about Hasbro/ WOTC that they've picked Interplay and Atari as their past partners. While the poor performance of D&D computer games recently is Atari's fault in a direct sense it was Hasbro who gave them the licence, and they haven't done much with it since they got it back in 2011 beyond possibly agreeing to allow the BG remakes (though it appears that Atari still calls the ultimate shots there).

It's difficult to say that a game licence has not been mismanaged when two companies have competing, supposedly exclusive, licences at the same time (Atari/ IPLY) and another entirely separate company is making a third game (POR:RoMD) due to a badly written previous licence- that's almost comically bad.

Seems like it has been constant mis-management of their license by the D&D owners. They had the opportunity to own the CRPG market and reap in significant rewards. Instead they've botched it, time after time. As a result, game developers have steered away and developed their own IP, which now repeatedly tromps the D&D CRPG market.

So I'll never get to play a Dragonlance game ... son of a gully dwarf.  ;(

I won't give up hope. I'll just have to win Powerball and start my own studio. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

So I'll never get to play a Dragonlance game ... son of a gully dwarf.  ;(

I won't give up hope. I'll just have to win Powerball and start my own studio.

Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn, War of the Lance etc. called. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Looks like everyone is ignoring the possibility that Skyrim might have been so successful also because no xXpwnrererXx have been there to spoil their fun...

And a good part of what people enjoy about Dark Souls is the idea he might be there.

People are really just trying to figure out what to do with multiplayer now other than arena combat. Sadly, this won't fix the problem of feature bloat and design by checklist. But hopefully it won't make it worse.

You are right, but Dark/Demons Souls is a completely different playground... Although only time when I was connected to the net when playing Demons Souls was when I was killing the Old Monk... And I bet lot of other players played it only singleplayer too :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Looks like everyone is ignoring the possibility that Skyrim might have been so successful also because no xXpwnrererXx have been there to spoil their fun...

And a good part of what people enjoy about Dark Souls is the idea he might be there.

People are really just trying to figure out what to do with multiplayer now other than arena combat. Sadly, this won't fix the problem of feature bloat and design by checklist. But hopefully it won't make it worse.

You are right, but Dark/Demons Souls is a completely different playground... Although only time when I was connected to the net when playing Demons Souls was when I was killing the Old Monk... And I bet lot of other players played it only singleplayer too :p

I played Dark Souls and Demon Souls solo and didn't like either.

I also played Dragon's Dogma solo which was a pain since earning rift crystals was originally tied to sending your pawn out over the internet.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ellie's comment about her armour was good.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bunkers and Badasses? AWESOME!

I so want that game. Frickin' Steam...

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Possible ARG in Half-Life 2. There was an update with localization files, but it ended up turning everyone's game into the Korean language. And there's reports that Breen has been replaced by Kim Jong Un in some capacities.

Steam support's twitter is playing with this, claiming it was an error, but also saying "Prepare for unintended consequences" in Korean.

Edit: The reports about Kim Jong Un seem to be too few, however. So it's probably a bugged update.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Australia protects youngsters from corruption again, despite new R18 rating.

Saints Row IV banned for rewarding alien drug use and, uh, probes of a posterior persuasion.

I don't get the restrictive laws in Oz, the place is like a police state. They have the most poisonous creatures in the earth, cataclysmic storms and wildfires that ravage the land, man-eating sheep and other very dangerous wildlife yet they feel the need to protect there general population from the "horrors of gaming".... :shrugz:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

They just don't want to add "homicidal gamers" to that list; the continent might end up uninhabitable.

:lol:.. okay that must be funniest post of the week :grin:

John Milton 

Looks like my wet dream of Valve purchasing Master of Orion is one step closer...even Blizzard will do. In fact, ANYONE would do. Except for Kalypso, they can't do ****

In other words Star Control and Master of Orion are open for purchase

CYVMzru.png

P.S. Also, I find the fact that MoO franchise cost less than trash like Fatty Bear Birthday totally insulting.

Edited by Cultist

MzpydUh.gif

P.S. Also, I find the fact that MoO franchise cost less than trash like Fatty Bear Birthday totally insulting.

I try to pretend that it's the Math Gran Prix that drives the price up in that bundle :p

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

RCT is up for sale? For the highest amount on that list? Interesting. I loved the first game, and #2 was ok, never tried 3,  wasn't interested when it went big 3D and stuff.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

RCT is up for sale? For the highest amount on that list? Interesting. I loved the first game, and #2 was ok, never tried 3,  wasn't interested when it went big 3D and stuff.

Tempted to buy the franchise?

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).