Dragon Age 2

Pidesco

its plays pretty well, there are lots of other problems with it though. If they keep the basic combat and totally fix the rest of the game, part 3 should be pretty good

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Gotta be honest, the combat is a lot more fun - if a bit more silly - than DA:O, and it definitely has a lot more style to it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Gotta be honest, the combat is a lot more fun - if a bit more silly - than DA:O, and it definitely has a lot more style to it.

Animations for this game are terrible, specially in the conversations. Awkward movements and glitchy specially the elf beside the woman with the werewolves quest.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

About the fast forward button idea, it's not not what I find the most problematic about writers that are not into RPGs yet write for CRPGs.

The main issue for me is not that games don't have anymore interesting gameplay when compared with some ten year old crpgs, some recent games have more intuitive controls and some gameplay ideas that really helpful to enjoy the games, but...

But the main issue is in the writing of many recent games where you don't see anymore the goal to write a rpg story and not a book/movie story.

You can call it non linearity but it encompasses different things, non linearity may be more linked to "sandbox" games.

You can also call it choice & consequences, but c&c is generally more a local concept.

I don't have a proper word for it in mind, but it's the strength of many Obsid crpgs and the good crpgs we like : the way a crpg writer is a rpg writer in goal that wants to give the player more freedom in the way the story is built.

Recent games may have strong stories and good moments, good plots or interesting dialogues, but for me, it's not my story, it's their story. What I want to see is a crpg where the writer restrains him/herself from railroading the player into too many story "key-points".

I think only a good DM or rpg scenario writer knows well that the story is not built before the game is played but during the gameplay and partly by the DM and partly by the players.

Of course, it's very difficult for crpgs where the writing is set in stone when the game is delivered. Yet, some writers like MCA have strong RPG writing experience and know that it's the goal. That's why I like AP besides the gameplay that I didn't like at all.

The problem is trully that without combat, many recent crpgs would feel like movies more that "choose your own adventure" games. And to be honest, the writing in video games is closer to LotR than to Dune : bland, epic and without much interest by itself.

What most of us enjoy in crpgs is a mix between a sandbox game and a story/character driven game : a game that delivers a compelling story and interesting characters but that is not entirelly set in stone from begining to end.

I wish Obsidian released at least 3 games of NV quality a year

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

true, so far it's been their best year. although I didn't really like the "filler-combat" in AP

edit: oh, wiki says the Wheel of Time game's been confirmed o:) how did I miss that... here's to a great 2011-2012 stretch for Obsidian, hoping to see IWD3 next year :shrugz:

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Its funny how they talk of evolving the genre when they apparently made Jade Empire again.

There are two things I should praise however (the attempt, not the outcome), because I remember bitching for them:

1. large city setting

2. personal non-epic story

Oh and they should stop doing God of War type action because they suck at it. Even if they did not suck in the action gameplay department, at best the combat is going to be ridiculed by their console audience who's used to extremely polished and fluid action games with which an RPG can never compete.

OR, at very least ditch the extremely choreographed, ballet like combat in favor of a clever (and exciting) reaction driven system like Rune had.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

It's nothing like JE (which was awesome in its own way). the combat plays just like DA1. *shrug*

I agree. The combat plays like DA:O to me too, except where you could press a button and let it go (not recommended) in DA:O, in DA2 pressing a button and letting it go will cause your PC to attack once and stand around like an idiot (really not recommended).

The choices for Warrior/Rogue/Mage in combat terms feels different and - if I have any complaint about JE it is this - in JE no matter what attack styles you took, your character always played roughly the same in the end (because of the paper/rock/scissors system - every player ended up with a martial style, a weapon style and a magic style hotlinked to switch between because you had to be prepared for enemy immunities and they all the types in a particular style roughly did the same thing, ultimately)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It had a JE vibe to me for some reason and I liked JE a lot but I didn't like that I was getting those vibes from DA2. I really didn't care much for the (mostly unavoidable) combat (and the camera) so I played the game on easy so I could just breeze through it. I really enjoyed the combat from the first game and I know that it's mostly the same for this one but it still puts me off.

I did enjoy the game for the most part but I was hoping for something different and while that isn't the game's fault it really did limit my enjoyment of it.

Free games updated 3/4/21

JE was a better game IMO, DA2 didn't remind me of it in the least. The feel I get from DA2 is an "almost" feel, like I almost feel immersed in the smuggler underworld when I'm playing a Rogue and there are almost no missions that flesh out that world. In that respect BW skipped what could had been a good portion of the story (the year working with the smuggler/mercenaries) and decided to go with a bunch of filler quests in Act 2.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I tried going back to DA Origins, but I found this glitch where all the plants and foliage disappear when the screen resolution gets too wide. This doesn't happen in DA2, therefore I declare it the superior game due to its better multi-display compatibility o:)

Ironically, I'm having this issue with Origins where the top left and top right corners of the screen blink/darken during dialogue after each selection I make. I never had this issue on my old non-HDTV, but it's happening on my new Plasma HDTV.

This doesn't happen with DA2. Therefore, DA2 > DA:O. o:)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i cant play origins anymore because the game has 100 too many fights in it. gets really boring after a while.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Holy hell the PC Market is a ****ing desert.
Even the PC gamers I know pick up console versions for some absurd reason. And by "PC gamers I know," I mean "guys who complain that games are being made for consoles over PC."

Part of the problem, you idiots.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yet people claim thyat DA2 bombed sales wise... LMAO

What does that say about DA1 has sold aboutt he same yet took more than twice as long to make and was probably way more costly?

P.S. Of course, like Ryu mentions, this chart is bogus no matter what. Educated guess is educated guss even if you make your 'article' pretty.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Holy hell the PC Market is a ****ing desert.
Even the PC gamers I know pick up console versions for some absurd reason. And by "PC gamers I know," I mean "guys who complain that games are being made for consoles over PC."

Part of the problem, you idiots.

Part of that would include me then. I didn't buy DA2 for PC though. Most of the time DRM is a turn off, which is why I'll buy console over PC. Sometimes I'll buy PC but find out it has DRM and so buy the console version so I can play it without an install limit or stupidity like that. For me DRM DID kill the PC market.

Yet people claim thyat DA2 bombed sales wise... LMAO

What does that say about DA1 has sold aboutt he same yet took more than twice as long to make and was probably way more costly?

P.S. Of course, like Ryu mentions, this chart is bogus no matter what. Educated guess is educated guss even if you make your 'article' pretty.

That's a pretty good statement. DA1 cost in time and effort compared to DA2 probably was less cost effective now that you mention it in those terms.

The chart isn't that bogus...there are other agencies that you can watch as well...most you pay for. The big mix up I find people have is confusing shipped to retail sales vs. retail sales. Some actually try to twist the numbers to say things they don't.

What will be more telling is how long the price stays high (aka...doesn't fall to the 29.99 price point), how long it stays high on the d/l charts for price and number of d/l's, as well as how it does in comparison to games such as Sims Medieval, or other games that are or will come out.

For example, I imagine with the price point of Starcraft 2 staying high, and it's stock levels...either Blizzard really is blowing it (VERY UNLIKELY) or, despite the DRM schemes it has, it is selling rather well...even though it's only a PC game vs. consoles.