Dragon Age 2

Pidesco

Even advertising dollars were down for DA2 in comparison to DA1. DA1 had tv commericals. I haven't seen one msyelf or even heard about it. Both MEs also had commercials IIRC. DA2 is the first BIO PC/console game (not counting Awakenings or Sonic RPG which is neither) to have a commerical.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yet people claim thyat DA2 bombed sales wise... LMAO

What does that say about DA1 has sold aboutt he same yet took more than twice as long to make and was probably way more costly?

P.S. Of course, like Ryu mentions, this chart is bogus no matter what. Educated guess is educated guss even if you make your 'article' pretty.

Didn't it?

First week is expectedly good for a game with a successful predecessor. Second week, sharp drop.

Sure, it was cheaper to make, so the overall financial situation is a success, but there's the other part of it and that's the fact that the games sales dropped sharply as a clear indicator of lesser appeal/quality.

With such a semi negative reception DA3 will have an uphill battle for sales, and all Bioware products will be affected. Why? Because its a matter of trust. One disappointing product, and the number of "sure buy" customers drops.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

With such a semi negative reception DA3 will have an uphill battle for sales, and all Bioware products will be affected. Why? Because its a matter of trust. One disappointing product, and the number of "sure buy" customers drops.

This is the interesting one. If slippery-slope syndrome kicks in and Bio titles stop being seen as AAA must-buy titles with automatic 90+ previews then it's the beginning of the end.

sonsofgygax.JPG

This is the interesting one. If slippery-slope syndrome kicks in and Bio titles stop being seen as AAA must-buy titles with automatic 90+ previews then it's the beginning of the end.

For me the quality of Bio games has always bounced up and down. While that is my personal opinion, this might be the first time so many customers have been so dissatisfied about a Bio game, so perhaps this might be a big negative turning point. I don't think this will be that moment though. If Mass Effect 3 is as rushed as DA 2, that might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Maybe this was the beginning of th end... I hope not though. They do make great games from time to time.

true, so far it's been their best year. although I didn't really like the "filler-combat" in AP

edit: oh, wiki says the Wheel of Time game's been confirmed :o how did I miss that... here's to a great 2011-2012 stretch for Obsidian, hoping to see IWD3 next year :(

Wait what? Icewind Dale 3?

"Didn't it?

First week is expectedly good for a game with a successful predecessor. Second week, sharp drop.

Sure, it was cheaper to make, so the overall financial situation is a success, but there's the other part of it and that's the fact that the games sales dropped sharply as a clear indicator of lesser appeal/quality."

All games drop after week 1. All it emans the people who wanted the game badly got the game right away. Bottom line, is when things are said and done, DA1 and DA2 will have sold about the same. And, DA2 is almost guaranteed to be a profitable game than DA1. LMAO

It'll sell a minimum of 2mil copies while likely hitting 3mil just like DA1 did.

P.S. Once aagin, the sales chart above is all about fake numbers. It can't be trusted to be accurate.

For me the quality of Bio games has always bounced up and down. While that is my personal opinion, this might be the first time so many customers have been so dissatisfied about a Bio game, so perhaps this might be a big negative turning point. I don't think this will be that moment though. If Mass Effect 3 is as rushed as DA 2, that might be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Maybe this was the beginning of th end... I hope not though. They do make great games from time to time.

Maybe. I know for me ME3 is still an absolute buy. If it's trash though, after how I feel about DA2, I'm probably going to stay away from BW games until a bunch of people say it's pretty stellar.

Edited by greylord

Yes. This is the first "glitch".I predict that ME3 will be successful, but that TOR will fail. I also predict that they'll be in trouble after that because the core BGII gameplay that drives their games has been cut down to the bone - the "Mass Effect" type gameplay is a dead end. It doesn't have the lasting appeal of Blizzard like gameplay, and has nowhere to evolve because of its essential simplicity. Its really nothing new, Bioware has turned RPGs into action adventures with RPG elements, and the only way to go from there is to full action adventure, or back to RPG.

Even that Bio developer said it (when trying to pass DA2 of as something "evolved"), the genre is stagnating, riding the console wave. On the PC they've no idea where to take it further, if at all.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

You can't get gameplay more simple than the Bg series. LMAO

I do love people predicting BIO's doom with false balony. JE was a 'let down' in sales (despite selling in the neighbourhood of 2mil) and I didn't see BIO die out after it.

the MMO won't kill BIO, it'll just mean the Texas MMO division will be closed. It won't effect EA EDM.

Wait what? Icewind Dale 3?

yeah, Feargus mentions it in an interview, there were talks with Atari about the IWD license.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

"I never said it was anything more than my gut feeling. Don't get your panties in a twist over it."

Don't cry little troll. I'm sure one day BIO will be no more and your wishful thinking will come true. Just keep praying to He In The Sky Who Makes Little Troll Wishes Come True and it will come true.

P.S. I have very sexy pink silky panties. And, they're munchables. *yum yum*

Bioware's MMO is going to be a smash hit. It is going to sell like hot pancakes. That is practically guaranteed.

The real question is whether the 3 million+ subscribers it gets will continue to play after the first month.

The real question is whether the 3 million+ subscribers it gets will continue to play after the first month.

That's why I said its going to flop.

It's obviously difficult to predict the staying power of an MMO, but if they have a smart business plan, Volourn is right in saying it will only affect the MMO studio.

I also fail to see how a game in a completely different genre can really ruin Bioware's reputation. I guess if it was a complete disaster, sure, but it looks like a pretty solid game. My only concern is that it will not be fully ready and will be pushed out early , a la Warhammer Online.

That's why I said its going to flop.

It's obviously difficult to predict the staying power of an MMO, but if they have a smart business plan, Volourn is right in saying it will only affect the MMO studio.

I also fail to see how a game in a completely different genre can really ruin Bioware's reputation. I guess if it was a complete disaster, sure, but it looks like a pretty solid game. My only concern is that it will not be fully ready and will be pushed out early , a la Warhammer Online.

Not their reputation with the public in this case, but with the higher ups. Its a huge project and if it flops there's a lot of blame to go around. Besides, remember what EA Louse said. It might not be reliable information but its also not easy to disregard.

logosig2.jpg

"That's why I said its going to flop."

Define 'flop'. if you now to me the following: 'it sells les than WOW', I will fart in your direction 'cause that is silly talk.

P.S. Just finished DA2. 5/10 Final rating. Series over.

I don't think DA2 is that bad. I enjoyed it and I'll probably play it again once or twice. I'll probably tone down the difficulty for the more tedious boss fights though.

Just some personal things I wish for DA3

If Bioware can design better combat encounters other than the wave structure that would great. Instead of waves, set battles where terrain and positioning all play a part. I mean even DAO had long corridors where archers would pelt at you from behind barriers and slow your party down using grease traps. Nothing really similar in DA2.

More build-up towards the ending. The third act felt like me doing a bunch of chores for Meredith and then Orsino then ending sequence!

More non-combat skills integrated into the gameplay would be nice as well. I liked how you could defer to party members that had more experience in certain fields. A good combination of player skills + party member skills to resolve encounters peacefully would be good.

More areas to explore or changes to areas through C&C. I really didn't get the feeling Kirkwall changed according to my choices at all despite what Bioware said. Seemed like the same empty areas again and again.

Expanded inventory and better items. What was the point of all the junk items you find? Equippable companions for armor.

Full iso-camera.

Does anyone think that Bioware managed to pull in the new audience they wanted with DA2? Seems like they just managed to divide their main audience and not pull any new players in. Guess time will tell.

I'm personally afraid DA3 will be streamlined even more. You'll end up controlling just your PC and have party members activate their special abilties through hotkeys. There will be only 3 or 4 weapons that you can equip etc.

Please don't do that Bioware. As much as I enjoyed ME2, DA can be different and great as well.

"That's why I said its going to flop."

Define 'flop'. if you now to me the following: 'it sells les than WOW', I will fart in your direction 'cause that is silly talk.

P.S. Just finished DA2. 5/10 Final rating. Series over.

:(

Ok which one of you hacked into volo's account and posted this?

...does this...does this mean I might take Volo off of ignore?

:: thinks ::

No.

But then you can't read about his sexy pink panties, that are edible.

Thanks for validating my decision. I might fail my SANITY check otherwise.

sonsofgygax.JPG