Dragon Age 2

Pidesco

Here, you can continue discussing a game sequel which increased the quality of the original game just by merit of its own release. Very impressive if you ask me.

Previous topic.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

lol, the problem is, origins still isnt that great either

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Thought I'd launch this by re-posting my last post -

To be fair, her response was in regards to getting more women into gaming; while I disagree with her, her point as I see it was that for women who'd like to play an interactive story like a RPG, the combat mechanics will keep them from connecting with the game/medium.

Y'see, this is where I get all controversial... it's like saying men would dig chick flicks more if you made all the garbage about dating, kissing and dancing optional and threw in a few more zombies / car chases / explosions. That is to say, stop it being a chick flick. Cue lots of angry chick flick fans who want to see Bridget Jones Diary, not Bridget Jones Zombie Apocalypse (which naturally would be cooler).

You can't appeal to everybody. You just freaking well can't. Bio want a game for story fans for action fans for women for men for CRPG addicts for casual console gamers for.... everybody. They are seeking some sort of mythical alchemy of game development, the ambrosia that is the unigame that appeals to everybody.

And this race to the lowest common denominator is what is killing their games and, by a process of mimicry and osmosis, the genre.

*shrug* I may be plebian, but I still enjoy Bioware's games.

But then again I'd probably enjoy a Role Playing Game where there was no combat (instead all the attribute/skills were in other types of skills and experience would be from - say navigating a tricky political situation) if done right.

And I also have to point out that I did disagree with her, ultimately. I think the problem she's trying to address is actually built from a false premise; specifically that every woman who isn't playing games is an untapped game player as well as that every game player - male or female - plays games for the same reasons.

In terms of Dragon Age 2 in general - I've been enjoying it. Even considering the reuse of maps, they did a good job of trying to use the reused maps in ways that didn't make it seem like you were running through the exact same dungeon (using doors to close off/change paths, starting at different points of the map).

Personally - and I'm sure I'll pilloried for this - my impression thus far of Dragon Age 2 is stronger than Dragon Age: Origins (which I confess was rather middling in my opinion until I played with all the additional content/expansions which then made it feel like the game I'd originally expected).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Vince "Vault Dweller" wrote up a review for Dragon Age II: http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=224

Dragon Age 2 is a mediocre and deeply flawed action RPG, rushed out to earn EA a quick buck and betting on Bioware's reputation to pull up the sales. Even though the setting and the events are interesting, and the various options show potential, the overwhelming focus on killing things keeps you from digging into the world and its characters in a satisfying manner, and cripple replayability. Unfortunately, the combat is too repetitive to carry the game on its own. It's bad enough that even the mainstream reporters have noticed, though they are generally quick to make excuses.

In regards to the gameplay/writing thing, I'm of the opinion that games are a specific medium and that writing for them is nothing like writing for theatre/film.

To "write" a good game the author needs to know and enjoy the medium. That's how you get Avellone, Jane Jensen etc.

Otherwise there's a fair chance of a disconnect between what the writer has in mind, and what is possible and finally what is expected of a computer game. A typical example is a badass/tough character (in writing) that's nowhere near as strong/powerful in the actual game mechanics.

A writer like the one that was interviewed in that article that has no real in depth interest in the medium he/she is working with will never create anything above average - at best. And that's exactly how it was. For all the supposed "writing" Dragon Age was nothing more than an extremely typical and generic fantasy adventure of the kind that Tolkien enthusiasts can churn out by the dozen.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Can I just say that, while I was away someone decided that using "awesome" in facetious way repeatedly was the height of snarky wit, and I for one find it annoying?

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

As to the Vault Dweller's review - one thing that I kinda agree and disagree with is the use of magic and everyone failing to notice. It *is* odd, and they kinda hamstrung themselves a bit with it because of how they did the setting but its also not terribly odder than no one batting an eyelash at you walking into their home or place of business and rifling through all of their locked chests if a rogue character (and this is more egregious a fault in other games where you can loot not just chests, but drawers, lockers and other things as if the inhabitants of the world decide to dispose of unwanted goods by dumping them into their cupboard until the next wandering adventure comes along and relieves them of it and saves them the trip to the local store through monster infested swamps to get the one copper the junk is worth).

Probably just me, but I chalk it up to being part of the game mechanics and not the story portion of the game.

Otherwise there are some fair points (although the constant shout outs to things not about the game are frustrating, IMO).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well.. if she wants to create this thing where you skip past combat and gameplay and get the story.. Isn't that just that new-fangled thing..oh .. what is it called... a book. :grin:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well.. if she wants to create this thing where you skip past combat and gameplay and get the story.. Isn't that just that new-fangled thing..oh .. what is it called... a book. :grin:

movies have it too, its a cool feature, no gameplay at all!

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Books don't have interactive sex scenes.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I gather she likes the branching storyline and choice and consequence of RPGs and - short of "Choose Your Own Adventures" that kind of thing is few and far between in the printed page.

I gather that what she thinks would appeal to the currently-not-a-gamer woman would be a hybrid RPG/Point and Click adventure. Something with the ability to customize a character, but where armed conflict wasn't the problem resolution tool of choice.

Edited by Amentep

Neither did the game.. Or did I really miss something in the romance?

In terms of Dragon Age 2 in general - I've been enjoying it. Even considering the reuse of maps, they did a good job of trying to use the reused maps in ways that didn't make it seem like you were running through the exact same dungeon (using doors to close off/change paths, starting at different points of the map).

Personally - and I'm sure I'll pilloried for this - my impression thus far of Dragon Age 2 is stronger than Dragon Age: Origins (which I confess was rather middling in my opinion until I played with all the additional content/expansions which then made it feel like the game I'd originally expected).

Here's one opinion in support, although my initial impression of DA:O was probably better than yours. When the first screenies/trailer/info for DA2 were released I had my doubts, and planned to hold off purchasing the game for awhile. But none of the games I currently owned were grabbing my attention for a replay. Portal 2 is still weeks away, and DNF even longer now, so I decided to buy DA2 after all. I'm glad I did. I've been pleasantly surprised at the different look and feel.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

The deevloper who wants a ';fast forward button' is stupid. plain, and simple. besdies, that's what casual mode is for. L0LZ

As for VD's review.. I agree with some things,a nd disagree with others. SHOCKING, I know!

So.. BOO, having fun trolling and spamming ANOTHER DA2 thread? That is some stubborn spamming and torlling there, my friend. :grin:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

But you all want it, don't deny it!

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So.. BOO, having fun trolling and spamming ANOTHER DA2 thread? That is some stubborn spamming and torlling there, my friend. :grin:

I learned much from you mastah. :bow:

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Nah, I don't spend this much time on stuff I hate. i got tired of bashing AP, for exmaple, in the AP forum a long time ago. It's rather impressive you ain't bored yet trolling and spamming BIO threads.

R00fles!

But you all want it, don't deny it!

A A A A A A A A A A.... YES!

My verdict is that Dragon Age 2 is the least bad fantasy RPG ever released. But its still not very good and the very limited enviroment is cheap. It feels more like DA 1.5 than a full game.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Point and click games used to have an audience.

I believe it used to be called "pixel hunting"

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I think it comes down to the opening was interesting.. that first stage of discovering companions and exploring Kirkwall the first time was good. Then you suddenly run into the same warehouse/cave/mine a dozen times which starts taking the shine of..

Then act 2 has an oomphy catch and a nice buildup (although the fringe areas don't really feel as if they expand your character).

Act 3.. The seams show, and it all falls into a messy heap and leaves you disapointed with what it could have been like.

I guess that makes me curious as to what they're going to do with the franchise following this.

Hoepfully, will make DA3 and it will be the squel to DA and DA2. It will be about equal in quality of the first two but no doubt some will claim it's avstly superior and others will feel it's vastly inferior. The cycle of life continue.

Point and click games used to have an audience.

I believe it used to be called "pixel hunting"

You've got prime examples of pixel hunting right here in DA2 . Unless you hold Tab and R all the time you encounter it a lot.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Nah, I don't spend this much time on stuff I hate. i got tired of bashing AP, for exmaple, in the AP forum a long time ago. It's rather impressive you ain't bored yet trolling and spamming BIO threads.

R00fles!

At some point, the pupil must surpass the master.

logosig2.jpg