Random video game news... Games are Randomly News Worthy

I don't know, I've played at least a handful of Switch games; that's better than the exactly zero from both the PS5 and whatever the name of the current Xbox is. So you tell me, I guess.

On what other game console am I going to hear Princess Daisy scream "WOWIE-ZOWIE!" over and over, anyways?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On 3/4/2024 at 9:50 AM, Keyrock said:

I'm honestly surprised other devs haven't tried to swipe Dragon's Dogma's pawns system. It's a pretty ingenious way to do companions IMHO.

I saw a very recent review where the reviewer showed a bunch of footage of them abusing Throw Blasts (throwable items in your inventory) and then said she couldn't figure out why her pawn would throw items in their inventory. I think it's great how the pawns would learn from not just being borrowed, but also from just watching how the player character and other pawns play. A harpy can pick you up and then just drop you from a height, but you can teach your pawn to grab onto your legs to drag the harpy down by doing this yourself if the pawn gets grabbed. There are dozens are little things like that.

• Like 2

MLB The Show is letting you create female players for the Road to the Show mode. Which, in hindsight, kind of makes you wonder what took so long. I'm sure I'll get some entertainment from dumb people arguing about realism in a video game that lets you beat every MLB record in the books. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

I saw a very recent review where the reviewer showed a bunch of footage of them abusing Throw Blasts (throwable items in your inventory) and then said she couldn't figure out why her pawn would throw items in their inventory. I think it's great how the pawns would learn from not just being borrowed, but also from just watching how the player character and other pawns play. A harpy can pick you up and then just drop you from a height, but you can teach your pawn to grab onto your legs to drag the harpy down by doing this yourself if the pawn gets grabbed. There are dozens are little things like that.

But surely all of this is possible to do with companions without those companions having to be shared with other players.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

But surely all of this is possible to do with companions without those companions having to be shared with other players.

No, you can't. There are too many buffs, debuffs, actions, reactions, weaknesses, and invulnerabilities for an action game where you can control the pawn like Dragon Age. Really, Dragon's Dogma has always been a game you have to play to understand. It's way too in depth to summarize. Back in 1994 Capcom made Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, a side-scrolling beat-'em-up rpg. Dragon's Dogma was a spiritual successor in that it tries to capture DnD in an action game and is the closest anyone has ever come. They'd have to slow the action down, make combat and exploration more 2D rather than 3D to make pawns full blown companions.

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I actually would like to see the system implemented more widely in single-player only RPGs.

Specifically in DD (the saving system was extremely poor, I would add), it was possible to create your own party via Steam Family Sharing and several accounts. Granted, every pawn had to be levelled up separately, and the behaviour respec books provided more reliable results than training.

Spoiler

SDtk6Ea.png

• Thanks 1

Downloading the character creator now...

Edit: I like the character creator. It gets pretty in-depth. It even lets you set your posture.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It looks like there might be some shakedown in the AAA going on currently. WB is discussing going Free to Play and mobil only and leaving console market after enormous flop of Suicide Squad.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/warner-bros-discusses-volatile-aaa-console-games-will-lean-into-free-to-play-and-mobile/1100-6521597/

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I always assumed that MLB The Show was sort of like a talk-show or game-show spinoff based on baseball, as opposed to being a game where you actually play baseball. Huh.

(Think BBC Match of the Day for Premier League football for example)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

14 hours ago, Lexx said:

kind of crazy that Arma 3 is still going, while Reforger barely makes any progress. we stopped playing Arma 3 because no matter what upgrades to our hardware we made, the game would still run rather poorly, showing its age. 

honestly, I expected BIS to go all-in on DayZ as a platform as soon as they released 1.0, but I guess that doesn't make sense to them, which is unfortunate.

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

4 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I always assumed that MLB The Show was sort of like a talk-show or game-show spinoff based on baseball, as opposed to being a game where you actually play baseball. Huh.

(Think BBC Match of the Day for Premier League football for example)

The Show refers to making it to the big leagues. When you are a minor league player and finally get a chance to play at the top level, they say you've been called up to the show. Considering how long players can spend in the minors before sniffing an at-bat, it's a big deal. The game does a good job of recapturing that minor league grind, although some of the previous versions were better at it.  

20 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

The Show refers to making it to the big leagues.

Fair, it's just that I've never heard it talked about like that before. Perhaps not so surprising given almost my entire knowledge of baseball comes from The Naked Gun.

Whenever the annual 10 hour trial of FIFA on EA Play rolls around, I start a career mode as a lower league player and figure I'll make a proper go of it. But then I get around a third of a season in (somewhere between a dozen games and two) and I feel I'm done with the game until the next instalment.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

3 hours ago, sorophx said:

kind of crazy that Arma 3 is still going, while Reforger barely makes any progress. we stopped playing Arma 3 because no matter what upgrades to our hardware we made, the game would still run rather poorly, showing its age. 

honestly, I expected BIS to go all-in on DayZ as a platform as soon as they released 1.0, but I guess that doesn't make sense to them, which is unfortunate.

Performance of the game is actually pretty good. The issue is most likely with badly optimized mods and missions. Some very popular mods on the workshop are so incredibly ****, it makes my blood boil whenever I see them mentioned. There is stuff like no low-level LODs, and first LOD of a simple rifle optic has 40k polys... This **** adds up and ruins performance for everyone.

• Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

18 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

No, you can't. There are too many buffs, debuffs, actions, reactions, weaknesses, and invulnerabilities for an action game where you can control the pawn like Dragon Age. Really, Dragon's Dogma has always been a game you have to play to understand. It's way too in depth to summarize. Back in 1994 Capcom made Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, a side-scrolling beat-'em-up rpg. Dragon's Dogma was a spiritual successor in that it tries to capture DnD in an action game and is the closest anyone has ever come. They'd have to slow the action down, make combat and exploration more 2D rather than 3D to make pawns full blown companions.

But I'm not asking for them to be full-blown companions, as you suggest. I simply don't want to have to share them with/have them be used by some online stranger.

• Thanks 1

• Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

17 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

My hype level for this is rising, hopefully I can finish my Maddening run of Engage before it releases or it may get interrupted just like last time with BG3.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands