Random video game news... Games are the most elevated form of investigation

MrBrown

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1374930/eventcomments/3906367962690840828/

Ho there, adventurers!

The Kickstarter campaign for Tales of the Moon Cult is launching on 17th October (next Tuesday)!
We're still working on some features of the campaign. If you plan to support us, please help our planning by clicking the "Notify me on launch" button on its Kickstarter page.
If the upcoming Kickstarter campaign is successful, our studio will not have to shut down. In this case, the launch of the Tales of the Moon Cult expansion (DLC) is expectable before August 2024.
The DLC introduces brand-new areas with new content and a major questline focusing on the Zoria Cult and their answer to the corruption of greed affecting the world. Some of the planned features for the free Fixpack are as follows:

• Dual wielding for Warrior and Outlaw classes
  • Strongholds
  • Travel to quest giver directly from journal UI (one loading screen)
  • Already known recipes are marked in shop UI
  • Steam Cloud Save (GOG is already supported)
  • GOG Achievements
  • Item descriptions display which classes can use the item
  • Full personal questline for Helgenhar
  • Expanded romance lines (planned stretch goal)
  • Two brand-new companions (planned high stretch goal)
  • A brand-new character class (planned high stretch goal)
  • Companion-specific epilogue (planned stretch goal)
  • More love for unarmed combat (planned stretch goal)
  • Craft a golem who will fight on your side (planned high stretch goal)
  • Shapeshifting for druids and as spells (planned stretch goal)
  • Improved modding support (planned stretch goal)

---

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/awesome-indies-from-humble-games

Discover awesome games from some of the world’s most creative, visionary independent developers in this eclectic collection of titles published by Humble Games (hey, that’s us)! Meet your maker in the unforgiving world of Moonscars. Explore a forgotten city and race to save your friends in UNSIGHTED. Become a champ in the vibrant school sports RPG Dodgeball Academia, journey into the Deep Woods of The Wild at Heart, and much more—and help support Direct Relief with your purchase.

There were at least 4 games that I wanted (Moonscars, Unsighted, The Wild at Heart, and Flynn) and the charity seemed good.

---

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-lord-of-the-rings-gollum-devs-were-expected-to-make-an-ambitious-triple-a-game-on-a-tenth-of-the-budget-report-claims

A new report has delved into some of what went wrong behind the scenes at developers Daedalic, alleging a combination of overstretched resources, crunch and ambitions to somehow create a triple-A game on a fraction of the budget.

Gollum released in such a state that Daedalic released an apology for the “underwhelming experience” and “disappointment” of fans. Two sources who spoke to Game Two claimed that the apology was generated by AI tool ChatGPT, and that it was published by Nacon without any knowledge or involvement from Daedalic.

Somehow sad. Also, it is odd that Daedelic who had a lot of experience with point-and-click adventures, but not action-adventures, decided to go for the latter.

• Thanks 1

I don't know what Lamplighters is trying to be, and I'm not sure the game does either. Early 20th century setting? That's good. Weird cartoonish 3D aesthetic? That's bad. Tactical turn-based combat? That's good. Real-time only stealth sections? That's bad. I dunno, maybe I'll go watch one of those long-form YouTube reviews to get more than that surface treatment of it, but the general discourse around the game isn't promising.

Also, petty as it is, the name evokes the infamous Little Lamplight segment of FO3. 😛

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

54 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I don't know what Lamplighters is trying to be, and I'm not sure the game does either. Early 20th century setting? That's good. Weird cartoonish 3D aesthetic? That's bad. Tactical turn-based combat? That's good. Real-time only stealth sections? That's bad. I dunno, maybe I'll go watch one of those long-form YouTube reviews to get more than that surface treatment of it, but the general discourse around the game isn't promising.

Also, petty as it is, the name evokes the infamous Little Lamplight segment of FO3. 😛

I think that was the part that made me drop FO3 for good and never return to it. Those *^^$@#$ brats were so annoying and I couldn't kill them. Not even with the mini nuke 😠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I think that was the part that made me drop FO3 for good and never return to it. Those *^^$@#$ brats were so annoying and I couldn't kill them. Not even with the mini nuke 😠

It enrages me and that's despite the fact I never even got to play up to that section myself, only seeing someone else experience the horror.

Granted BG3 can result in a similar experience occurring with the Tiefling kids, but not as egregiously so.

• Gasp! 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

7 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I didn't play much (too distracted with other games for now) but I do like the setting. It aims for pulpy adventure vibe (Indiana Jones, Mummy, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Rocketman, and probably the whole host of media those films based themselves on), and so far so good.

I also don't like the mesh of turn based and real time stealth - whenever it is Baldur's Gate3 or Mutant Zero real time controls just aren't tight enough to be enjoyable. THAT said, so far Lamplighters seemed like the best implementation of the idea of the three.

Honestly, I enjoyed my time with the game a lot, but reviews cooled me off a bit. Will wrap up what I have now, before diving into LL for real.

• Like 2

Depends on whether the rumour that Paradox laid off most of HBS' staff a couple of months ago is true or not. If it's true they may have been planning to write the game off for a while and just get what they could out of it. Doesn't really fit their attitude with VTMB2, but maybe Fred Wester is channeling his inner Zaslavsson.

There are certainly a few of the older Paradox games that should have been written off/ cancelled- Ship Simulator Extreme, Stalin vs Martians and others. Seems the Lamplighters was nowhere near as bad a state as them though.

8 hours ago, Wormerine said:

whenever it is Baldur's Gate3 or Mutant Zero real time controls just aren't tight enough to be enjoyable.

BG3 lets you force turn-based mode though. I don't think any of the other games do? JA3 included, sadly.

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

You know, I don't ever remember wanting to kill any children in BG1 and BG2, where you actually can, but all of these games where you can't, there's always at least one that I definitely did. Kind of feels like a chicken-or-the-egg situation: did they give children immortality because they realized their child characters were so annoying that they needed immortality to make sure that players weren't heartlessly slaughtering children en masse, or did they oh so smugly develop all these annoying child characters with the foreknowledge that there's absolutely nothing that the player can do about them? Regardless, I think it'd be a good idea for developers to remember that players will want to mutilate and butcher children if they're too annoying, incentivizing those developers to write them appropriately with that firmly in mind.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Fallout (2?) also had that Child Killer trait you could get if you did it the dumb way, which is a big but reasonable disincentive to do it without blocking off the option altogether. The smart way, of course, was to let the kids pickpocket that lit dynamite out of your pocket.

This was the one where the European versions of the game had the kids "removed" I believe? And by removed, made invisible so Europeans had to deal with invisible pickpockets.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

This was the one where the European versions of the game had the kids "removed" I believe? And by removed, made invisible so Europeans had to deal with invisible pickpockets.

Yes 😠

Luckily modders released a fix at some point, which made them visible again. Iirc, there was also a version of Carmageddon released where the blood was coloured green 😖

But luckily that was only those sold on the German market, the version I bought in Denmark was perfectly fine, pedestrians getting all splattered and spraying red blood and gore everywhere when running them over.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

58 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

It is done. Maybe the lord have mercy on us.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2023/10/13/xbox-activision-blizzard/

Interesting additions to Gamepass soon?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If cod games come to gamepass, I might check it out for the first time. Not gonna pay 70something bucks for 3 hour campaigns that probably are just mediocre anyways. However, if the games will be on gamepass.. why not.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

https://steamdb.info/app/1937780/charts/

total war pharaoh seem to have extremely low sale

Steamdb sales statistics are highly unreliable. They depend on a formula based on how many reviews a game has. In my experience, sales can be more than 3 times as much than their estimate.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."