Random video game news... Games are the most elevated form of investigation

MrBrown

Wow, are the sales dropping so hard that they finally put a game out on Steam? Looks like Diablo slow but steadily done for as a franchise.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

21 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Wow, are the sales dropping so hard that they finally put a game out on Steam? Looks like Diablo slow but steadily done for as a franchise.

They already put OW2, so they may be just putting all of their stuff. Might be something Microsoft asked them to do.

D4 sold really well AFAIK, on release at least.

Edited by MrBrown

10 hours ago, Lexx said:

Seems to be a strategic thing. D4 made a lot of money.ย  The new changes look positive, although scratch my head as to why they do it late, heh.

Steam reviews on D4 will just remind me why I don't bother with them

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The only thing Steam reviews is any good for these days is identifying small-time indie games possibly worth playing. If there's an indie game with 100 reviews that no basically no-one has ever heard of much less played that you're considering, seeing >95% positive is surely a lot more encouraging than <50%. But that's pretty much it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14 hours ago, MrBrown said:

They already put OW2, so they may be just putting all of their stuff. Might be something Microsoft asked them to do.

D4 sold really well AFAIK, on release at least.

As they moved on to microtransactions filled live services it only makes sense to bring their games to a platform with a wider audience.

20 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The only thing Steam reviews is any good for these days is identifying small-time indie games possibly worth playing. If there's an indie game with 100 reviews that no basically no-one has ever heard of much less played that you're considering, seeing >95% positive is surely a lot more encouraging than <50%. But that's pretty much it.

Yes this is exactly how I operate as well. The thousands of Steam reviews for big/AAA games mean absolutely nothing to me, but Steam reviews for a small indie game I will take into my consideration.

• Like 1

I like that Steam reviews put people on my friends list at the top. @melkathiย has reviewed everything. :p

But seriously, I usually just read a few and can get a pretty decent idea if the reviews are any use. Of course the AAA just gets a lot of random haters, but it's not like those games don't have enough exposure to overcome that.ย 

• Haha 2

I don't read reviews at all, at most I'll take recs from people I know and whose taste can align with mine.

Anyways....Bioware is getting sued for not paying enough severance.

I'd say I'd boycott anything Bioware puts out until they pay up, but everything they've put out for a decade or so has been mediocre bargin bin bait at best so it's not like I'd be buying it in the first place.

4 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Of course the AAA just gets a lot of random haters

Excuse you, I'm a (semi-)pro hater. Like The Monarch.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"Youย are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyย it seems like the creatorsย like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tย forgetย the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Areย you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralย camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Those layoffs seem to have been mostly about union-busting too.

Yeah that's what makes it worse than if they were just laid off.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"Youย are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyย it seems like the creatorsย like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tย forgetย the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Areย you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralย camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Yeah that's what makes it worse than if they were just laid off.

There were 2 separate instances - the one mentioned in the article where the severance was inadequate (not related to unions) and another one where a contract with another company (Keyword Studios) was not renewed, then that company fired their unionised employees.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/canadas-first-ever-unionised-game-staff-working-on-dragon-age-dreadwolf-have-all-been-fired

ย Just last year, QA contractors working on Dragon Age: Dreadwolf voted unanimously to become Canadaโ€™s first-ever video game industry union. Now, sadly, the Keyword Studios employees working on the RPG have all been laid off after developer BioWare decided not to renew their contract.

Speaking to Polygon, a UFCW (United Food and Commercial Workers Canada Union) representative confirmed that all 13 QA workers who were assisting BioWare lost their jobs in late September. Keywordโ€™s head of marketing, Liz Corless, then said the terminations were due to โ€œthe end of a fixed term client contract.โ€

I hope that the people affected will be able to protect their rights and find new employment.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

13 minutes ago, melkathi said:

What games were you looking at?

I think it was Troubleshooter, but I checked into it, and you've reviewed 51 games! You are prolific. :)

@Tale Might have you beat. He's reviewed 90 games. I see him a lot too.

Edited by Hurlshort

8 hours ago, MrBrown said:

That price hike is a bit nuts.ย  Shame I didn't go to one back in '08 or so, though

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

ย 

pretty high score

most player seem to hate this one moment it was announced

very sad to see people still asking horrible mistake of older game like navel battle population number and family treeย 

Edited by uuuhhii