Random video game news... Games are the most elevated form of investigation

MrBrown

13 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Josh Sawyer would be up for making Pillars of Eternity3 if he got a lot of budget fot it. So... still no hope for PoE3?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/obsidians-josh-sawyer-wants-to-do-pillars-of-eternity-3-with-baldurs-gate-3s-budget

Thanks for the post.

It makes me very sad and unhappy that Sawyer would go with TB combat for a PoE3. I would hate that. I hope he would at least still keep both systems in the game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I would very much like to see more mid and big budget RPGs that aren't off-brand Elder Scrolls things. Sawyer is a component guy and I think he'd be able to make something I'd enjoy more than BG3 if he had the budget.

One thing though, BG3 characters are absolutely insane and that works for me. Stuff like His Majesty or the foot fetish goblins are absolutely great and a hypothetical PoE3 would benefit from some of that zany nonsense.

I think he could too, he just needs to stop fighting windmills.

Comedy in moderation never made things worse.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

14 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I think he could too, he just needs to stop fighting windmills.

Comedy in moderation never made things worse.

After letting BG3 digest for a while I think it managed to hit a lot of the same notes of BG1+2 by having absolute maniacs being incredibly silly. Things like the talking chicken or strange oxes are memorable and add texture to a game. I don't think PoE did that as well and really could have benefitted from some dumb bull****.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

48 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

After letting BG3 digest for a while I think it managed to hit a lot of the same notes of BG1+2 by having absolute maniacs being incredibly silly. Things like the talking chicken or strange oxes are memorable and add texture to a game. I don't think PoE did that as well and really could have benefitted from some dumb bull****.

Hey we got lore dumps, we can't have it all. 😛

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

It makes me very sad and unhappy that Sawyer would go with TB combat for a PoE3. I would hate that. I hope he would at least still keep both systems in the game.

Yeah, I just read the extended interview. I don't really know how BG3 ended the RTwP vs TB debate... By selling more? I have not played it yet, but apart from the camera that seems to be the weakest part of the game for me.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

10 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Thanks for the post.

It makes me very sad and unhappy that Sawyer would go with TB combat for a PoE3.

I would probably make it turn based.

I’m not saying to not have a real time with pause system, but I do think that the Deadfire turn based system which I can’t take credit for, that Nick Carver and Brian MacIntosh, was really cool. But, the game wasn’t designed for it, so actually designing the game for turn based, fewer encounters, smaller encounters, but much more tactical, I think that would be a lot of fun

It seems to be he wants to design dual system, like what Deadfire ended up trying to be. I think he is right on the money - RTwP adds additional challenges on top of number crunching tactical game. Some players handle it very well, quite a few don't. And when doing turn-based playthrough I did thing that the game made a lot of enemy designs more understandable, and there was a more noticable distinction between quality and filler encounters. Way back I did suggest that PoE3 could really dial in difficulty and design for Turn-based combat - and those who need it (like myself) could use the clarity of turn-based combat, while players capable of analyzing combat as it happens in real time could go RTwP.

You could dial in tactical difficulty of the game without making it inaccesable. And if one wants to make encounters quck and unchallenging RTwP + low difficulty setting should do a trick.

But let's not get our hopes up. I am happy to see that when asked "what would you do with unlimited budget" JS answer is "PoE3". At the same time, he might not be willing to do it with anything less, so I will still treat PoE as an abandoned IP unless proven otherwise.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/space-sim-squadron-42-is-feature-complete-and-gunning-for-starfields-lunch-with-massive-new-video

Honestly, good single player campaign is all I cared for when Space Citizen was crowdfunded (it's hard to belive I was still in University at that time 😆). From the footage shown the game will need A LOT of polish before it is being released, though.

I always preferred Privateer to the mainline games so perhaps not so much for me, but it does look very nice if you ignore the framerate on what I imagine is a system around twice as powerful as mine.

In all seriousness though, there are a lot more gameplay elements than I could have imagined, and the atmosphere seems right such that slow-walking through a capital ship seems pretty immersive.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/space-sim-squadron-42-is-feature-complete-and-gunning-for-starfields-lunch-with-massive-new-video

Honestly, good single player campaign is all I cared for when Space Citizen was crowdfunded (it's hard to belive I was still in University at that time 😆). From the footage shown the game will need A LOT of polish before it is being released, though.

I am the owner of Gold Ticket from the start of the campaign, but I was not logged into my account for more than 5 years 😄

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

14 hours ago, Wormerine said:

So, wait, is it an FPS ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

57 minutes ago, Malcador said:

So, wait, is it an FPS ?

Naw, I think that was atleast 4, maybe 5 fps

• Haha 6

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

why are character in squadron 42 look more like rubber than me andromeda

They played themselves a bit with the constant delays as apparently the bulk of the mo-cap work - certainly the ones with the big-name actors - were done as far back as 2015.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

18 hours ago, Mamoulian War said:

I am the owner of Gold Ticket from the start of the campaign, but I was not logged into my account for more than 5 years 😄

oh yeah. In spite of never backing a game, I think I got some Golden Ticket as well due to creating account early, or something like that. Honestly I have lost interest once they pivoted from “single player combat sim” to “persistent universe so what you want”. That’s a pipe dream I never see myself enjoying, even if somehow it won’t be a complete mess.

8 hours ago, Malcador said:

So, wait, is it an FPS ?

It is everything. FPS and on foot exploration was one of the earliest  bloat features once crowdfunding turned widely successful. 

Alan Wake 2 - the latest game to make everyone cry about official "next ten" system requirements.  eg, more of that notion that some dev's decided to take any extra powah to stuff games with more unnecessary (and more diminished returns) effects or whatever and relying on DLSS/FSR to get 30-60fps on even 2 generation old rigs.

Unrelated: I put the first three Tombraiders remastered in my wishlist but I have no idea what to think/expect. It might be nice to have slightly updated version of those - their screenshots on Steam's page don't look overdone - but depends on how much they alter, if anything.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

83yydg.jpg

Given Ryu Ga Gotoku's track record, that's not going to be some short side-activity or a simplified or stripped-down version of essentially Animal Crossing, it's going to be a full game all on its own. RGG always SUPER overdelivers on these. For example the Cabaret Club Management or Real Estate Tycoon. Those are entire full games within Yakuza games with memorable characters, storylines, wacky shenanigans, and surprisingly deep game systems that I've spent dozens and dozens of hours playing and enjoying. The best part is that it's not DLC thay're going to charge you $25 for, it's just included. Well, actually, the best part is that my favorite character has a cameo in the trailer.

NzZhOTMzYjg0

My girl, The Obatarian. Not a surprise she'd show up, she's a fan favorite. Still, It's nice to get confirmation.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Granted they recicle so much from installement to installement, that minigames being more elaborate than is a norm is not that surprising.

Playing through Ishin right now. It definitely feels like a remake of an older title. Don't have an opinion on it yet - I didn't like it so far, as much as I thought I would.

I liked Like a Dragon, but I am not sure how excited I am for another jRPG entry - LaD became a slog after a while, and I am not terribly excited to repeat that.

5 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

I liked Like a Dragon, but I am not sure how excited I am for another jRPG entry - LaD became a slog after a while, and I am not terribly excited to repeat that.

As a big fan of Dragon Quest, I'm all in on the change to the combat system.

• Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Finally, the DEFINITIVE Starfield review:

Edit: Age-restricted. *sigh* It's a Sseth video so click at your own risk.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

@BruceVC Neocore said I should tell you the King Arthur turn based tactics game is 40% off.

They said "tell friends and loved ones". To which I replied "don't have those". To which they replied "well what ya got?" To which I replied "dunno? A Bruce on the obsidian forum?" To which they replied "That'll do. Tell him."*

*Discussion may not have happened like this.**

** or at all

• Haha 5

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

13 hours ago, melkathi said:

@BruceVC Neocore said I should tell you the King Arthur turn based tactics game is 40% off.

They said "tell friends and loved ones". To which I replied "don't have those". To which they replied "well what ya got?" To which I replied "dunno? A Bruce on the obsidian forum?" To which they replied "That'll do. Tell him."*

*Discussion may not have happened like this.**

** or at all

Thanks, good  to know 

I thoroughly enjoyed my last  Neocore  experience 🥂

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I just realized this game is only a handful of days away from release:

I played the demo 2 Next Fests ago and LOVED it. The only bummer is that the release is so close to The Talos Principle 2. Once TTP2 comes out all other games cease to exist until I 100% it. First world problems.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

New DLC for Underrail has just been released, and it is pretty cheap :)

https://www.gog.com/game/underrail_heavy_duty

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours