BG3

MrBrown

Regarding the SSD requirement, I assume it's just the usual thing with requirements, as in that's what they tested it for and what they will fix performance for. If you can get it working on a HDD, good on you, but they won't guarantee it.

4 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Yeah yeah, but what kind of genitals does he have?

No one knows, and no one cares (left it on the default). He hasn't get laid since his times at the Bard college many moons ago, and probably won't get laid on this adventure either.

I don't know, I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias. In cyberpunk it didn't exactly felt great, but at least felt somewhat appropriate to the setting. Here it is just weird.

edit. Actually, in the backstory I made up, there is a rich dwarf woman that has been his patron over the years - that's more or less what I thought of when was creating his guardian and the form it could take. But I don't know how appropriate it will be with what the guardinan will be on the game, nor what was the exact nature or relation ship between Andreas and the nobledwarfwoman. For now I am thinking of it as a more pragmatic one, from Andreas side at least.

Tim Cain's approved reviewed posted a nice, non-spoiler review for BG3

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I went with Wyll the pregenerated warlock. He seemed interestin enough to be my main character, and I remember being disappointed in my created character in D:OS2. It felt like I was an interloper on the story.

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

Regarding the SSD requirement, I assume it's just the usual thing with requirements, as in that's what they tested it for and what they will fix performance for. If you can get it working on a HDD, good on you, but they won't guarantee it.

An SSD is needed because the game is effectively a movie. For me the only significant way this game is an "improvement" over other cRPGs is that is entirely "cinematic," which I don't consider to be a plus point.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sarex said:

I have the minimum config, without the ssd. (I do have the ssd, but only 128gb)

Not sure it helps, but apparently it requires "only" 122 gb, instead of 150 gb.

4 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

And the guardian, who might be helpful, might she not?

That depends. Are you playing as the Dark Urge?

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'd probably play as either Shadowheart (...even though that's a truly advanced level of stupid name for a character)

It's even worse in the Portuguese version. I always play in English, but I saw a video on YT and they translated it to something like Umbrasoul and I think it sounds terrible.

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

I don't know, I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias.

In the video I watched, the YouTuber's reaction was priceless. He definitely didn't have any idea that would be in the game.🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

8 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I have an older processor but over the recommended otherwise, seems to running fine so far.

Some framedrops so not super smooth, but I'm also very abusive towards games, alt-tab a lot and have forced it to recover from sleep mode. :p

Right now where I'm at it's hitting 40+C/100+F (with a "feels like" 4-5C higher due to humidity) temps and the power grid is unreliable, so I want to wait until the heat is more manageable before running my PC for too long.

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

If HDDs aren't supported then why:

SFVQMCV.png

While your CPU will almost certainly work fine as-is, you can likely get your motherboard to support 5000-series CPUs, including the mighty 5800X3D, with a simple BIOS update.

I don't want to spend $400-500 right now, and it will work fine as is. I was mostly surprised after seeing a years worth of articles on how 'You will DEFINITELY NEED to UpGraDe your PC to play this game" and finding out that my 5-year old beast can run it close to recommended. I guess they let AI write all the articles or something.

47 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

It's even worse in the Portuguese version. I always play in English, but I saw a video on YT and they translated it to something like Umbrasoul and I think it sounds terrible.

There was a political figure who had an aide whose name translates to Portuguese or Brazilian slang as "Stupid Dumbass". This has nothing to do with BG3, I just think it's funny.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

Not sure it helps, but apparently it requires "only" 122 gb, instead of 150 gb.

Not really, as my OS is on the SSD, but thanks for the info. It's not really an issue to get a SSD, it's just that I don't want to spend money on it right now. If it was something I really wanted to play I would bite the bullet and upgrade my ssd/gpu, but as I'm still on the fence regarding the turned based combat and the combat in general, I would rather continue my playthrough of WotR and just get BG3 down the line when I can run it without issues.

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I was looking for some comparisons to other games, but he does mention some things in the comments. Nice review overall.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I absolutely hate the flying squid ship vs demons intro.  Ease me into the story, take me to dinner before you f me basically.

I'm taking notes this time, because I need to be able to explain with words why I don't like larian games.  Still super early on tho

Edited by Theonlygarby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Public Service Announcement - the game has ability shortcuts! It maybe had shortcuts for couple EA patches and I just didn't notice.

They can be assigned through otherwise useless "custom" tab of the hotbar. There, in the top row you shall see a numeric number assigned. Those numbers work regardless if this tab is selected or not.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MrBrown said:

My understanding of Shadowheart is that it's a fake name, since she's had some of her memories erased.

If that's not the case, then it's kinda stupid.

In my previous post, I actually intended to say "I seriously hope it's a fake/assumed name, or maybe even some kind of title - she's a priestess of Shar and they're a pretty silly bunch, right?", but somehow it got forgotten. Well, if that's the case, I suppose that's fine.

36 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

I absolutely hate the flying squid ship vs demons intro.  Ease me into the story, take me to dinner before you f me basically.

I'm taking notes this time, because I need to be able to explain with words why I don't like larian games.  Still super early on tho

Yeah, I'm a big proponent of starting off simple myself. No way to make me lose interest in something faster than hitting me with another lousy "end of the world"-type plot right off the bat. You can have an end of the world plot, whatever, fine, but c'mon, at least try to build to it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

21 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

In my previous post, I actually intended to say "I seriously hope it's a fake/assumed name, or maybe even some kind of title - she's a priestess of Shar and they're a pretty silly bunch, right?", but somehow it got forgotten. Well, if that's the case, I suppose that's fine.

Yeah, I'm a big proponent of starting off simple myself. No way to make me lose interest in something faster than hitting me with another lousy "end of the world"-type plot right off the bat. You can have an end of the world plot, whatever, fine, but c'mon, at least try to build to it.

It's just weird to start a story with something that feels like a climax.  I had a similar problem with pathfinder WOTR.  Dragon people vs demons within the first 5 minutes, then you slow things right down... I dunno, feels like bad story telling.

• Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

and

am gonna suggest there is serious upside o' getting right to the action particular for cinematic storytelling. how many first episodes o' tv shows or openings o' movies has been ruined by torturous character intros and unnecessary exposition?

we played bg3 early access and it didn't appeal to us, but we got no issue with the developers metaphorical throwing the player outta a plane w/o a parachute to get the story started. in the first minutes we don't need know who, what, where, when or why.  what we do require is for the storyteller to make us want more. am a vocal advocate o' the show, don't tell  school o' storytelling and in our opinion the one thing larian got right was avoiding the traditional, tedious, talky intro.  unfortunate, they didn't make us want to see more o' their game.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

From watching some streamers play the final version I gotta ask:

Did Larian have the decency to include a gameplay option to dispense with the d20 roll animations for the skill/attribute checks that happen every 5ft? I enjoyed DOS 1 and 2 well enough, so surely they have the decency to recognise that most of us have yet to achieve immortality and thus have respect for our time.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

36 minutes ago, Agiel said:

From watching some streamers play the final version I gotta ask:

Did Larian have the decency to include a gameplay option to dispense with the d20 roll animations for the skill/attribute checks that happen every 5ft? I enjoyed DOS 1 and 2 well enough, so surely they have the decency to recognise that most of us have yet to achieve immortality and thus have respect for our time.

No.

If you click on it skips the animation though, so it's a bit faster.

That same interface lets you use spells etc abilities to modify the roll though, so later on it's reasonable to have it.

Played for 3-4 hours. The immersive sim/sandbox aspects, traversal abilities, and the applicability of non-combat spells are impressive. The camera distance and tethering to the active party member are not. The cut-scenes are mostly fine, but the auto-comments and facial expressions from the PC sometimes miss.
Also, it seems that several evil deities were removed from character creation and most hairstyles clip through tiefling horns and elf ears.
Not sure if I should put the screenshots here or in the Pictures thread, so spoiler-free screenshots:

Spoiler

KpFHzhV.png

Managed to move the camera onto a wall and that was the distance I liked. Unavailable normally, unfortunately.

teelGTz.png

I need to find a helmet. The expression was not completely incorrect in the context, but I'd rather not see it.

Style-wise, the D&D game seems lower on Larian's humour. I guess, if it started from the point before the kidnapping (like Dragon Age: Origins or even the festival in Kenabres in WotR), it would have been better, but due to the variety of locations, require more resources to implement.

Gathered the party and reached the Goblin Camp, which was the same point I had reached in EA, though this time from the north and talking to NPC (instead of wandering randomly). Also, it is possible to set Grease on fire, but, thankfully, the fire does not spread. And, I think, blood is possible to freeze with cantrips. Most importantly, halflings can reroll failed checks which decreases the number of reloads per hour (loading times on HDD are longer than I'd like).
Some screenshots from the road and the refugee camp (what was available in EA as well):

Spoiler

e3uP269.png

5TfRmld.png

niHicLc.png

I was surprised that the child could die, but then I was able to grab another child and hit the third one with them in combat. While I would prefer to have non-lethal options for this kind of situations, I am still happy to see the consistency - they are not immortal.

pNlXKRp.png

YWIJPbs.png

tHKONim.png

7tcxVpD.png

Same as in EA, the artefact teleported to me, while Shadowheart was quite far away. There was some new dialogue, but I might have missed it before.

Overall, so far the game has been significantly more enjoyable than DOS and I hope that it will continue beyond the EA tested area.

Edited by Hawke64
  • Like 1

Playing as halfling, cutscenes have been mixed. Some work alright, there is pretty regular feeling that NPCs weren't quite meant to be looking down, and fairly regularly a cutscene breaks. In EA, at least, short races playthroughs were always a big more buggy than usual, so my guess would be that the same is true in 1.0.

• Thanks 1