Random video game news... may the dice be with you!

Gorth

I have some updated gameplay information about Starfield, its looking good :thumbsup:

1.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10
  • Gasp! 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

FSR 2.0 arriving on XBOX Series X/S and One soon.

It's been known for quite some that AMD's FSR 2.0 would eventually make its way onto Microsoft's recent-ish consoles, but now it's confirmed that developers already have their hands on the upscaling tech and it is being actively tested on the aforementioned consoles for use in upcoming titles. It should be noted that FSR 2.0 requires significantly more work to implement than FSR 1.0, which was very simple to put into a game. The tradeoff is that the image quality to performance ratio is much more favorable, rivaling that of DLSS 2.0.

Interestingly, AFAIK Sony has been completely silent on whether FSR 2.0 will show up on PS4/5. Given that there is no technical limitation preventing this (it's the same architectures as the Microsoft counterparts) I would presume that indeed FSR 2.0 will be used on Sony consoles but mysteriously they have never commented on the matter to the best of my knowledge.

:shrugz:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm not sure I'd expect Sony to proactively comment except now, after MS has. FSR is open source, so presumably it will ultimately be up to the devs whether it gets implemented or not as I couldn't see any circumstance in which Sony would block them using it.

More interesting might be to ask Nintendo about it since they use nVidia hardware (sans Tensors, not that DLSS scales particularly with tensors anyway) and it works on nVidia PC systems. I'd suspect the archaic ARM part of Tegra would be the sticking point though.

Also, Dear Tom's Hardware,

the whole point of an upscaler is that it takes less GPU power to upscale than to just render at that resolution, that's true whatever the hardware is. xbox 1 support is only surprising because it's old and it needs to be enabled on a per game basis, not because hardware can't handle it. It'd probably work on an old 7000 series desktop/ laptop card too if AMD updated the drivers, they'd just scale up to their own limitations rather than a rx6900's. Bet CDPR wished it was around when C2077 launched, may have helped with some of the last gen issues they had.

• Thanks 1

FSR 2.0 has higher minimum requirements than 1.0 AFAIK. I'm too lazy to do the research on whether or not the Switch cuts the mustard.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

https://www.sportskeeda.com/esports/rumor-diablo-immortal-reportedly-met-ban-china-according-reddit

The user stated that on the Chinese social media platform Weibo, the official social media account of the game posted "熊怎么还不下台" which roughly translates to "Why doesn't the bear step down?"

For some time now, netizens have likened the current leader of the Chinese government to the popular cartoon character Winne the Pooh. A quick search on the web will reveal a number of memes on the same.

In this context, the post "quickly exploded on the Chinese internet" and was perceived "as an open provocation." The Redditor said that this led to a complete shutdown of the marketing of Diablo Immortal in China, with speculation of NetEase not receiving any license for game publishing for the next three years. Given that the company is the local distributor for Blizzard, the post contended (sic):

If this turns out to be true, what a blow to Blizzard...

Edited by MrBrown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

My expectations for starfield are rather low. The fact that they have the exact same conversation interface that they came out with 15-20 years ago (complete with the frozen, staring you down face) doesn't make me think that it's going to be a good core experiance until after you've waited a year and a half and have had a small heap of talented non-payed modders put things together. 

Other news I haven't seen mentioned. Overwatch 2, the release of this game will effectively deactivate OW1 completely meaning you have to swap to OW 2

And that dude who took down a bunch of Destiny 2 content via false DMCA claims has been sued for over 7 million dollars.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

8 hours ago, Calax said:

My expectations for starfield are rather low.

Everyone is posting this meme right now:

unknown.png

: >

• Haha 8

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

10 hours ago, Calax said:

Other news I haven't seen mentioned. Overwatch 2, the release of this game will effectively deactivate OW1 completely meaning you have to swap to OW 2

Which considering that OW2 is a major patch to OW1 is not very surprising. Blizz vowed a while back that Ow1 multi will be always compatible with OW2 - with game going free to play, I couldn't imagine it being any other way. Which also brings a question, why call it OW2 if there will be no distinction between the two.

13 hours ago, Calax said:

My expectations for starfield are rather low. The fact that they have the exact same conversation interface that they came out with 15-20 years ago (complete with the frozen, staring you down face) doesn't make me think that it's going to be a good core experiance until after you've waited a year and a half and have had a small heap of talented non-payed modders put things together. 

ontent via false DMCA claims has been sued for over 7 million dollars.

Here is the full 15 minutes Starfield gameplay video I mentioned earlier, I am have not sure if you have watched the whole video including  Todds comments? Watch it now if you havent and then tell me if your expectations are still low?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Despite their flaws, I always end up enjoying Bethesda games and getting a decent chunk of hours into them. The exception is Fallout 76, but Starfield seems light years better than that train wreck, so that's good.

• Like 3

I really can't predict whether I'll like a Bethesda game prior to actually trying each as it arrives. So it's fortunate that I won't have to pay for the privilege of trying Starfield. I'd give Morrowind and Skyrim a low B, Fallouts 3 and 4 a D, and Oblivion an F.

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Fallout 4 completely lost me due to all the terrible gameplay mechanics. 😄 Stupid level scaling, power armor around every corner, lazy fetch quest disguised as faction stories, etc. etc. I painfully grinded to level 30 so I could check out the enclave power armor which would then spawn on those power armor spawn slots all over the game world, and then deleted the game and haven't touched it ever since.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I did get maybe around 30-40 hours out of FO4, and I never even engaged with the settlement mechanic. It was only natural to not do so: I mean, the way the game sets it up, you've just set off on your big quest, and in the first town you go to, you meet some NPCs and you're supposed to go with them back to where you started? How does that structure even make the slightest sense narratively? It'd be like going straight back to the Vault after reaching Shady Sands in FO1. So yeah, I never went back so I never even learned how the base building even worked.

Doesn't help I think that as a non-American, I can't think of a single thing about Boston other than it exists. So there was no sense of place at all as I trekked through what was for me, the ruins of a completely generic city. So much so that my entire experience was basically ended within a few hours of leaving Diamond City (which was okay, the best part of the game's low standards) because all I could see besides Diamond City was generic bombed out ruins. Just the traditional Bethesda thing of misunderstanding Fallout and setting it as if it was 20 years after the bombs fell, and not 200.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

59 minutes ago, Humanoid said:

I did get maybe around 30-40 hours out of FO4, and I never even engaged with the settlement mechanic. It was only natural to not do so: I mean, the way the game sets it up, you've just set off on your big quest, and in the first town you go to, you meet some NPCs and you're supposed to go with them back to where you started? How does that structure even make the slightest sense narratively? It'd be like going straight back to the Vault after reaching Shady Sands in FO1. So yeah, I never went back so I never even learned how the base building even worked.

Doesn't help I think that as a non-American, I can't think of a single thing about Boston other than it exists. So there was no sense of place at all as I trekked through what was for me, the ruins of a completely generic city. So much so that my entire experience was basically ended within a few hours of leaving Diamond City (which was okay, the best part of the game's low standards) because all I could see besides Diamond City was generic bombed out ruins. Just the traditional Bethesda thing of misunderstanding Fallout and setting it as if it was 20 years after the bombs fell, and not 200.

Some games you play for 10 hours or less and you feel like it was a worthwhile experience, others, you play for 40 and feel like you wasted your time.  I don't think time spent makes a game good or bad.

Unfortunately I spent a ton of time on settlement building and it really makes no difference to the story.  I also chose to side with the minutemen because all the factions were dumb.  Which really just means I got the worst outcome.

The point you make about the city feeling generic is accurate.  It didn't feel like a nuke went off, it felt like you were in modern day Detroit or Syria

• Thanks 1

Forgot the worst trial of all.  Sprint retrospectives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Really not a fan of the art style.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 6/27/2022 at 5:30 AM, BruceVC said:

Here is the full 15 minutes Starfield gameplay video I mentioned earlier, I am have not sure if you have watched the whole video including  Todds comments? Watch it now if you havent and then tell me if your expectations are still low?

I saw the reveal and videos as they were shown at the showcase. The thing is that everything I've seen is that this is going to be, at best, a theme park where you go and build a ship, build an outpost, have a small combat bit, but it's more about wandering aimlessly through the wilderness in hopes of finding something. They are selling this on 1000 planets, and 4 cities. It's gonna be a mediocre shooter. I mean, it says something that standard Bethesda Face hasn't been fixed since Oblivion (that I can recall anyway).

• Thanks 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

1 minute ago, Calax said:

I saw the reveal and videos as they were shown at the showcase. The thing is that everything I've seen is that this is going to be, at best, a theme park where you go and build a ship, build an outpost, have a small combat bit, but it's more about wandering aimlessly through the wilderness in hopes of finding something. They are selling this on 1000 planets, and 4 cities. It's gonna be a mediocre shooter. I mean, it says something that standard Bethesda Face hasn't been fixed since Oblivion (that I can recall anyway).

Its going to be like ME but developed by Bethesda. I wouldnt use the word aimlessly because its going to be exploring which is part of the fun and combat will be a big part of the game. What is different to normal ES games is the space battles....its going to be great 🥳

But dont underestimate the exceptional mods that will be created that can populate many of the ostensibly boring planets. The modding community is going to have a field day 

John Milton 

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

Really not a fan of the art style.

Everyone hating on the art style and I'm here like, niceee finally a new Monkey Island game that I actually want to play. Was never a fan of the art style that came with MI3+.

• Thanks 1