Random video game news... may the dice be with you!

Gorth

19 hours ago, marelooke said:

Well, Conan Exiles battlepass is officially going to be the FOMO "grind it now or miss out forever" type of deal, with ditto rotating cash shop.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/440900/announcements/detail/3358013033289159770

Bloody shame, but I guess at least I got my money's worth out of the game. Might have to see if I can't lock down a version so I can avoid all this crap as I don't think there's really anything out there that kinda can take its place.

I'm not quite sure how this all affects people playing their own single player maps. I haven't touched any of the official servers in ages, so I'm not sure if I understand how the passes and rotating bazaar actually affect me. Also, if I make my base with some stuff and the store rotates, what happens to my base?

I don't know. They whole thing seems weird and geared towards multiplayer folks. I just want to build and explore alone while my thralls stand around looking scary.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I'm not quite sure how this all affects people playing their own single player maps. I haven't touched any of the official servers in ages, so I'm not sure if I understand how the passes and rotating bazaar actually affect me. Also, if I make my base with some stuff and the store rotates, what happens to my base?

I don't know. They whole thing seems weird and geared towards multiplayer folks. I just want to build and explore alone while my thralls stand around looking scary.

You'd have earned those pieces through the battlepass, so you'd be safe, but if you'd missed some of the other matching parts in the battlepass and it rotates, well you'll never get it. And it's very unlikely that anything on a private server, if they'll even exist properly, will count towards a battlepass since you can change all the settings to your liking which would work badly with a grind oriented battlepass. This'd also apply to mods I suppose.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Katphood said:

Romero-Games_07-19-22-768x432.jpg

John Romero hiring for new fps developed on UE5

If it's Daikatana 2 I am buying it, you have all been warned.

Can't wait to be his bitch again.

/Edit: Holy ****, bitch isn't censored.

On a serious note, Romero is cool. Very dedicated and still supporting Doom with new maps and stuff. Very nice.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

You'd have earned those pieces through the battlepass, so you'd be safe, but if you'd missed some of the other matching parts in the battlepass and it rotates, well you'll never get it. And it's very unlikely that anything on a private server, if they'll even exist properly, will count towards a battlepass since you can change all the settings to your liking which would work badly with a grind oriented battlepass. This'd also apply to mods I suppose.

They claim you can progress the battle pass on a local server. I'm not quite sure how that'd work, since, as you mention that would trivialize...everything. Then again, the same goes for single player so I  dunno what they're trying to do, really, aside of attempting to fleece their playerbase.

On the topic of which, someone did the math, and items in the new store are apparently between 10 and 100 times more expensive than the "old" DLC model, which itself was already fairly expensive, comparatively...

Edited by marelooke

Maybe Romero'll finally make his vision of Quake.  Reminder to everyone to read Masters of Doom, as well.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, marelooke said:

They claim you can progress the battle pass on a local server. I'm not quite sure how that'd work, since, as you mention that would trivialize...everything. Then again, the same goes for single player so I  dunno what they're trying to do, really, aside of attempting to fleece their playerbase.

On the topic of which, someone did the math, and items in the new store are apparently between 10 and 100 times more expensive than the "old" DLC model, which itself was already fairly expensive, comparatively...

Their claim sounds way too much like some sort of bull****, it makes it sound like you would be able to maybe rent a "private" server but not have access to the settings, alternatively that they'd remove the settings. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not looking forward to solo-grinding down bosses in 30+ minute fights.

I am not one bit surprised about this, that would be the goal for tencent afterall. And it's hidden behind Crom-coins aswell, to fleece people a little bit more. 🙄

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-typing-sim-from-hell-has-you-writing-buzzword-filled-emails-for-eternity/

Mondays: A Sisyphean Typing Game (opens in new tab) is a free-to-play typing sim that has you copy randomly generated intercompany emails packed with meaningless buzzwords. To demonstrate the fruitlessness of your tasks, each letter you type pushes a massive boulder a tiny fraction up a hill that only grows steeper. Get a letter wrong and there's no backspace—you immediately roll back down the hill with your boulder and have to start again. Rise and grind.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-26/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-game-paused-amid-studio-shakeup

A hotly anticipated new Star Wars game is in serious trouble, according to people familiar with the project.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic, a remake of a 2003 role-playing game, is delayed indefinitely as developers at Austin, Texas-based Aspyr Media try to figure out what comes next. Aspyr also abruptly fired the game’s art director and design director this month. In a series of meetings throughout July, Aspyr’s two studio heads told employees that the project is on pause and that the company will look for new contracts and development opportunities, said the people, who were not authorized to speak publicly about the situation.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.ign.com/articles/gta-6-female-playable-character-story-bonnie-clyde

Sounds like a lot of DLC, probably get tuned out by the people moaning about them being woke or whatever

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I'd really love me some actual new GTA, not looking forward to them milking the online part for a decade, and not interested in giving the ****s at Take 2 any money.

28 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Sounds like a lot of DLC, probably get tuned out by the people moaning about them being woke or whatever

My main concern is how much time & effort is going into the story campaign and how much into the next iteration of the GTA Online cash cow?

• Hmmm 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 7/27/2022 at 5:51 PM, Malcador said:

Im confidant Rockstar will deliver on another successful and entertaining GTA

I dont think wokeness will change there formulae, some people on Codex are very angry though but I heard some hilarious comments like " the new Latina character will constantly complain about immigration and there will be numerous  missions to kill ICE agents  and destroy ICE detention centers " :lol:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 7/27/2022 at 6:21 PM, Keyrock said:

My main concern is how much time & effort is going into the story campaign and how much into the next iteration of the GTA Online cash cow?

I hope you wrong. Its been mentioned they stopped any new, major updates on RDR2 Online and they focusing on GTA6 so sometimes it goes the other way and the SP experience gets more development attention

Also as far as remember GTA5 online is the same as RDR2 Online, you just need to pay for the original game but access is free. I havent ever paid for anything in the 1000 hours or so I spent on RDR2 Online?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Problem is, new GTA gameplay will just be the exact same thing we have seen for 20 years now. Hell even RDR2 has GTA-style mission flow .... So the only thing that a new GTA would have for it would be the bits of story. Rest is just going to be the same pew-pew missions as always.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Problem is, new GTA gameplay will just be the exact same thing we have seen for 20 years now. Hell even RDR2 has GTA-style mission flow .... So the only thing that a new GTA would have for it would be the bits of story. Rest is just going to be the same pew-pew missions as always.

I agree but I enjoy the ways missions are designed by Rockstar. They not suppose to be overly complicated 

But its the activities and side distractions, like visiting strip clubs, that make a difference And also there are always Easter Eggs in there games that make exploration fun and worthwhile 

Here are some links that highlight this, I didnt find most of these things in either game

https://www.thegamer.com/20-crazy-gta-v-easter-eggs-and-myths-you-have-to-see/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/red-dead-redemption-2/rdr2-easter-eggs-secrets

John Milton 

https://www.pcgamer.com/classic-style-rts-tempest-rising-hits-in-2023/

That music ****ing sucks.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1