Random video game news... may the dice be with you!

Gorth

Well, Conan Exiles expansion announced...aaaaand the game's getting a battlepass.

No more details known, but given Funcom/Tencent's other products expectations are low. The lead designer immediately being apologetic after announcing it also says a lot, I'd say.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Sad 5

38 minutes ago, marelooke said:

Well, Conan Exiles expansion announced...aaaaand the game's getting a battlepass.

No more details known, but given Funcom/Tencent's other products expectations are low. The lead designer immediately being apologetic after announcing it also says a lot, I'd say.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

They're going to completely **** up mods aswell I think, don't want those cosmetic moolahs being lost from people downloading mods instead.

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

14 hours ago, Katphood said:

Still have the boxed version but damn...I am buying that ****.

That worked with Windows 7 (if I recall correctly..) but could always get the version off GOG, save some money.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm nervous about the Battlepass thing for Conan Exiles as well, but I am super jazzed about the content they are adding. Sorcery looks pretty well done for the setting and seems to add a decent travel system to the game outside the map room and suicide.

The creative build mode is a big addition for me. I tend to make a mess of my attempts at creating decent fortresses, so it will save me a lot of headache. 

So yeah, lot's of very good in the announcement and one giant red flag. 

edit: Conan is the only game I have really embrace the DLC model with too. I buy up those packs with no hesitation, even if it is just cosmetic stuff. So I don't really know what the battlepass means in the long run.

Edited by Hurlsnot
  • Like 2

Gleaned some additional info, of course, until it's released everything's up in the air...

6 hours ago, Azdeus said:

They're going to completely **** up mods aswell I think, don't want those cosmetic moolahs being lost from people downloading mods instead.

One of the major modders claims it's not going to mess with mods. Then again, they got an NPC in the game, so they might be slightly biased.

This whole debacle does explain why you can't even play on a local LAN anymore without internet connection though (game will instantly boot you from your local server if your connection drops for even a little while).

Naysayers warned about this bs coming when they forced the launcher, guess they were right.

3 hours ago, Hurlsnot said:

I'm nervous about the Battlepass thing for Conan Exiles as well, but I am super jazzed about the content they are adding. Sorcery looks pretty well done for the setting and seems to add a decent travel system to the game outside the map room and suicide.

The creative build mode is a big addition for me. I tend to make a mess of my attempts at creating decent fortresses, so it will save me a lot of headache. 

So yeah, lot's of very good in the announcement and one giant red flag. 

edit: Conan is the only game I have really embrace the DLC model with too. I buy up those packs with no hesitation, even if it is just cosmetic stuff. So I don't really know what the battlepass means in the long run.

Same, I've bought every single DLC so far. From what I gather the content in the battle pass will be time limited, per the usual FOMO bs, but it would rotate, or something? Kinda unclear to me right now. Regardless, seems hoping for the "least-bad" type of pass where you can complete them at your own pace (supposedly what Halo Infinite does) isn't on the table :(

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, marelooke said:

Gleaned some additional info, of course, until it's released everything's up in the air...

One of the major modders claims it's not going to mess with mods. Then again, they got an NPC in the game, so they might be slightly biased.

This whole debacle does explain why you can't even play on a local LAN anymore without internet connection though (game will instantly boot you from your local server if your connection drops for even a little while).

Naysayers warned about this bs coming when they forced the launcher, guess they were right.

Same, I've bought every single DLC so far. From what I gather the content in the battle pass will be time limited, per the usual FOMO bs, but it would rotate, or something? Kinda unclear to me right now. Regardless, seems hoping for the "least-bad" type of pass where you can complete them at your own pace (supposedly what Halo Infinite does) isn't on the table :(

I found some of the comments in the news post from a couple of (self-proclaimed) modders claiming it will, but I have no deeper info than that.

I think the only DLC pack I'm missing is Riddle of Steel myself, but I highly doubt I will give them any more of my money now.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 6/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, Oner said:

I was going to make the same joke but didn't see any listed. :lol:

$9.99 US.  So, still a bit enhanced 😛

Not worth it though - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-blade-runner-games-new-remaster-looks-worse

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://kotaku.com/activision-blizzard-ceo-bobby-kotick-vote-board-directo-1849093322

Shareholders vote to keep him on, AND voted to approve the company's internal report on the sexual harassment.

This is a big thing. If the shareholders vote so, it means they're fine with the company being as it is. Individuals or the a governmental entity might still sue them, but money is the thing that makes big changes, and they're not likely to come.

• Sad 2

I hoped MS would finally put him down, too bad, not looks good for D4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

4 hours ago, Malcador said:

$9.99 US.  So, still a bit enhanced 😛

Not worth it though - https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-blade-runner-games-new-remaster-looks-worse

That was a nice read. Thanks!

Well, one more remaster gone wrong. Gotta dust of my Blade Runner CD's. They're in German though. 😆

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

3 minutes ago, Katphood said:

That was a nice read. Thanks!

Well, one more remaster gone wrong. Gotta dust of my Blade Runner CD's. They're in German though. 😆

Seems no way to get the original only on GOG as well, they bundled it with the EE. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

I hoped MS would finally put him down, too bad, not looks good for D4

The deal isn't finalised/ closed/ approved, yet. It will be the old board/ shareholders approving Kotick (and the investigation into sexual misconduct), not MS.

Decent chance he goes when MS does close the deal, fairly sure it was stipulated at the time that him staying on was not a condition of the sale.

Hold on to your buttcheeks:
Into the Breach get a free Advanced Edition upgrade on July 19th and comes to IOS & Andoid. It will be free for all Netflix subscribers

https://subsetgames.com/itb_ae.html

Edit: for a time being the only way to access ItB on mobile will be through Netflix subscription. There will be no standalone purchase for a time being.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Gasp! 1

I watched the 15 minute gameplay video on Starfield and Im confident this is going to be another entertaining and worthy game from the prestigious Bethesda studio. Some take-aways

• the highly talented and helpful modding community will take the game from fun to superlative as usual
  • the narrative is interesting where you have to explore numerous planets to find artifacts
  • the combat reminds me of ME which I thoroughly enjoyed. The implementation of jetpacks is a nice touch
  • I like the way you can customize your ship
  • the design of having a 1000 planets is great for those like me who enjoy exploring and being rewarded. It was mentioned by Todd that some of the planets will only have mineral resources and some of them will have life. That's exactly what I expect and again its similar to ME where not all the planets have structures or aliens or living creatures
  • I dont particularly care about all the character customizations like hair color but its nice for those who do enjoy those types of mechanics

Im not going to give this game a "day 1 purchase for sure " as I will wait for reviews and player feedback but I predict this game will be a huge success

And in closing, all the planets really open up the creative side of the modding community so I cant wait to see what mods we get  

@kanisatha and other people excited about Starfield, its going to be a good game 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

12 hours ago, Malcador said:

Seems no way to get the original only on GOG as well, they bundled it with the EE. 

That's good news. Having the originals replaced by the Enhanced Edition or whatever has become a recurring problem in the past few years. Want to buy the original version of Shadow Man or Planescape: Torment? Guess what, they're gone.

Edited by Katphood

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.