What You've Done Today - But you… have elected… the way of… pain!

Amentep

Just dozed off unexpectedly, guess I am pretty tired of late.  These things are beyond pointless, but we reverted to our Super Lumbergh esque management, so skipping gets me nagged at.  Seems to be a very British thing to have soulless micromanagers

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I turned the garden soil and laid a light fertilizer. It's not a job I particularly enjoy but it isn't hard work. The Kubota does all the work. I just try to steer in straight lines. But it was a little sad thinking it might be the last time. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

am all in favor o' selling, seeing as how am planning to sell off as much as possible in the near future. however, we don't need to buy simultaneous. also, unless you really need the money, if you got a place you genuine love, am suspecting the pros v. cons analysis you do as part o' your decision regarding selling is gonna have a substantial con which needs countering, yes?

well, good luck regardless. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

A couple of days ago I thought my water heater got leaky because water dripped down from under it. Turned it and the water off, drained it, went looking for new ones to replace it, all that jazz. Turns out that might have been a bit premature. It's not the heater, considering the ceiling above it is now all wet and drippy. It probably was wet and drippy before, but it now reached a maginutude where it's visible.

I'd rather have to buy a new heater and have it installed than having to deal with that again. Nothing like having construction work done at home in November with all the windows and the door open, and my upstairs neighbor is, uhm, difficult to deal with, and that's me being all nice, because she's half a lose marble away from belonging in an isolation ward.

It's going to be miserably cold, dirty, dusty, wet and having to deal with insane people. Great, this could not get any better, nor come at a better time, really. Sigh.

• Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

10 hours ago, Gromnir said:

am all in favor o' selling, seeing as how am planning to sell off as much as possible in the near future. however, we don't need to buy simultaneous. also, unless you really need the money, if you got a place you genuine love, am suspecting the pros v. cons analysis you do as part o' your decision regarding selling is gonna have a substantial con which needs countering, yes?

well, good luck regardless. 

HA! Good Fun!

You are right. Objectively thinking it's an asset that is at peak value. That value is only going to go down and it may be years before the opportunity to sell at this value comes again. But the big con is it's been home since 2008. A lot of good times and a few bad ones. But mostly a lot of work and upgrades. But I think if things in my personal life were not going the way they are I'd still be a hard "no" on selling. Thanks!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Tomorrow is a public holiday in SA because its our official municipal election day, yay for any public holidays 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Waiting by the door with two buckets of candy and there's not a soul on streets

I've had less than ten kiddos show up so far.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Our final tally was 5 kids.

I had much more come by, but I still have too much candy left over.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

On 10/31/2021 at 3:18 AM, majestic said:

A couple of days ago I thought my water heater got leaky because water dripped down from under it. Turned it and the water off, drained it, went looking for new ones to replace it, all that jazz. Turns out that might have been a bit premature. It's not the heater, considering the ceiling above it is now all wet and drippy. It probably was wet and drippy before, but it now reached a maginutude where it's visible.

I'd rather have to buy a new heater and have it installed than having to deal with that again. Nothing like having construction work done at home in November with all the windows and the door open, and my upstairs neighbor is, uhm, difficult to deal with, and that's me being all nice, because she's half a lose marble away from belonging in an isolation ward.

It's going to be miserably cold, dirty, dusty, wet and having to deal with insane people. Great, this could not get any better, nor come at a better time, really. Sigh.

PEY3BW.jpg

You never know when they'll strike! :yes:

@Halloween: Had approximately 400 kids come by. Live in a very small town, but the particular street I am happens to be where most of the Halloween action goes down, so kinda get caught in the crossfire because of it. Was shocked to see a number of kids in some anime-related costumes, including a few girls in Sailor Moon outfits - again, small and rural town, so that was a little unusual to me. There must be some closet weeaboos around here somewhere... My own nieces went as Mario & Luigi (don't @ me, they adore those silly plumbers, my youngest niece is always telling people she wants to be a plumber when she grows up...and/or a princess, and yes, I really do mean she's said she wanted to be a "princess plumber" before), and we saw another couple of kids that also went as them, plus a couple of Bowsers and a Peach as well. Sadly, my own favorite Mario character, Princess Daisy, was utterly unrepresented as always...what a scam, :(.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

14 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Sadly, my own favorite Mario character, Princess Daisy, was utterly unrepresented as always...what a scam, :(.

Sounds like you can remedy that with a costume for yourself next year...

...had no trick-or-treaters locally.  For years now most kids go to local stores/malls/churches to trick-or-treat. :( 

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Sounds like you can remedy that with a costume for yourself next year...

I literally nearly made that exact joke, as I originally was going to have "...maybe something I'll have to remedy next year, :dancing:" at the end of that post instead, but I thought better of it, :p.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Well I am happy to say I am officially employed again. I will no longer be a parasite living off the body of the state by drawing unemployment. Not that I had any qualms about that! A friend and former business partner has started a new company designing and building private 5G networks. He just signed me to a one year contract as a RF Performance consultant. Plus I’m buying a 10% ownership stake in the business. Our first zoom meeting is today and I will get to meet the design team. There are three design engineers and one performance guy. One of the engineers on the design team I’ve known for years. The other two I’ve never met. I have been doing a lot of reading catching up on the intricacies of n260 mmWave 5G. When I last worked  in cellular 4G LTE was just rolling out. It has come a very long way in a very short time since then. A lot of catching up to do.

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 7

Thomas Sowell

36 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Well I am happy to say I am officially employed again. I will no longer be a parasite living off the body of the state by drawing unemployment. Not that I had any qualms about that! A friend and former business partner has started a new company designing and building private 5G networks. He just signed me to a one year contract as a RF Performance consultant. Plus I’m buying a 10% ownership stake in the business. Our first zoom meeting is today and I will get to meet the design team. There are three design engineers and one performance guy. One of the engineers on the design team I’ve known for years. The other two I’ve never met. I have been doing a lot of reading catching up on the intricacies of n260 mmWave 5G. When I last worked  in cellular 4G LTE was just rolling out. It has come a very long way in a very short time since then. A lot of catching up to do.

I hear Huawei has great 5g equipment. 😄

• Haha 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I hear Huawei has great 5g equipment. 😄

LOL who needs that hassle. They are already in contract with Ericsson.

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

25 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Are these two the only players for 5G? I haven't heard about anyone else.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Are these two the only players for 5G? I haven't heard about anyone else.

Nokia , Fujitsu, and Samsung all have 5G base stations. Those are all pioneering ORAN solutions for hub to node connectivity. I think that is a great concept because you were not compelled to buy everything from a single vendor. You can actually use a Samsung spider cloud, Nokia base station, and Fujitsu radio. Ericsson however is still completely proprietary from hub to node. But because it is a hardcoded fiber-optic link it is completely secure. That is a requirement for the businesses target customer base.

• Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

When you finally have to renew your drivers license in-person (vs. mail) and you put it off and off ... and you haven't been inside one in years...

"I want to renew my license."  "Real ID?" "No."
"You need to get a number, walk past the panels, there will be green boxes, fill out a form, write the number on this piece of paper, come back here with number."
...what panels? What boxes? There is no green anywhere...
"Hi I am lost and confused..."
"Go over there where those green screens are and..."
"What green screens?"
"Over there (vaguely pointing), input your info." (a couple more vague exchanges)
"Those computer screens? (that are white and yellow, btw). Do something with those?"
...finally go back to original line with number in hand...
...guy behind booth says next, I walk up. Guy starts talking to someone else (random customer), then walks away with that person. wtf?
...I stand there for a while (the line I was in has grown long), wondering if he's coming back.

...a while later, lady at counter with very heavy accent. Everything she says I'm "What?" "What?" "What?"

To be fair, actual time spent waiting wasn't very long but j.f.c, I hate the DMV.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

20 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Was shocked to see a number of kids in some anime-related costumes, including a few girls in Sailor Moon outfits - again, small and rural town, so that was a little unusual to me. There must be some closet weeaboos around here somewhere...

Decent chance they got the idea from Crystal if that's a new thing. Scary thought, really.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Getting interviews, yes.  Then getting the email they decided to go with someone else and never getting any feedback on the interviews, not so yes.

Slogging my way through all the applications and seeing where it goes.

And none will ever respond to a polite email requesting any useful feedback on my interviews.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

22 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

The last thing you want is Huawei 5G kit, and if you do ignore all the security concerns dont complain when you wake up on day and you notice your laptop default language is Mandarin :teehee:

Let Zora keep learning Mandarin, he is fine with Huawei equipment 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela