What You've Done Today - But you… have elected… the way of… pain!

Amentep

49 minutes ago, KP Cross Split Attack said:

Why? Don't you like having your rhythm disturbed to facilitate shopping?

In a world where artificial lighting is ubiquitous and being out and about during darkness is completely natural, how exactly does Daylight Savings Time facilitate anything, let alone shopping?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

15 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

In a world where artificial lighting is ubiquitous and being out and about during darkness is completely natural, how exactly does Daylight Savings Time facilitate anything, let alone shopping?

The usual line of defense I hear for daylight savings time goes like: "I want to be able to sit outside and enjoy the sun for an hour longer after work."

Don't look at me, I don't get it. I'm as pale as a white axolotl. :p

6 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

That floating rock sounds like a totally reasonable expense. :thumbsup:

Totally, in the same way buying backing the limited signed collector's edition of Torment: Tides of Numenerea was a "reasonable" expense. ;)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

The usual line of defense I hear for daylight savings time goes like: "I want to be able to sit outside and enjoy the sun for an hour longer after work."

Don't look at me, I don't get it. I'm as pale as a white axolotl. :p

Daylight Savings is in effect from mid March to early November, at least in Murica. That's the time of the year that the northern hemisphere enjoys the most amount of sunlight. I would think that if the bull**** excuse for time traveling twice a year was to finagle schedules so that people got out of work in time to enjoy the sunlight for as long as possible then it would be most important during winter when sunlight is at a premium, which is precisely when Daylight Savings is NOT in effect.

giphy.webp

Not to mention that a sizeable portion of the workforce works 2nd shift, 3rd shift, and all sorts of wacky hours that are not 8 am to 4 pm.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

This is several days late but Daylight Savings Time needs to die in a fire.

One of the benefits of living in QLD. No daylight savings. Rest of Australia, take note!

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Daylight Savings Time was pushed by the Chamber of Commerce because they think it will make people more likely to shop.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/takeaway/segments/who-really-benefits-daylight-savings

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'm sure there were many reasons pushed for it but the one that I remember hearing about a lot was energy conservation/war + energy crisis in the 70's.  I'm not sure how effective it would be for that purpose in reality, even back when coal was a primary home heating source and candles the primary lighting.

Personally I wish they'd just get rid of it at this point.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, KP Cross Split Attack said:

Daylight Savings Time was pushed by the Chamber of Commerce because they think it will make people more likely to shop.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/takeaway/segments/who-really-benefits-daylight-savings

I imagine this is one of those things where a handful of "studies" were done in a manner that can most generously be described as pseudoscience, of which 1 came back in favor of DST, 1 against it, and 3 were inconclusive, but the folks pushing for DST ignored the against and inconclusive "studies" because confirmation bias.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Daylight Savings is in effect from mid March to early November, at least in Murica. That's the time of the year that the northern hemisphere enjoys the most amount of sunlight. I would think that if the bull**** excuse for time traveling twice a year was to finagle schedules so that people got out of work in time to enjoy the sunlight for as long as possible then it would be most important during winter when sunlight is at a premium, which is precisely when Daylight Savings is NOT in effect.

In winter, it's cold outside, so they don't want to go outside anyway. This really is just about lush spring and summer evenings.

I've always hated DST for as long as I can remember. Particularily in summer, because who wants sunlight until eleven when you're a kid and have to go to bed early? :p

Im body isnt affected in the slightest by a 1 hour shift in either direction. But I do have to reset the clocks on my oven and microwave and they must be perfectly synchronized. :lol: I wish they had WiFi too so they would just update themselves like every other device in my house.

• Like 1

Dear sock makers - you already wrap them in adhesive paper circles, so could ya please stop tightly piercing the stacks with those tiny plastic things that get caught in the threads when you're trying to freaking remove them, fraying/weakening half the socks?

Thanks.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^ I'm #TeamNoSocks and #TeamNoPants. Luckily, where I live I can go sans socks and sans pants roughly 9 months of the year and when driving the truck it's pretty much always shorts and flip flops. Even if I'm driving through Minnesota in January; I'll get bundled up to go outside, but as soon as I'm back in the cab I immediately strip down to flip flops, shorts, and t-shirt.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

and when driving the truck it's pretty much always shorts and flip flops.

Hubby drives with no shoes or flip flops a lot, because of his large feet I guess. He'll put shoes on before leaving the car etc.

As a kid I certainly went barefoot/flip flops a lot.
As an adult ... I can't stand dirty feet that leave dirty footprints everywhere and I have to rinse off every time I want to sit in bed or anything of that nature.  Or when I had them - cat hair feet. 😛 So I'm the weirdo that may be stark naked around the house but still wearing socks (slippers in most of the house, but kick them off in bedroom doorway or chairs).

I probably have 5 dozen pairs of socks.

• Haha 1

Contemplating on the next big 3D print / cosplay project. Giving thought to doing a full Mandalorian armour set.  Of course, it's all just initial plans for the moment, I'm not going to make a proper start on it until I get somewhere on the job hunt...

Still, a couple of fresh interviews coming up so we shall see how they go.

The job hunt process has certainly highlighted the perils with having spent 26 months working in a slightly  niche / focused company. It means that basically every next job you go for afterwards is considered a different sector, and as such you get feedback from interviews of "You showed us the relevant skills, but we have other people with those skills and some experience in our sector already so we've picked them..."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Started mentally preparing myself for having a guest staying at my place for a while... from mid December to sometime mid January. No stranger, on the contrary, a very close friend. But two years of lock downs, border closures, separation means we've only met virtually on face time and phone the last almost two years. Very much looking forward to it ☺️

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

12 hours ago, Gorth said:

Started mentally preparing myself for having a guest staying at my place for a while... from mid December to sometime mid January. No stranger, on the contrary, a very close friend. But two years of lock downs, border closures, separation means we've only met virtually on face time and phone the last almost two years. Very much looking forward to it ☺️

Great decision, after the lockdowns I have really come to appreciate spending time with real friends and spending time with family

We tend to take things like " seeing friends "  for granted and so well done for doing this 🍻

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

...took some bags full of minor "stuffs" and my mom's old couch and spent yesterday at the new house. Apparently I'm not so old that I can't still lift/carry one end of a couch.  *flexes arms*
...they left a fridge (it'll go in the garage, I like ours better), washer/dryer, and hey look, free silverware and lots o' other mom-era kitchen helpers!
...hubby puttering around current house with an ever increasing list of "small things to do before we could rent it." (new garage doors, replacing some roof seals/gutter work and other such things).

Hubby: "I'm going to remove that old/useless roof satellite TV dish from the roof."
Me: "So if I hear a giant thud ..."
Hubby: "Just ignore it."
Me: "You realize I was talking about your old-man rear-end, not the dish."
Hubby: "Just ignore it."
Me: "Okie dokie."

Yesterday I had a 10k race for Veteran's Day. Running has been very hard over the last couple months. I was dealing with a hip impingement and recently started physical therapy for it. I've actually only been back to regular run training for about 2 weeks, so I had low expectations going into the race. I had not run more than a 5k in about 6 weeks. 

But thankfully the race went amazing! I went out fast at a 6:30 pace, and was side by side with one of my run buddies the whole time. He's a strong runner and had won the even in 2019, so I figured I'd just see how long I could ride his tail. It got a bit harder after the 3-mile mark, but I was able to stick around and beat my buddy in the final sprint. I ended up with a 6:45 average pace and finished in just under 42 minutes. I got 4th place. 

It felt so good to be back out in a race that I signed my wife and I up for an Ironman 70.3 even in April. We will be racing in Oceanside around Camp Pendleton.  

• Like 3

Whoever designed the Android user “experience” needs to be used as proof of concept for the viability of bamboo torture. 

That is all. 

edit: Yikes, calmed down a little. My father bought a new phone, and it's... yeah. Really. Say what you will of Apple and their insane policies, switching from one device to the next is seamless, easy and just works. Meanwhile on Crapdroid... :x

Edited by majestic

I ordered my tickets to AEW at the Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro NC. I've seen AEW twice in Charlotte, but I'm super excited to make the 2 hour drive northeast for the show. The Greensboro Coliseum has a storied rasslin' tradition hosting some of the biggest events for Jim Crockett Promotions, including the first 4 Starrcades, the original supershow that predates Wrestlemania. I sadly didn't get to attend any of those shows, so getting to see AEW there on December 22nd will be the next best thing.

The next day I'll be driving down to Florida to my folks for X-Mas.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

last time we saw mass media wrestling which interested us and were not ncaa or olympic were when louden swain and brian shute met.

Spoiler

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

45 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

but your recent posts have got me sneaking WWE Raw on the side

I'm so sorry. :shifty:

I keed, I keef, if you like WWE Raw, that's great. I haven't been a fan of Raw in quite a few years. Of the 2 main WWE shows I like Smackdown more. Then again, I haven't attempted to watch Raw in a good while, so for all I know it could be terrific right now.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Last time I tried to watch WWE wrestling, all I saw was WWE wrestlers talking at one another for an interminable amount of time.

I hear AEW has its moments, but that it also has its share of silly.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Ok so I got my mining rig setup and I make a whopping....10 USD per day, on a 3090, maxed out OC at 122 mh/s

... perhaps there's better mining software out there than Ethermine, and It's some gas money, but it appears all these rumors that you could made at least $35/d were a bit unfounded.

It is kind of addicting though watching the hashrate grinding and accumualted Ether go up, albeit slowly so perhaps I'll keep tinkering with different software and see if there's better options.  As long as you're having fun, the sky's the limit.

Edited by ComradeYellow