Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Worries

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Chairchucker

Chairchucker

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm not really a fan of the writing for Kills in Shadows, but I think that's more of a reflection on my reaction to the writing for beastmen in general. I like both Bleden Mark and Xoti.

• Big-Ben likes this

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't want to trivialize the original post, but the angst because of one writer on the project just seems... unwarranted. I'm sure there will be deficiencies in the writing at times, like there are in just about every game I've ever played. I'll probably find little grammatical errors I either find irritating or humorous. If it's like the games I've played from the designers in this little niche market, I'll probably find some real gems in there also. I didn't play much of Tyranny myself. I had virtually no time to spend on it when it hit the shelves, so I don't know about this Shadow guy or the amazon bondage chick or whoever else Stark writes. I have a skill that has been absolutely vital over the years. I won't be too terribly worked up even if there are some characters, quests, or descriptions I don't like. If the gameplay is good and there are some stories that I enjoy, I won't mind the uneven moments when I'm rolling my eyes or furrowing my brow or both at the same time. I just keep in mind that I'm nothing more than a talentless hack and these guys make a living out of their writing.

I'm pretty hyped about this game. Not gonzo chomping at the bit excited. Just run of the mill looking forward to what I expect to be a fun game. If I had some grounds for thinking I wouldn't like it, I wouldn't be worried. I might argue about with people online. More likely, I'd just ignore it. ...But my days of being worried about a game pretty much ended a long time ago. I lurked in a forum following this game called the Black Hound and it got canceled. Ever since, I try to take it all in stride.
  • Jozape, GreenShirtGirl, draego and 4 others like this

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4632 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Guys, I think you have misunderstood this thread. It's clearly a meta joke.

OP: That girl is, like, so gross.
Everyone else: What? Why?
OP: She writes, like, at high school level or something.
Everyone else: Can you give some examples.
OP: *leaves and goes to complain to her friends how nobody gets her*

Edited by kirottu, 17 December 2018 - 11:29 AM.

• Jozape, soft black stars, Eelectrica and 4 others like this

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 800 posts
Well, I hope the writing and dialogue options are more entertaining in the meat of the game. The demo felt pretty placeholder and the story is anything but inspiring in it's evil corp redundancy. Of course, the execution could render that complaint more null than void.
  • Michael_Galt likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm worried too but not about the writing and not even really about it being first person only (though that is part of the reason). I'm worried about how well it'll stack up next to bigger named and budgeted (first person action adventure RPGish) titles that it's sure to be compared to... and I really hope it comes out well before Cyberpunk. 

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4760 posts

What, second place to Cyberpunk isn't a good place to be ? How often does a proper RPG come along.  

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Not a 'worry' per se. Now that we're speaking generally about worries, would say rather than worry about the story, I hope it doesn't boil down to hackneyed "evilcorps capitalists are bad!" I'm with Blodhemn entirely on that. To be clear, I don't mind it if a corporation is bad in a game, although it's been kind of overdone, but I would rather that it be a bit more nuanced with intelligent arguments made on all sides. On the other hand, I'm not looking for the chef d'oeuvre of a generation. If there's murder, mayhem, and maybe a decision tree, it's all good. I'd like another New Vegas, built without Bethesda's cursed blessing, but I'll take what I can get.

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not really what I meant. I want Obs to succeed but I have some doubts that are (obviously) nebulous at the moment

the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-i30592.jpg

Maybe I'll feel better after more info and gameplay comes out

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer

Anyone who wrote for Tyranny is a winner in my book.

Have I mentioned my book is a collection of crude jokes?

• Big-Ben likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not a 'worry' per se. Now that we're speaking generally about worries, would say rather than worry about the story, I hope it doesn't boil down to hackneyed "evilcorps capitalists are bad!" I'm with Blodhemn entirely on that. To be clear, I don't mind it if a corporation is bad in a game, although it's been kind of overdone, but I would rather that it be a bit more nuanced with intelligent arguments made on all sides. On the other hand, I'm not looking for the chef d'oeuvre of a generation. If there's murder, mayhem, and maybe a decision tree, it's all good. I'd like another New Vegas, built without Bethesda's cursed blessing, but I'll take what I can get.

I hope they save the worst of the evil corp stuff for Obsidian's Shadowrun game which I have convinced myself is inevitable since I doubt they'll be working on the White Wolf IP now.

No, you say?

giphy.gif

:p

• Tale likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I hope they save the worst of the evil corp stuff for Obsidian's Shadowrun game which I have convinced myself is inevitable since I doubt they'll be working on the White Wolf IP now.

No, you say?

(edit)

:p

am now having difficulty not picturing shady front row and center for a call concert.

you hold onto your faith. will weather the storm with faith.

HA! Good Fun!

ps edited image to reduce clutter

Edited by Gromnir, 18 December 2018 - 01:34 PM.

• ShadySands likes this

Epaminondas

Epaminondas

(4) Theurgist

• Validating
  • 277 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
That's a great song. Used in the Lost Boys soundtrack, which was better than the movie. Let's hope the best thing about Outer Worlds isn't the soundtrack.

lowdegger

lowdegger

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Steam:cz27

I like [...] Xoti.

I don't expect Virginia Woolf or Ursula K. le Guin to be writing the prose in CRPGs, but I do expect the writing to be basically competent. For example, rather than have your character say "not that I'd be jealous" when the person over whom she is jealous is someone she's just met, you choose one of the many perfectly obvious involuntary human gestures or expressions by which we all know that a person experiencing a strong emotion will, if they are not skilled at concealing it, give her or himself away. When someone this bad at the very basics of their job is promoted within a company, you know that criteria quite different from competence are at work in the selection process. I don't claim to know what they are, only that they must be there.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
LOL Oh my.
  • Ethics Gradient and LittleAmadillo0 like this

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1607 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

LOL Oh my.

Nailed it.  I feel like this is the only appropriate response to this thread.  :p

• Big-Ben, Wormerine, SonicMage117 and 1 other like this

uuuhhii

uuuhhii

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 387 posts

the one wrote xoti?

that lighthearted and slightly crude style was a perfect fit for new fallout(outer world)

just need a little more crazy and 1970

daven

daven

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 677 posts

Xoti is an annoying prick.

• AeonsLegend and Sanjid099 like this

jonathansanity

jonathansanity

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
Oida

Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1607 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

For what it's worth, the Deadfire team was recently nominated by the Writers Guild of America for Outstanding Achievement in Video Game Writing, and many of those same people are working on The Outer Worlds.

Everyone is still free to form their own opinions, but among professional writers, the narrative team at Obsidian seems well-regarded.

• Achilles, ShadySands, soft black stars and 6 others like this

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2341 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What, second place to Cyberpunk isn't a good place to be ? How often does a proper RPG come along.  

Well they certainly don't want to launch in the same quarter. Reception wise it would be great if they get recommended off of each other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users