RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

Blarghagh

I've heard good things about Black Desert Online though. I didn't dig the style, but maybe they'll do right by EVE.

EVE was doing ok under CCP in my opinion, maybe even because their monetasitation scheme, don't see need to change it

The game was 15 years old, and they've failed to launch anything else of note during that time. My guess is their money is slowly running out and they needed to do something. 

I just hope SWTOR goes back to trait trees or moves forward with something other than what they have now but I've already complained enough about that in the SWTOR thread. Anyways, they have some new stuff coming out before the end of the year.

Also, one of the other MMOs I occasionally log in to, LOTRO, may be getting some competition in the next few year in the form of a new Tolkien MMO

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I just hope SWTOR goes back to trait trees or moves forward with something other than what they have now but I've already complained enough about that in the SWTOR thread. Anyways, they have some new stuff coming out before the end of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcfQFv18qGA

Also, one of the other MMOs I occasionally log in to, LOTRO, may be getting some competition in the next few year in the form of a new Tolkien MMO

If only we could get something more akin to the original non-Jedi version of Star Wars Galaxies.

Edited by Vitalis

"We are beyond proud to announce that THQ Nordic has acquired the Kingdoms of Amalur IP among other assets from 38 Studios." -THQ Nordic

In other words, expect a new Kingdoms Of Amular game very VERY soon ;)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Huh, well it was a neat universe, so I'd play another Amular game.

As for the new Tolkien MMO, I won't hold my breath. LoTRO was released at the height of the MMO genre by a studio that was at the top of its game. I doubt a f2p attempt by an unknown studio in Hong Kong is going to get anywhere near the original.

edit: Also must be cured, the TOR video did nothing for me. :p

Edited by Hurlshot

Forgot to post my source:

Of ciurse you can find the info on THQ's website as well.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Heh, GameSpot gave the DOS2 console version a 10/10, that's pretty neat given how it's basically a niche game and I always had my doubts about bringing these kinds of games to consoles. I mean, I heard the DOS console port was pretty good, but it's still nice to see this kind of enthusiasm from a mainstream review site.

I also liked Kingdoms of Amalur, though I have yet to finish it. Another one of the (rather long by now) list of games I started but never finished.

Afaik 38Studios was also working on a rather promising MMO project (which iiuc is what bankrupted the studio), so maybe we'll be seeing something there as well? I definitely wouldn't mind a new MMORPG that focuses on those last three letters and doesn't shy away from some systems complexity.

https://youtu.be/Lt9LvFp3rpg

Heh, GameSpot gave the DOS2 console version a 10/10, that's pretty neat given how it's basically a niche game and I always had my doubts about bringing these kinds of games to consoles. I mean, I heard the DOS console port was pretty good, but it's still nice to see this kind of enthusiasm from a mainstream review site.

I also liked Kingdoms of Amalur, though I have yet to finish it. Another one of the (rather long by now) list of games I started but never finished.

Afaik 38Studios was also working on a rather promising MMO project (which iiuc is what bankrupted the studio), so maybe we'll be seeing something there as well? I definitely wouldn't mind a new MMORPG that focuses on those last three letters and doesn't shy away from some systems complexity.

Iirc the head of the studio was former baseball player Kurt Schilling, and he got in trouble with the state over loans causing the studio to be shut down or something along those lines.

I never liked the game because it was written by R.A. Salvatore.

Edited by Vitalis
  • Like 1

I never liked the game because it was written by R.A. Salvatore.

Huh, thought that was one of the better things it had going. 

As an aside, apparently Salavatore didn't get paid for his work on the game. He was owed 2 million and they went belly up before that was paid. He decided not to sue.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/interviews/12450-Curt-Schilling-Did-Nothing-Wrong-at-38-Studios-Salvatore-Says 

Edit: I haven't read Salvatore in 20 years, but I remember his books being fun and easy adventures to read. Seems perfect for a video game writer.

Edited by Hurlshot

Has anyone actually finished KoA: Reckoning? I tried playing it 3 times and have up due to boredom each time. The longest I lasted was about 5 hours. I'm not sure Ive met anyone that has actually completed the game.

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I wouldn't say I gave up to boredom, but I couldn't give you a better idea of why I did give up. Apathy? Like I don't remember what was even going on with the story and definitely recall feeling like there was no motivation.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Has anyone actually finished KoA: Reckoning? I tried playing it 3 times and have up due to boredom each time. The longest I lasted was about 5 hours. I'm not sure Ive met anyone that has actually completed the game.

Exactly, the dialogue started and I immediatly eye rolled realizing it was all of Salvatore's work. It doesn't get any better from there.

Even the people that sing its praises have never finished it.

I can hold my hand up and say I completed it.

It had some fun moments in it, but I also have to say I can't actually remember the specifics of them now.

It wasn't a bad game, it wasn't great, but at the time it was a generic mostly fun, that turned into a bit of a grind at some point.

• Like 5

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have completed Amalur.

Including both DLCs.

131 Hours according to Steam.

As marelooke said, the elven factions were the most interesting. So it had a neat start and a neat end (since that is when you went to the evil court's lands), with a rather dull middle. The DLC were quite fun, though The Teeth caused performance issues... must have been a memory leak or something.

I keep insisting that the Widow was well written. Her contrarian nature to the elven courts and in time her unwelcoming attitude towards human neighbours came across well.

• Like 5

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I can hold my hand up and say I completed it.

It had some fun moments in it, but I also have to say I can't actually remember the specifics of them now.

It wasn't a bad game, it wasn't great, but at the time it was a generic mostly fun, that turned into a bit of a grind at some point.

Same here. Completed the game and (a year or two later) both DLC.

The class ("Fate"/card thing?) system was quite interesting and finishing QTEs were actually well implemented (except that the weapon used did not depend on the currently used). Also the combat and stealth were really enjoyable. On the downside, I guess, there were too many side quests, areas and named NPCs (The Elder Scrolls-like) and I can't remember much about the main story line.

• Like 1