Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

All of the movies have been entertaining in their own right.

I wouldn't say that, Episodes 2, 7 and 8 are pretty lackluster in that area for me, the most former being downright painful to watch again :)
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

All of the movies have been entertaining in their own right.

I wouldn't say that, Episodes 2, 7 and 8 are pretty lackluster in that area for me, the most former being downright painful to watch again :)

Why in the world would you watch them again? :p

Why in the world would you watch them again? :p

Well TV channels here show them during long weekends as filler, I occasionally work Canadian holidays so is something to pass the time. Last Boxing Day I watched Ep 1-3 while "working". Did get some more respect for Ep 1, but 2 was so painful.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The only prequel I only saw once was the third one and it probably benefits from that since I'd rank it as my favorite of the bunch. On the flip side TLJ was the only new one I've only seen once and I have no desire to see it a second time. TPM is still my least favorite but now I'm old and wise enough to not re-watch movies that I didn't enjoy the first time... usually.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Since we're talking one of my favorite subjects

Also

Deadpool 2 has now become the 3rd highest grossing R rated film of all time behind the first one and I think one of the Matrixes... Matrices? Matroxen? Matreese? Matrix movies.

Nu Trek is the one thing I most intensely disagree with Mike. Granted, I agree with their assessment that Into Darkness is a mess of a movie, but when I look at the Star Trek 2009 Plinkett review or their Beyond Half in the Bag I get the distinct feeling that he's fanboy-excusing elements of suck from the movies that he utterly hated in the TNG ones.

The Discovery re:Views he's done with Rich are also in that vein. He knows that Discovery sucks as Star Trek but he's desperate enough to excuse it. At least for now. Rich on the other hand claims he's done with the show. Which would be bad because I enjoy them talking about Trek. :)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

George Lucas was pretty much always terrible. JJ is where it's at. It seems the newer Star Trek's are closer to the originals.

Jar Jar's Star Trek is simply put terrible Star Trek - and if there's one thing these movies are not, it's close to the originals - unless you base all of Star Trek on Wrath of Khan, which is still a much better movie than Star Trek or Into Darkness will ever be.

JJ was pretty open about really wanting to do SW rather than ST. Ironically Rian Johnson was probably a lot better suited to ST rather than SW based on TLJ. The ST movies were also a bit of a warning to Disney/ LA: Into Derpness did decently at the box office despite being largely hated, its successor on the other hand copped the backlash despite being far better and generally liked by the fans who watched it. How much of the TLJ hate is real or apparent is an open question, but I don't think there's real doubt that it influenced Solo's poor performance.

And while you don't expect high art from Star Wars or to a lesser extent Star Trek and you shouldn't expect an oscar nominated soliloquy from Sir Larry Olivier about the unbearable agony of exposure to abraded silica particles, if you accept bad writing and bad plotting just because it's __ and has the pew pew and technobabble then bad writing and plotting is all you will ever get. It isn't that hard to write logically rather than, say, deus ex machina Holdo's kamikaze as if that wouldn't have solved every other space battle in SW as well (sheesh, just have Vader get a light speed kamikaze on the blockade runner in ANH, a rebel ship light speed kamikaze Death Star I etc etc) and couldn't have been suggested by anyone with basic physics knowledge. At least do something with a decent immediate reason for not being used all the time.

• Like 1

Except it isn't really bad writing or bad plotting unless you spend time thinking about it. Most people go to the movies, enkoy their two hours of entertainment, and never look back. Even discussing it here is way more than the vast majority of movie goers bother with.

And really that is what I go into movies trying to do. 2 hours to hopefully be entertained by good acting, or humor, or bright visuals. I will leave the dissections up to the film school students.

Also I don't really remember the 2nd ST being skewered. Maybe in ST circles it was, but in general I thought it was recieved as a typical summer popcorn action flick.

Every time a read about the kamikaze frigate move from TLJ I can't help to remind people that in RotJ the big ass imperial ship is destroyed by a simple A-Wing crashing into it.

SW has always been about dramatic scenes and logic shouldn't apply more than the necessary, that doesn't mean that something can't be "wrong" or out of place (Rebels spoiler

like that awful time&space thing happened at the end of the show)

but rarely is something that breaks the immersion for the spectator and if it doesn't it's usually ok.

Edited by Daled
  • Like 2

A while ago I watched 'Westworld' starring Yul Brynner and liked it a whole lot. I guess now it is time to watch 'Futureworld' which is a direct sequel to Westworld and I'll be damned...Yul Brynner is in it!

Didn't knew the fella was a Russian dude.

R.I.P Yul Brynner.

Skip FutureWorld... Unless you liked Highlander 2.  Westworld was a superb one-shot.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

The more we see of the new Bumblebee movie, the more we agree that this will be the first meaningful Transformers movie we get. Hell, so far all of them had an amazing story but ruined by bad acting and wrong character designations. That seems remedied now.

P.S

Futureworld was decent, much better than the critics are selling it for but then again, they're not post-apocalyptic fans like me so it's sorta the same as expecting non-comic fans to love Marvel stuff or scaredy-cats to love horror.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Every time a read about the kamikaze frigate move from TLJ I can't help to remind people that in RotJ the big ass imperial ship is destroyed by a simple A-Wing crashing into it.

"it's a trap concentrate all fire on the command cruiser!"-- Admiral Allahu Ackbar, Battle of Endor, RotJ. They also show the shield generators being shot out before the A wing crashes; and the Executor a 5 9 13 25km long ship crashing into DS 2 does basically nothing to it. The physics of the kamikaze is fine anyway, it's it not being the go to tactic for any situation that is the problem. The Clone Wars should have ended in five minutes with droid ships simply kamikazing everything and anything that moved.

Except it isn't really bad writing or bad plotting unless you spend time thinking about it. Most people go to the movies, enkoy their two hours of entertainment, and never look back. Even discussing it here is way more than the vast majority of movie goers bother with (..)

Also I don't really remember the 2nd ST being skewered. Maybe in ST circles it was, but in general I thought it was recieved as a typical summer popcorn action flick.

A ST or SW movie still relies on its fanbase for a lot, especially word of mouth. A lack of enthusiasm from the fanbase results in a lack of chatter and things like the almost stealth releases of Solo and ST Beyond. TLJ got very good critic reactions (and STID decent) but I think everyone would accept that it was polarising to the fanbase, the argument being how polarising and how much Solo's performance (or Beyond's) was backlash to the predecessor.

I actually enjoyed Into Derpness well enough since I caught it late enough to know what to expect and due to Cederic Crumbleplot and Robocop hamming it up unremittingly, but I'm not a massively strong ST fan.

In general though, there's no need to have gaping plot holes in any story telling medium and if they are there then the writers have simply not done their job properly- doesn't matter whether it's Shakespeare or not. In terms of actual plot holes in the other SW movies I can come up with some (un/)lucky happenstances and scales being off eg in ESB (how long does it take to get from Hoth to Cloud City, etc) and they can be handwaved easily enough. With that TLJ one though as above it's a win button for every single space battle in the series; past, present, or future. SW is basically Space Opera/ Space Fantasy, but even fantasy has to have some consistent rules to protect suspension of disbelief.

Still better than the early 80's animated one...

*cringe*

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Still better than the early 80's animated one...

*cringe*

Say what you will, but at least the animated movie knew what it was and to whom it was aimed at. I'll defer to Kermode on the Bay films:

Though this is really a tallest dwarf competition. If Bumblebee turns out to be the best Transformers film ever, it merely overcame a *very* low bar.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

The next Transformer's could be a Citizen Kane and I still wouldn't see it.

I wouldn't either, Citizen Kane wasn't that good of a movie.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, it's not a bad film and I do own it bit who exactly do you think the live action films are for? As far as I know, the franchise was always made for kids who play with toys, that's not really any different for the new films and there was never really a specific fanbase that Transformers was made to cater. It has always been pretty unfocused and always changing. The animated series wasn't even sure about itself though, since everything else was taking it's thunder at the time.

The one thing that puts the animated movie negatively comparably to the modern movies is the poor animation which is brought about by the horrid frame-rate. And being a long time fan of the series, it's quite annoying when people try to excuse it by saying "Well technology was limited then" and then complain about low framerates in games. There was no excuse but alas, fandom I guess.

But at least the new Bumblebee movie gets the original character designs right, where even the animated series seemed to screw up not after long. The best thing that ever happened to Transformers, truly, was Beast Wars, that was the highest point for the franchise and I can only hope Beast Wars will come back (I know it will in some form or another).

But also...

Quite strange that the Cybertron games were so great.

The more we see of the new Bumblebee movie, the more we agree that this will be the first meaningful Transformers movie we get. Hell, so far all of them had an amazing story but ruined by bad acting and wrong character designations. That seems remedied now.

hahaohwow, etc.

• Like 3

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That's the kind of thing you write when you want people to put quotes of you in their signatures, only for the completely wrong reasons.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Skip FutureWorld... Unless you liked Highlander 2. Westworld was a superb one-shot.

It wasn't as good as Westworld but I still enjoyed the awesome 70's vibe.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

That's the kind of thing you write when you want people to put quotes of you in their signatures, only for the completely wrong reasons.

Except for the fact that they cut out some of the context which completely alters what I said....

The part that they left out is the most important part too, irony but this is the forums after all, I would expect no less.

Except for the fact that they cut out some of the context which completely alters what I said....

The part that they left out is the most important part too, irony but this is the forums after all, I would expect no less.

Is that better?

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: