Cinema Paradise - the Movie Thread Transformed

Amentep

That's the kind of thing you write when you want people to put quotes of you in their signatures, only for the completely wrong reasons.

Except for the fact that they cut out some of the context which completely alters what I said....

The part that they left out is the most important part too, irony but this is the forums after all, I would expect no less.

Is that better?

You didn't have to lol But thank you <3

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Skip FutureWorld... Unless you liked Highlander 2. Westworld was a superb one-shot.

It wasn't as good as Westworld but I still enjoyed the awesome 70's vibe.

IMO Futureworld has a number of problems with it.  Yul Brynner really shouldn't have been in it (his dream sequence serves no point) and the story itself is kind of half-baked.

Its okay if you like 70s sci-fi, it has a lot of that look and vibe; its more LOGAN'S RUN feel than WESTWORLD though.  I've watched it a few times and its enjoyable in its way, but its not really a patch on Westworld.

I'd also recommend skiping the TV Show BEYOND WESTWORLD unless you're a fan of James McMullan or Connie Sellica.  Or unless you want to see a show where the meglomaniacal villain goes from working with dozens of robots out of his TV-Budget James Bond Lair in the beginning to working with a single hinch-robot out of a Winnebego by the end.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Watched Tau. It's being trashed by critics but apart from a strangely disjointed beginning it's quite okay. Gary Oldman manages to outact the remaining cast while being only a triangle on a wall. Heh.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

The problem with all these new Cyberpunk movies is that they all feel the same... No real point of the story, no real feeling. It's as if they said "We know that the Cyberpunk theme is getting more popular right now, especially with the sex robots surfacing so let's just push out movies because we know kids will get excited about them".

There are so many and they're either similar rehash or different but boring.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Oh, I thought we were just talking about movies given the thread. Didn't know about Mute though.

Yeah, the genre needed a comeback but there is only so much you can do with it that hasn't already been done. The originators explored most of what there was to be had. I'm also a bit tired of this "Outrun" 80's Retry flanderization of cyberpunk that seems so popular. I think there are other stylizations that could be explored, which would hopefully make projects on a future from where we are today, not where we were in the 80's. Also many people act like 90's cyberpunk wasn't a thing and largely ignore some of it's greatest contributions.

Plus, and I'll shut up. Plus, the genre has become less rigorous in it's philosophy. It doesn't really pull from the bleeding vision of technology and science as it once did. Once again a lot of it just asks the same old questions.

I just recently finished Altered Carbon and I really liked how it didn't focus much on the future, all the characters were well acclimated to their surroundings. So it mostly just explored what life would be like, and what personal stories might play out in it's world. Which was quite refreshing. The most you got was this novel idea of turning down resurrection on account of religious beliefs.

Other than Bladerunner what cyberpunk moves have there been?

Too many to count, there's so many on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Showbox and that have been in theater.

I brought it up because I was watchimg youtube trailers and one of the most anticipated movies for 2019 is a cyberpunk movie, I wasn't really paying attention because it looked boring. I'd rather see The House With A Clock In The Walls which looks horrible but at least it's unique.

Edited by SonicMage117

Fututeworld was good and this looks like it will be GREAT. Keep making up for Fury Road! This year just keeps getting better :)

Edited by SonicMage117

Well... almost two months left until the next supposed release date. It was supposed to be out half a year ago. Well, and a lot earlier as well. Delays, delays...

At any rate, Dinosaurs, Hitler and the Hollow Earth theory. Color me excited, the first one was a hoot and a half. :)

• Like 1

Other than Bladerunner what cyberpunk moves have there been?

I can't think of many recent cyberpunk movies either

Bladerunner, Ghost in the Shell, Mute... and those aren't very samey and only one was any good. Altered Carbon is a series and even if you include it i think it's different enough from the rest. Maybe if you include B movies, YA, and animated stuff I've never heard of. I'm not trying to prove SM117 wrong, I'm genuinely interested in the genre and looking for movies I could have missed.

I saw the Hitman's Bodyguard last night. I had no interest in it when it came out but I found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would and it had some cool action sequences.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Here's a couple new omes I ran across today browsing YouTube. I don't really search for movies, I kinda stumble on them om autoplay mostly.

^A couple other ones

^This is the most cyberpunk out of all of them

Otherlife was great. May not really be Cyberpunk looking but still cyberpunk none the less. It's about hacking your brain through a drug that's made in the future by a female hacker. You'd literally have to watch it to know because the trailer doesn't explain or show too much.

Yes, I did see Ready: Player One. I thought it sucked quite frankly. It was a blast of modern logistics buried by nostalgia. It really didn't have a point and I found the acting and writing to be poor - However, what I loved is seeing iconic characters from past movies and video games... and that's about it.

Edit: Devs and mods plz excuse my number of postings, it seems the forum limits me to 2 preview boxes per comment :(

Edited by SonicMage117

The limit exists to prevent people from spamming a topic with a ton of videos, so maybe choose the best two and stick with that.

What makes that any different from being able to spam as many high resolution images as you want?

The limit exists to prevent people from spamming a topic with a ton of videos, so maybe choose the best two and stick with that.

The problem is that if I only posted 2, people here probably wouldn't believe me. They asked so I gave them, actually what posted wasn't even much. There was something almost 30 big budget Cyberpunk movies released and yet to release this year alone. Problem is, like I said, they aren't very good abd that's probably why avid Sci-Fi fans like myself are hard to come by then if not accidental.

On the other hand,

I got a chance to see TAU last night and it seemed like a copy of an indie film that came out last year called Infinity Chamber:

https://youtu.be/31e7WWWiODQ

Speaking of Steve Carols, he is also doing a really sad movie called Beautiful Boy on Amazon Prime Video

It looka so sad.... :(

Loved him in The Office by the way, along with Bernie.

I'm not sure I care all that much about a whole nother movie of this 'world,' although I'm sure I'll rent it since I saw the other two...but still ...

*dies of cuteness overload*

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nightfury is the best dragon character in existence. Even Smaug dwindles in comparison.