RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Blarghagh

Let's see how this goes. Though I did have a good time with DA: I, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least mildly disappointed that it didn't turn out to be the return to form I had hoped it to be. That said for all the issues the Mako had in Mass Effect 1, I thought the series was worse for it when they got rid of those segments wholesale rather than improve on it (and replaced it with the far more tedious planet scanning), so I'm glad they brought it back.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 6
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I agree about the Mako.  BioWare took negative response to the Mako the wrong way and scrapped the Mako altogether in ME2 instead of fixing something that was a good idea just really poorly implemented.  The reason the planet exploration in ME1 was so bad was because it was repetitive, uninteresting (after the second or third planet visited once you found out it was going to be pretty much exactly the same every time), and, most of all, the Mako was one of the worst handling vehicles ever created in a video game (probably not, but hyperbole for the hyperbole gods and all that).  Rather than adding more variety to planet exploration missions and giving you a land rover that didn't handle like complete and utter garbage, Bio instead replaced it with something even worse (scanning).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The gameplay looks fun in the new Andromeda trailer. Not sure how the story will turn out to be though. I am not impressed with the setting and the story so far. The new baddie reminded me of

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

this looks too much like Witcher 3 in space, to be honest I don't like the look of this

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Let's see how this goes. Though I did have a good time with DA: I, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least mildly disappointed that it didn't turn out to be the return to form I had hoped it to be. That said for all the issues the Mako had in Mass Effect 1, I thought the series was worse for it when they got rid of those segments wholesale rather than improve on it (and replaced it with the far more tedious planet scanning), so I'm glad they brought it back.

I wish they'd bring back (near)unlimited ammo. It does'nt make any sense to me that they removed that for all weapons when they had a system that removed the need for an ammo supply line for the need of one. Sure some weapons would have to be reloaded in some way, big guns, rockets and what not.

this looks too much like Witcher 3 in space, to be honest I don't like the look of this

You learn from the masters, and if you can't learn; Rip them off. :)

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Is that the default female protagonist? She's ugly as sin.

I liked the non expression as she snatched the gun off that goon.

It does look like Witcher 3 in space. Shudder to think at what the download size would be.

Animations will be polished up.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-12-02-mass-effect-andromeda-developers-reassure-fans-after-trailer-sparks-animation-concerns

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They added witcher senses, which is a feature I'd like to see in more games. So a point in their favor.

Mass Effect: Andromeda looks not so good to me. I was expecting dragon Age: Inquisition in space and with guns. This trailer made it feel just like that. Animations are bad, graphics looked so-so, I cringed at the dialog. We'll see how this goes. I did complete Inquisition, but that was during a period when I wanted to play online MMOs and didn't have the time to commit. Now I have guild Wars 2 that I play when I want the MMO itch to go away.

• Like 1

I'd expect an anti-tamper scheme to be more active than just hoping no one reverse engineers your .exe's. Heck, by your definition, I don't think a compiler meets the critertia of "Anti-tamper software (or tamper-resistant software) is software which makes it harder for an attacker to modify it."

Closed source stuff is usually to just hide trade secrets (well some of them anyway) rather than worrying about people modifying your application - and if they do, it's not really your problem. I've had that with customers in old jobs - joys of DBs, I guess. I'd be surprised if developers would come out and slam their third party vendor, well, unless they are the one that made the call to use it, kind of a bad play, really. I'd be more inclined to listen to the offense in terms of figuring out what it does, bit of sifting.

Closing your source is to stop people from tampering with it. Whatever reason you have for doing so has **** all to do with anything.

It's not my definition, but feel free to provide a better definition of anti tamper.

---

To the annoying mod: go smoke something in your ****ed up country instead, you're adding nothing.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I completely forgot about The Game Awards, not that I would have watched them anyway.  Did anyone watch them?  How awful were they?  More importantly, any cool trailers debut there?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Mass Effect: Andromeda looks not so good to me. I was expecting dragon Age: Inquisition in space and with guns. 

TBH, theme of exploring other planets does sound a fair bit more interesting to me than theme of exploring Fantasy World #1005, even if execution is not particularly better than it was in Inquisition. We'll se what we end up getting I suppose.

why?

haven't answered the fundamental question.  why would folks leave the milky way? running out of habitable planets and planets capable o' being made habitable, seems mighty unlikely.  100-400 BILLION stars in milky way, and only a mind bogglingly small fraction o' those has got mass effect relays.

perhaps in the andromeda setting, the milky way suffers some kinda galaxy-wide disaster 'bout which Gromnir is otherwise ignorant? 

perhaps we need read more info 'bout andromeda, but am sensing the need for fundamental misconceptions 'bout stars and space to make andromeda plausible. 

oh, and a new battletech update were made available. looks as if beta is just 'round the corner.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1745111?ref=backer_project_update

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Seems like little changed from that, that's a good thing I guess.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra